Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Do you accept that Iran under the rule of the Shah was a puppet of the USA?
    Explain yourself.
    MetalBrain has wrongly claimed that the USA 'annexed' Iran and 'doubled down' on his claim.

"Annex: to incorporate (territory) into the domain of a city, country, or state."

I don't recall any discussion about people in Iran being eligible to vote in US elections (sarcasm).

By the way, the Shah of Iran was a client dictator, but not a 'puppet', of the USA.
    The Shah could make independent decisions. I doubt that the US government approved
    of the Shah deciding to buy British (Chieftain) tanks rather than more American tanks.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 06:13
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    MetalBrain has wrongly claimed that the USA 'annexed' Iran and 'doubled down' on his claim.

"Annex: to incorporate (territory) into the domain of a city, country, or state."

I don't recall any discussion about people in Iran being eligible to vote in US elections (sarcasm).

By the way, the Shah of Iran was a client dictator, but not a 'puppet', o ...[text shortened]... approved
    of the Shah deciding to buy British (Chieftain) tanks rather than more American tanks.
    Empires don't annex? What do you call it?
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 06:20
    Originally posted by @duchess64

By the way, the Shah of Iran was a client dictator, but not a 'puppet', o ...[text shortened]... approved
    BTW, Operation Ajax was a cooperative effort with the British to overthrow Iran. The British basically talked the USA into it. Claiming that sales to the British is evidence the Shah is not a puppet is weak. We all know the USA and British have worked for the same foreign policy goals since WW1. That special relationship has not changed.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 06:54
    Empires don't annex? What do you call it?
    Installing a puppet regime - which the U.S. did not even do in the case of Iraq - is not the same as annexing. After annexation, it would be officially part of the U.S., which Iraq obviously isn't. Crimea, however, is considered an integral part of the Russian Federation by its government.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 07:25
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Installing a puppet regime - which the U.S. did not even do in the case of Iraq - is not the same as annexing. After annexation, it would be officially part of the U.S., which Iraq obviously isn't. Crimea, however, is considered an integral part of the Russian Federation by its government.
    The USA installed a puppet government in Iraq. Bush even taught Al Maliki how to be a politician since he had no experience in politics. He certainly started out as a puppet, but things do sometimes change.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-19/us-slams-its-former-iraq-puppet-maliki-government-candidly-has-got-go

Empires today do not admit to controlling their de facto colonies. You can say the Philippines is not a colony of the USA and all of the history books in English will say that, but I say it is. Imperialists don't invade countries and just let them do what they want with complete independence afterwards. I know that is what you have been taught, but isn't it naive to believe it?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:42
    The USA installed a puppet government in Iraq. Bush even taught Al Maliki how to be a politician since he had no experience in politics. He certainly started out as a puppet, but things do sometimes change.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-19/us-slams-its-former-iraq-puppet-maliki-government-candidly-has-got-go

Empires today do not admit to ...[text shortened]... pendence afterwards. I know that is what you have been taught, but isn't it naive to believe it?
    You really need to stop forming your opinions based on alt-right blogs. Zero Hedge is a pro-Russian blog and if what you've said here is a fair reflection of what they are saying then it's a tu quoque argument. It's bizzare, drawing a parallel which is faulty to develop a fallacious argument.
  7. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:46
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    You really need to stop forming your opinions based on alt-right blogs. Zero Hedge is a pro-Russian blog and if what you've said here is a fair reflection of what they are saying then it's a tu quoque argument. It's bizzare, drawing a parallel which is faulty to develop a fallacious argument.
    Actually, your dismissal of the claim because you don't trust the source is also fallacious.