Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 14:191 edit
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    I had no clue the world had 200+ recognized countries, no idea where Namibia ranked.
    In reviewing the list, there were several countries whose names I had never heard and which I would have never known or heard about for the rest of my life. Guaranteed there isn't a single world leader who can name all 233 countries, let alone fill their names in on a world map.
    What does it even mean to say that a county "ranks" somewhere? Ranks in what sense? Namibia is in the world's Top 5 producers and exporters of uranium. You might think, in these times of nuclear proliferation, that that would be a useful thing for the President of the United States to know. I bet Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping know where it is and how to pronounce its name.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 14:46
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    What does it even mean to say that a county "ranks" somewhere? Ranks in what sense? Namibia is in the world's Top 5 producers and exporters of uranium. You might think, in these times of nuclear proliferation, that that would be a useful thing for the President of the United States to know. I bet Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping know where it is and how to pronounce its name.
    I'm certain you know fully well the nearly countless ways a country could be listed "in order according to..."
    Without challenge, Trump knows enough of the country's existence and internal operations to at minimum speak approvingly of its health care system.
    Do you mean to suggest that his omission of a single syllable somehow eliminates any other information he has on the topic?
    Have we really become that petty?
    Certified pure academics make similar and worse mistakes; do you discount their CV's as a result?
    Soetoro-Obama misspoke hundreds of times, including an indication he just might not know how many states make up the Union.
    Bush?
    Clinton?
    Literally every other world leader?
    Come on.
    Get serious.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 16:39
    I'm certain you know fully well the nearly countless ways a country could be listed "in order according to..."
    Without challenge, Trump knows enough of the country's existence and internal operations to at minimum speak approvingly of its health care system.
    Do you mean to suggest that his omission of a single syllable somehow eliminates any other info ...[text shortened]... make up the Union.
    Bush?
    Clinton?
    Literally every other world leader?
    Come on.
    Get serious.
    Trump was reading a statement that was prepared for him. He doesn't know anything about the U.S. health care system, let alone the Namibian one.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 19:21
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Trump was reading a statement that was prepared for him. He doesn't know anything about the U.S. health care system, let alone the Namibian one.
    Plus the well known fact he is functionally illiterate not because he can't read but because he WON'T which is pretty sad and explains why he uses such a lame platform as twitter.

He can't THINK in more than one sentence at a time and those takes a couple of hours to compose. I hope he gets arrests as a traitor much less impeached. Most likely neither will happen since he controls so much power.

I hope he further gets even more stung by losing this health care vote supposedly line in the sand lime on Sept 30. Nothing would please me more, well, except him getting arrested for the shyster bullshyte artist deadbeat narcissistic sociopath he really is.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 19:22
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Can't read but does read?
    How can you determine when it's a win?
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 19:444 edits
    [b]I could readily discuss some of Namibia's 20th century history without looking it up.
    Of course you could, dear.
    Everyone knows: you've either had first-person experience with helping establish many heads of state since the late 50's, and those not fortunate enough to have received your invaluable insight and analysis still benefited from your ex ...[text shortened]... rmatism.
    No distinction escapes your keen eye.
    No factoid is beyond your purview, your domain.[/b]
    The sneering troll FreakyKBH attempts another excuse of his hero Donald Trump's ignorance.
    Not everyone's as historically ignorant as most ethnocentric Americans appear proud to be.

As a historian, I am aware of the genocide in Namibia that took place in the early 20th century.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

As a reader of newspapers, I am aware of Namibia's War of Independence against apartheid South Africa.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Border_War

"Despite being largely fought in neighbouring states, the South African Border War had a
    phenomenal cultural and political impact on South African society.[42] The country's apartheid
    government devoted considerable effort towards presenting the war as part of a containment
    programme against regional Soviet expansionism[43] and used it to stoke public anti-communist sentiment.[44]
    It remains an integral theme in contemporary South African literature at large and Afrikaans-language
    works in particular, having given rise to a unique genre known as grensliteratuur
    (directly translated "border literature" ).[37]"

I own at least several books (published in South Africa) about this war in Namibia.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Sep '17 20:141 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    The sneering troll FreakyKBH attempts another excuse of his hero Donald Trump's ignorance.
    Not everyone's as historically ignorant as most ethnocentric Americans appear proud to be.

As a historian, I am aware of the genocide in Namibia that took place in the early 20th century.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

As a reader ...[text shortened]... " ).[37]"

I own at least several books (published in South Africa) about this war in Namibia.
    Dammit!
    I forgot "sneering troll."
    My humble apologies, m'lady.

But--- minor correction--- no national leader is anywhere near "hero" status, albeit none more than Trump.
    At least his garrrish, outlandish and quite frankly, repulsive behavior just might be enough to wake people up, make people realize this whole thing is nothing more than an updated version of Bread and Circus, Punch 'N Judy, television, sports or the internet.
    He's so over the top, it's comical.
    And they're laughing at all of us whilst intoning:
    Look deep into my eyes...

It's that cheesy, but we lap it up.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 01:05
    Originally posted by @teinosuke to FreakyKBH
    Whereas recent US Presidents tend to have been lawyers (Donald Trump's an exception),
    the recent leaders of China tend to have backgrounds in engineering:
    Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao worked as engineers. Xi Jinping studied engineering.

What does this mean? An American analyst noted that, unlike some American presidents
    (who might never have studied calculus), Chinese leaders should have learned enough
    mathematics to follow numerically-based arguments (including about climate change).
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 01:181 edit
    Originally posted by @teinosuke to FreakyKBH
    I would say that majoring to the point of expertise in everything geopolitical ought to be a basic, indeed essential, qualification for anyone who seeks high office - particularly anyone who occupies a role which has foreign policy responsibilities.
    As a child--without really trying--I learned the names, locations, and basic facts about almost every country in the world.
    (If I got confused, it was by misplacing the locations of some island countries in the Pacific or Caribbean.)
    I did not have any particular career motive in mind, such as becoming a flight attendant.
    My father (naively) once suggested that I consider the foreign service, though, given my
    family background, I doubt that my application could have withstood the political vetting.

That reminds me of an incident during the Second World War. The Chinese Communists
    had purchased medical supplies abroad and wished to have them delivered (breaking
    through the Japanese blockade) via French Indochina. Japan exerted pressure upon
    the Vichy French authorities to stop the Chinese from receiving their medical supplies.
    A Communist Chinese diplomat was sent to persuade the Vichy French in Indochina.

The French were stunned by her. She was Anna Wang (nee von Kleist), the daughter
    of a famous Prussian military aristocratic family. As a fiercely anti-Nazi and anti-racist
    German of Marxist sympathies, she married Wang Bingnan, a Chinese Communist then
    in exile in Berlin. Acquiring a Chinese passport, she left with him to her new home in China.
    Speaking about fluent French, Anna Wang charmed the Vichy French authorities in Indochina
    into allowing the shipment of medical supplies to proceed to the Chinese Communists.
    Anna Wang later wrote _Ich Kämpfte für Mao_, a memoir of her life.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 08:55
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    As a child--without really trying--I learned the names, locations, and basic facts about almost every country in the world.
    (If I got confused, it was by misplacing the locations of some island countries in the Pacific or Caribbean.)
    I did not have any particular career motive in mind, such as becoming a flight attendant.
    My father (naively) once sugge ...[text shortened]... d to the Chinese Communists.
    Anna Wang later wrote _Ich Kämpfte für Mao_, a memoir of her life.
    The hits just keep on coming.