02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 19:31
    Yea or nay?
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 19:471 edit
    America puts itself first when it supports its allies, gives aid to desperate people in far off lands who might otherwise support our enemies, protects the environment for future generations, supports public education so that our children will have the skills needed in an ever changing highly technological future world (home schooling and religious based schools are going to destroy our country's economic growth in a global economy), imposes rules and regulations that ensure our citizens will have food, products, services and work environments that are safe, provides every citizen with quality health care they can afford, provides every worker a minimum living wage. When employees earn so little that they require any form of tax advantages or welfare, we are really giving an entitlement to corporations. The list goes on. The current administration is putting the interests of the wealthiest and the greediest in the land ahead of all others. ( For those who will nitpick and agree with what I have listed yet criticize me for what I left out, the list does go on.)
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 19:53
    Originally posted by Phranny
    America puts itself first when it supports its allies, gives aid to desperate people in far off lands who might otherwise support our enemies, protects the environment for future generations, supports public education so that our children will have the skills needed in an ever changing highly technological future world (home schooling and religious based sch ...[text shortened]... ck and agree with what I have listed yet criticize me for what I left out, the list does go on.)
    So you are saying that putting corporate profits first is not necessarily the same as putting America first?
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 19:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yea or nay?
    Yea
  5. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 19:58
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    So you are saying that putting corporate profits first is not necessarily the same as putting America first?
    Correct.
  6. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '17 20:03
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I believe if we have top notch public education from pre-school through college, accessible to all regardless of their zip code, corporations will benefit. As Henry Ford wisely noted, corporations make more money by making products accessible to all. With a shrinking middle class, working people cannot save for their children's education, afford health care or save for their retirement. Corporations do not benefit when people are forced to shop at Goodwill and garage sales.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 09:25
    Yea or nay?
    yea or nay to a vague concept that would result in a complex issue even if properly defined.

do you think you are smart whodey? like generally? do you suspect that you think things through or at least superficially?
    i am sorry buddy, but you are kind of not. you come across really dumb and i am sorry for you
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 10:16
    Yea or nay?
    Whodey, you should know by now, the politicians are all about putting politicians first.

And it doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

Kind of a sucker question, looks like you hooked z already.
  9. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 10:57
    America First is a very nice phrase which can mean whatsoever you want it to mean and more fool you if you take that path. To interpret a vague political slogan like America First you have to give the phrase a context. What it means depends on where it is used. The point is that the phrase is doing work - it is a recruiting slogan in a political marketing campaign.

The ideological history of the phrase is part of its meaning - that is to say, the political impact of the phrase, the constituency it appeals to. As everyone knows, it takes America back to the attitudes of the Thirties, it reminds people that America was pushed by FDR into opposing instead of supporting fascism and appeals to those seeking to undo the work attributed to FDR.

However the most immediate context in which the phrase is employed is international relations and especially trade deals. The world has seen the emergence of a series of large trade blocs based on multilateral agreements, in which each party signs up to arrangements that meet common requirements, which might include a plethora of conditions and restraints. In major respects, this can [ it does not always] subordinate corporate interests to the public interest, a concept seen by the extreme neoliberals as the dreadful term "regulation." What corporations want is absolute free trade unrestrained by any social or environmental concerns whatsoever. What America First is about is a move to wreck multilateral agreements and impose bilateral trade deals dictated by America on its own terms.

But in addition, the phrase recognsies that there are trade blocs in place which the USA is not a part of and the biggest and most powerful of these, with a larger economy than the USA and with a trade surplus unlike the USA's deficit, is the European Union. Now keep repeating that - the supposed failing EU is far stronger and more successful than the supposedly mighty USA - it just spends less on its military these days. If you can't see how screwed the US economy really is then you are asleep. It is big enough to live without global trade of course, but fundamentally it is fractured and failing to serve its population's needs and interests - something that America First will not even try to address.

Another to which I occasionally refer is the The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO), or Shanghai Pact, which is a Eurasian political, economic, and military organisation which was founded in 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. On July 10, 2015, the SCO decided to admit India and Pakistan as full members. Only when you appreciate the strategic significance of that trade pact can you uncover the reasons for this adminsitration's preoccupation with Iran and the Islamic world - which is not that important as it stands but placed right in the centre of the SCO map. America desperately wants to have more control in the Eurasian region and America's colonial project in Israel is related to that imperial ambition.

Now which country in the world will be so abject as to accept such deals in place of seriously negotiated multilateral agreements? Step forward Therese May and the UK Tory Party, entirely in the pockets of the American Heritage Foundation and the ideological Right.

As for the USA bemoaning Russian intererence in American elections, take another look at the extensive American involvement in funding and supporting the Brexit campaign.

America First is indeed an innocent slogan behind America's continuing imperial ambitions and it should be exposed to more intelligent scrutiny than we see here. Most importantly, Americans need to recognise that their state is not engaged in supporting American corporations for the good of Americans because the state is not in charge. The Corporations have taken over the state and are building a dystopian future from which you would do well to escape while you still [possibly ] can.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 13:28
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Whodey, you should know by now, the politicians are all about putting politicians first.

And it doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

Kind of a sucker question, looks like you hooked z already.
    Yes, but politicians only put themselves first because it is what is best for the country.

In fact, an exploding national debt is really what is best for the country along with troops fighting all around the globe and government/corporate control over the country and the world. That is all what is really best for us, whether we realize it or not.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 13:28
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yea or nay to a vague concept that would result in a complex issue even if properly defined.

do you think you are smart whodey? like generally? do you suspect that you think things through or at least superficially?
    i am sorry buddy, but you are kind of not. you come across really dumb and i am sorry for you
    Me not understend
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 13:56
    Originally posted by Phranny
    America puts itself first when it supports its allies, gives aid to desperate people in far off lands who might otherwise support our enemies, protects the environment for future generations, supports public education so that our children will have the skills needed in an ever changing highly technological future world (home schooling and religious based sch ...[text shortened]... ck and agree with what I have listed yet criticize me for what I left out, the list does go on.)
    America leads best from behind
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    America leads best from behind
    Yes, with our pants pulled down and us bent over
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 14:38
    Yes, with our pants pulled down and us bent over
    That's how Obama likes it.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    13 Mar '17 15:40
    "America first" is an entirely meaningless slogan along the lines of "God bless America" etc. etc.