Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    30 Dec '17 14:56
    Equally, the title could read: So you think you’re gay, do you?

A very interesting article from the BBC about the invention of heterosexuality; that sexuality is something other that a reproductive drive, that the term changed in the early 20th century and that the perceived moral of homosexuality being unnatural stems more from stoicism than the bible.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170315-the-invention-of-heterosexuality

I wonder what you all think of it!
  2. 30 Dec '17 19:25
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_fluidity

"Sexual fluidity is one or more changes in sexuality or sexual identity (sometimes known
    as sexual orientation identity). There is significant debate over whether sexuality is stable
    throughout life or is fluid and malleable. Scientific consensus is that sexual orientation,
    unlike sexual orientation identity, is not a choice.[1][2][3] While scientists generally believe
    that sexual orientation is usually stable (unlikely to change),[4][5][6] sexual identity can
    change throughout an individual's life, and may or may not align with biological sex,
    sexual behavior or actual sexual orientation.[7][8][9] There is no consensus on the exact
    cause of developing a sexual orientation, but genetic, hormonal, social and cultural influences
    have been examined.[3][10][11] Scientists believe that it is caused by a complex interplay
    of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences."
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    30 Dec '17 20:22
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_fluidity

"Sexual fluidity is one or more changes in sexuality or sexual identity (sometimes known
    as sexual orientation identity). There is significant debate over whether sexuality is stable
    throughout life or is fluid and malleable. Scientific consensus is that sexual orientation,
    unlike sexual orientation i ...[text shortened]... that it is caused by a complex interplay
    of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences."
    I foresee such a copy & pasted technical explanation not sitting well with our dearest if Christian posters.
  4. 30 Dec '17 21:40
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I foresee such a copy & pasted technical explanation not sitting well with our dearest if Christian posters.
    Nor with ones who like an honest, self-penned post.
  5. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    31 Dec '17 11:50
    Equally, the title could read: So you think you’re gay, do you?

A very interesting article from the BBC about the invention of heterosexuality; that sexuality is something other that a reproductive drive, that the term changed in the early 20th century and that the perceived moral of homosexuality being unnatural stems more from stoicism than the bible ...[text shortened]... com/future/story/20170315-the-invention-of-heterosexuality

I wonder what you all think of it!
    Hello Shav,

it is clear to you that all vertrebrates rely on heterosexuality for reproduction?

"Homosexual reproduction" is impossible biologically. If beings are male and female than you need one of each to mingle genes, even if parthogenesis which provides a "clone" of her moother is not unheard of.

In Ancient greek homosexuality was an accepted lifestyle (at least with the very rich men), but nobody would have thought that any offspring would come from that.

A lot of old cultures with no connection to christendom looked at homosexuality as an abberation. That an expression is only found in the late 19th century is a nice quirk for a journalist to obtain attention. That people went on and had sex is manifested by our sheer existence!
  6. 31 Dec '17 13:01
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    In Ancient greek homosexuality was an accepted lifestyle (at least with the very rich men), but nobody would have thought that any offspring would come from that.
    Well, not quite. Pederasty was. No self-respecting ancient Greek would admit to being in a gay relationship with another adult, let alone being the bottom. Ancient Greece is often cited as a great example of tolerance for homosexuality, but it really, really wasn't. It was a great example of tolerance for boy rape, which even Stephen Fry would admit is not the same thing.
  7. 31 Dec '17 14:13
    quite a few here need a course on the birds and the bees.
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    02 Jan '18 07:44
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Here's one for you:
    Most women know exactly why some men drive huge 4x4's.

Same reason why some men talk big on a chess website.

Overcompensation.
  9. 02 Jan '18 09:53
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Here's one for you:

Overcompensation.
    Should of course be pointed out that if a similar remark had been made, but concerning women instead of men, both you and the crazy cat lady that roams these forums would have been screeching "Sexism" and "White male dominated forum" and whatnot.
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    02 Jan '18 13:04
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Hello Shav,

it is clear to you that all vertrebrates rely on heterosexuality for reproduction?

"Homosexual reproduction" is impossible biologically. If beings are male and female than you need one of each to mingle genes, even if parthogenesis which provides a "clone" of her moother is not unheard of.

In Ancient greek homosexuality was an accept ...[text shortened]... alist to obtain attention. That people went on and had sex is manifested by our sheer existence!
    Yes. I am aware of how manmals reproduce.

I’m also aware that you’re responding to an article you didn’t read. For that’s one of the main points it is about:
    The difference between reproductive sex vs recreational sex and the difference between sex and sexuality.
  11. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    02 Jan '18 13:13
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    I presume you didn’t read the article either.

Let’s see if I can help you:

Do you masturbate?
    It doesn’t serve the reproduction program of humanity though... so is it a perversion?

Masturbation is playing with same sex genitals.
    Now, say you are married to an opposite gender partner: does masturbating mean you are less heterosexual?

Now, say it isn’t a reflection on your sexuality, this means it’s a sexual act without defining you one way or another.

Now, say that having non-reproductive sex in any form is exactly the same: not a reflection on your sexuality.

Isn’t that an interesting concept?

Take history into account: acts of homosexual nature were frowned upon / banned.
    But heterosexuality / homosexuality didn’t actually exist before the 1920’s.

That’s the article summed up.
  12. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    02 Jan '18 13:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Should of course be pointed out that if a similar remark had been made, but concerning women instead of men, both you and the crazy cat lady that roams these forums would have been screeching "Sexism" and "White male dominated forum" and whatnot.
    I wasn't speaking to you, GKR.

No need to act "offended".
  13. 02 Jan '18 13:36
    Here's one for you:

Overcompensation.
    awe...did you get your feelings hurt? hun I have been married 42 years and have children and grandchildren, I don't need any four wheel drive to impress anyone.
  14. 02 Jan '18 13:37
    I wasn't speaking to you, GKR.

No need to act "offended".
    nah, no need to be offended by your attack on men...nah just let it slide.
  15. 02 Jan '18 13:38
    I presume you didn’t read the article either.

Let’s see if I can help you:

Do you masturbate?
    It doesn’t serve the reproduction program of humanity though... so is it a perversion?

Masturbation is playing with same sex genitals.
    Now, say you are married to an opposite gender partner: does masturbating mean you are less heterosexual?

Now, say ...[text shortened]... ality / homosexuality didn’t actually exist before the 1920’s.

That’s the article summed up.
    so you are jerking off in your moms basement and you think everyone does it? LMFAO!