Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 25 Mar '17 22:57
    Over the objections of the US government, a federal judge has granted
    political asylum to an atheist dissident student from Singapore.

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/25/singapore-teen-blogger-who-criticised-government-wins-asylum-in-us

    "Singapore teen blogger who criticised government wins asylum in US:
    Amos Yee left the city state with the intention of staying in US after
    being jailed for several weeks in 2015 and 2016."

    "Amos Yee, 18, had been detained by federal immigration authorities since
    December when he was taken into custody at Chicago’s O’Hare International airport.
    But on Friday immigration judge Samuel Cole paved the way for his
    release, which attorneys said could come as early as Monday.
    “Yee has met his burden of showing that he suffered past persecution
    on account of his political opinion and has a well-founded fear of future
    persecution in Singapore,” "

    "Yee left Singapore with the intention of seeking asylum in the US after
    being jailed for several weeks in 2015 and 2016. He was accused of
    hurting the religious feelings of Muslims and Christians; Yee is an atheist.
    However, many of his blog and social media posts criticized Singapore’s
    leaders. He created controversy in 2015 as the city-state was mourning
    the death of its first prime minister and he posted an explicative-laden
    video about prime minister Lee Kuan Yew just after his death."

    "Department of Homeland Security attorneys had opposed the asylum
    bid, saying Yee’s case did not qualify as persecution based on political
    beliefs. It was unclear whether they had appealed the decision or if Yee
    would have to remain imprisoned if they did. Attorneys have 30 days to appeal."

    I would add that Singapore requires national service (military conscription)
    for its male citizens and permanent residents starting at age 18.
    So I suspect that Singapore may accuse Amos Yee of dodging its draft.
  2. 25 Mar '17 23:08 / 1 edit
    Someone in the US needs to reel the judiciary in, its getting out of hand now.
  3. 25 Mar '17 23:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Someone in the US needs to reel the judiciary in, its getting out of hand now.
    Why does Robbie Carrobie apparently object to Amos Yee receiving political asylum in the USA?
  4. 25 Mar '17 23:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Why does Robbie Carrobie apparently object to Amos Yee receiving political asylum in the USA?
    Because he is brat like you.

    The Straits Times reported that Yee's mother had filed a police report against her son because she was unable to control his behaviour. Yee's mother, Mary Toh, later told The Online Citizen that she had filed a police report on 29 March, "not ... to have my son arrested", but in response to Yee publishing a vulgar image online despite her objections, leading her to fear for his safety.

    Disrespectful to parents, disrespectful to society, needlessly insulting others, causing his own mother to feel fear and trepidation because of his online antics! uncontrollable! Is this the kind of boorish brat that you want in your country? I doubt it.
  5. 25 Mar '17 23:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Because he is brat like you.

    The Straits Times reported that Yee's mother had filed a police report against her son because she was unable to control his behaviour. Yee's mother, Mary Toh, later told The Online Citizen that she had filed a police report on 29 March, "not ... to have my son arrested", but in response to Yee publishing a vulgar imag ...[text shortened]... ics! uncontrollable! Is this the kind of boorish brat that you want in your country? I doubt it.
    Even if Amos Yee's a 'brat', does Robbie Carrobie believe that a 'brat' deserves to be imprisoned?
  6. 25 Mar '17 23:36 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Even if Amos Yee a 'brat', does Robbie Carrobie believe that a 'brat' deserves to be imprisoned?
    Yes, he was uncontrollable causing his own mother grief. Infact I would make him work in prison doing manual labour instead of pushing buttons all day. Maybe that will sober him up.
  7. 25 Mar '17 23:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes, he was uncontrollable causing his own mother grief. Infact I would make him work in prison instead of pushing buttons all day.
    If someone became a fanatical Jehovah's Witness agitator, causing one's parents grief,
    then would Robbie Carrobie demand that this person be imprisoned?
    I would add that Jehovah's Witness agitators tend to be disliked, even by most Christians.
  8. 25 Mar '17 23:43 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    If someone became a fanatical Jehovah's Witness agitator, causing one's parents grief,
    then would Robbie Carrobie demand that this person be imprisoned?
    I would add that Jehovah's Witness agitators tend to be disliked, even by most Christians.
    There is no such thing. Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to respect and obey the government and to respect ones parents. We are routinely incarcerated and banned from meeting openly in Singapore though, but we never resort to the cheap gimmicks of this juvenile reprobate. His poor mother!
  9. 25 Mar '17 23:45 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    There is no such thing. Jehovah's Witnesses are taught to respect and obey the government.
    We are routinely incarcerated and banned from meeting openly in Singapore though,
    but we never resort to the cheap gimmicks of this juvenile reprobate.
    Robbie Carrobie evades my point that someone becoming a Jehovah's Witness agitator
    could cause grief to one's parents, given that Jehovah's Witness agitators are widely disliked.

    Robbie Carrobie seems incapable of comprehending that the US legal standard for political
    asylum requires proving a well-founded fear of persecution for one's political beliefs.
    A federal judge decided that Amos Yee has met that standard.
  10. 25 Mar '17 23:46
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Robbie Carrobie seems incapable of comprehending that the US legal standard for political
    asylum requires proving a well-founded fear of persecution for one's political beliefs.
    A federal judge decided that Amos Yee has met that standard.
    Indeed which is why they need to be reeled in. I am sure there are far more deserving cases than this brat that intentionally went out of his way to insult others.
  11. 25 Mar '17 23:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Indeed which is why they need to be reeled in. I am sure there are far more deserving
    cases than this brat that intentionally went out of his way to insult others.
    The reality that Amos Yee could prove a well-founded fear of political persecution is
    independent of anyone else proving a well-founded fear of political persecution.

    The abusive troll Robbie Carrobie has 'intentionally gone out of his way to insult others'
    (such as Muslims) many times, but he remains oblivious to his own extreme hypocrisy.
  12. 26 Mar '17 00:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The reality that Amos Yee could prove a well-founded fear of political persecution is
    independent of anyone else proving a well-founded fear of political persecution.

    The abusive troll Robbie Carrobie has 'intentionally gone out of his way to insult others'
    (such as Muslims) many times, but he remains oblivious to his own extreme hypocrisy.
    I rarely if ever go out of my way to insult anyone. Regardless of whether he satisfies the prerequisites for asylum, he is still an undesirable and one would have thought that his criminal convictions would have barred him from entry. How he got a visa begs belief. Perhaps you can throw some light on how he attained it.
  13. 26 Mar '17 00:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I rarely if ever go out of my way to insult anyone. Regardless of whether he satisfies the prerequisites for asylum, he is still an undesirable and one would have thought that his criminal convictions would have barred him from entry. How he got a visa begs belief. Perhaps you can throw some light on how he attained it.
    "I rarely if ever go out of my way to insult anyone."
    --Robbie Carrobie

    Indeed, the abusive troll Robbie Carrobie insults people naturally and routinely.

    "You are what you are RC [Robbie Carrobie]. And you continue your long history of being "a hypocrite and a liar".
    You dish out false accusations faster than anyone I can think of."
    --ThinkofOne (to Robbie Carrobie)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_Yee

    "Yee's imprisonment drew criticism from human rights organizations, including
    Amnesty International, which considered Yee to be a prisoner of conscience."

    Amos Yee may say or do some things that I personally regard as in bad taste or wrong.
    But that alone does not justify his imprisonment or political persecution.
  14. 26 Mar '17 00:30 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I rarely if ever go out of my way to insult anyone."
    --Robbie Carrobie

    Indeed, the abusive troll Robbie Carrobie insults people naturally and routinely.

    "You are what you are RC [Robbie Carrobie]. And you continue your long history of being "a hypocrite and a liar".
    You dish out false accusations faster than anyone I can think of."
    --ThinkofOne ...[text shortened]... bad taste or wrong.
    But that alone does not justify his imprisonment or political persecution.
    I don't think you have leave to term anyone abusive not given your track record of habitually abusing everyone who dares question your narrative, or hypocrisy for that matter.

    How did he attain his visa? You cannot board a flight to the US without one. I suspect that he paid an agent who bribed someone making him guilty of being complicit in corruption. Was his conduct unlawful? then he must be prosecuted, one cannot simply claim expediency on the basis that his insults are political.
  15. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    26 Mar '17 00:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I rarely if ever go out of my way to insult anyone.
    Jehovah wept.