Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 10:153 edits
    I don't have the answer, but it looks like the British government is having all kinds of trouble figuring out how to uncouple itself from the EU.

Quoting a NY Times article:

Mrs. May has seen party discipline and her own authority shredded by successive parliamentary defeats, cabinet resignations and party defections over Brexit, and the vote on Friday left her even more battered — but apparently still in office.

I follow British politics only sporadically, but maybe the British government should go back to voters and ask them to reconsider their position on this issue, since British lawmakers can't seem to agree on how to do this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/world/europe/theresa-may-brexit.html
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 10:32
    @mchill said
    I don't have the answer, but it looks like the British government is having all kinds of trouble figuring out how to uncouple itself from the EU.

Mrs. May has seen party discipline and her own authority shredded by successive parliamentary defeats, cabinet resignations and party defections over Brexit, and the vote on Friday left her even mo ...[text shortened]... ree on how to do this.

You do know there’s a 91 page on this subject which is still going strong?
  3. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 11:08
    @shavixmir said
    Lol.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 16:121 edit
    @shavixmir

Yes, and did you know I wrote the original post on it?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 19:54
    @shavixmir said
    This thread is a specific issue that can progress without all the mud-slinging.
    (We hope.)
  6. Subscriberchessturdonline
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 20:31
    That other brexit thread was 70 pages of people calling each other a racist if they didn't agree with each other.
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 20:59
    @mchill said
    @shavixmir

Yes, and did you know I wrote the original post on it?
    Ultimate retort.
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    31 Mar '19 21:06
    @mchill said

Mrs. May has seen party discipline and her own authority shredded by successive parliamentary defeats, cabinet resignations and party defections over Brexit, and the vote on Friday left her even mo ...[text shortened]... ree on how to do this.

We are in uncharted territory. One thing is certain, the UK political and social landscapes have been changed forever. And why not, probably needed it.

Outcome: once the contents settle it will be more or less business as usual albeit with some different/new trading partners. Labour still won’t be in power solely because of Corbyn. Both parties will have to evolve massively. I look forward to seeing some new non-party political blood emerging as we’ve seen in Slovakia.
  9. Pacific Ocean
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 14:53
    The U.K. Said out. So, we are out - the left and politicians don't like it and are doing everything in there power to make a pig's breakfast of it. The silent majority are fed up with this nearly 3 year extraction. Maybe if the left didn't get us involved in the 'Lisbon Treaty' we wouldn't be at this point. Nobody seems to say this. And the media are having a field day. That said, today's news is tomorrows fish & chip papers..

We want our laws and trade rules back, end of...
  10. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 16:42
    @hells-caretaker said
    The U.K. Said out. So, we are out - the left and politicians don't like it and are doing everything in there power to make a pig's breakfast of it. The silent majority are fed up with this nearly 3 year extraction. Maybe if the left didn't get us involved in the 'Lisbon Treaty' we wouldn't be at this point. Nobody seems to say this. And the media are having a field da ...[text shortened]... , today's news is tomorrows fish & chip papers..

Any particular complaint about the Lisbon Treaty?
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 18:05
    @biffo-konker said
    Any particular complaint about the Lisbon Treaty?
    I'll go first:

1. It ended Britain’s right to veto new EU rules in more than 40 policy areas.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 19:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I'll go first:

1. It ended Britain’s right to veto new EU rules in more than 40 policy areas.
    Cornwall doesn't get to veto Westminster rules.

Freedom for Cornwall I say!
    (Plus I like their flag.)
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 19:15
    @hells-caretaker said

Which is your number 1 law you "want back"?
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    01 Apr '19 20:292 edits
    @hells-caretaker said
    The U.K. Said out. So, we are out - the left and politicians don't like it and are doing everything in there power to make a pig's breakfast of it. The silent majority are fed up with this nearly 3 year extraction. Maybe if the left didn't get us involved in the 'Lisbon Treaty' we wouldn't be at this point. Nobody seems to say this. And the media are having a field da ...[text shortened]... , today's news is tomorrows fish & chip papers..

As ghastly as the Lisbon Treaty is in other ways, there was no way to leave the EU before it.

Article 50 (designed by British diplomats) was part of that Lisbon package. Little did its creators know that it would be used against them.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '19 09:31
    @wolfgang59 said
    Which is your number 1 law you "want back"?
    All of them.

Including the right to have overly bent bananas.