Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 May '15 09:57
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/01/opinion/ghitis-police-shootings/

On average, at least one person is killed by a cop every day in the U.S. In contrast, not a single one was killed in Britain last year, where police fired their guns a grand total of three times, according to The Economist. In 2011, when the FBI [police shooting suspects is seriously under reported btw] reported 404 justifiable law enforcement homicides in the U.S., police killed six people in Australia, two in England, six in Germany.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/02/iceland-armed-police-shoot-man-dead-first-time
    Iceland's armed police make first ever fatal shooting

http://theindependent.ca/2015/04/14/stop-the-killing-fatal-police-shootings-in-canada/
    some people in Canada are currently scandalized that they've been averaging an estimated 25 deaths a year.
  2. 04 May '15 10:00
    The above show how the mentioned countries are doing on cops shooting people. Here is a potential cause that you can ignore:

http://www.cracked.com/article_21880_6-reasons-beyond-racism-why-cops-keep-killing-people.html

" Like America, most of the countries we mentioned have had big gun massacres in the past 25 years. Unlike America, they've actually done something about it. In Australia, for example, 35 people were killed by a mentally ill gunman in 1996, and they reacted by immediately passing stricter laws that forced gun owners to surrender some types of firearms.
    For Canada, it was a 1989 massacre that made them create a registry of gun owners and require extensive background checks, plus a 28-day wait before you can hold your precious death dispenser in your hands. School shootings in Germany (2002) and the UK (1996) made them heavily restrict and outright ban the sale of handguns to regular people, respectively. And it's working! According to a Harvard study, America's murder rate is 15 times higher than countries with tighter gun laws -- Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before they changed the law, and none in the 18 years that followed. Gee, it's starting to look an awful lot like having fewer guns around means having fewer gun-related tragedies.

And of course, that also changes the disposition police officers have toward you. English bobbies can afford to go on patrol with basically no means of self-defense except tasers and those pointy hats, but American cops are trained to be afraid of us because we might have guns. And obviously we can't just get rid of our guns now, because they are dang cool and awes-- uh, protection. We need them for protection, yeah. Lord knows the cops aren't going to help you in an emergency; they're too busy shooting people who might have guns."
  3. 04 May '15 10:02
    to summarize:

those countries have gun control, not gun bans and it works.

now please ignore everything i wrote, don't bother to fact check the numbers or try to make sense of them.
    if you can be bothered, please remind me how having a gun is a natural right, i never get tired of hearing that crap.
  4. 04 May '15 10:17
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    to summarize:

those countries have gun control, not gun bans and it works.

now please ignore everything i wrote, don't bother to fact check the numbers or try to make sense of them.
    if you can be bothered, please remind me how having a gun is a natural right, i never get tired of hearing that crap.
    Perhaps they think George IV is going to come back to America and make them all loyal subjects again?
  5. 04 May '15 10:47
    Funny, the very people you want to take guns away from the citizens you fail to say how many people they have killed with guns. My guess is that the US military has killed far more people last year than both private citizens and the police combined.
  6. 04 May '15 11:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Funny, the very people you want to take guns away from the citizens you fail to say how many people they have killed with guns. My guess is that the US military has killed far more people last year than both private citizens and the police combined.
    congrats, you made a comment entirely unrelated to the topic. you win an "irrelevant cookie" award.
  7. 04 May '15 18:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Perhaps they think George IV is going to come back to America and make them all loyal subjects again?
    It was George III...
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    04 May '15 19:19

On average, at least one person is killed by a cop every day in the U.S. In contrast, not a single one was killed in Britain last year, where police fired their guns a grand total of three times, according to The Economist. In 2011, when the FBI [police shooting suspects is seriously unde ...[text shortened]... e in Canada are currently scandalized that they've been averaging an estimated 25 deaths a year.
    I agree, as an American I think our gun laws are outdated and stupid. I'm 60 years old, have not owned a gun in 35 years, and have never needed a gun. American's have been brainwashed into thinking they need a gun. I think Europe has a better idea of how to run things. (Which means I'm looked upon as not a REAL American)
  9. 04 May '15 19:43
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    It was George III...
    sure
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 May '15 20:19

On average, at least one person is killed by a cop every day in the U.S. In contrast, not a single one was killed in Britain last year, where police fired their guns a grand total of three times, according to The Economist. In 2011, when the FBI [police shooting suspects is seriously unde ...[text shortened]... e in Canada are currently scandalized that they've been averaging an estimated 25 deaths a year.
    Canada's population is roughly 1/10 that of the US. So 25 a year is only a little better than the US' one per day.
  11. 05 May '15 11:08
    Originally posted by sh76
    Canada's population is roughly 1/10 that of the US. So 25 a year is only a little better than the US' one per day.
    pay attention.

400 are just the "justifiable" kills and only the ones the FBI reported. you can't get a number of police kills in many states.
  12. 05 May '15 15:16
    Originally posted by bill718
    I agree, as an American I think our gun laws are outdated and stupid. I'm 60 years old, have not owned a gun in 35 years, and have never needed a gun. American's have been brainwashed into thinking they need a gun. I think Europe has a better idea of how to run things. (Which means I'm looked upon as not a REAL American)
    I hope you live to be a hundred and never need a gun. I've carried a gun for an 50 year working life, and I most likely would not be alive save for that fact. I certainly would not have been able to continue in my line of work. Europe has its ways, and if Europeans like them, more power to them. Without the US, Europeans would probably be all speaking German or Russian. We aren't about to follow Europe down a rabbit hole.
  13. 05 May '15 15:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not only that, but aside from a half dozen or so large cities, Canada's population is very rural, where people don't interact much. No crime, no disputes, no police or other shootings.

The population, and culture of many of Z's examples make them hardly relevant to what happens in the US, or policies here.

Z would love the gun regulations in Detroit from the '20s forward, which were racist based on fear mongering by the KKK after a black MD, Dr. Sweet defended his home against white racists, and shot one of them.

Nobody could buy a firearm, long gun or pistol, in Detroit without a permit to purchase, and other than cops nobody could carry a concealed pistol. That was what I found when I moved here in 1966. According to Z's calculations that ought to have made Detroit a paradise where there were no gun deaths. Exactly the opposite was true. Detroit in those days was known as the murder capital of the US. Thugs on the street were well armed. I discovered that I could buy any gun I wanted out of the trunk of a car, up to and including full auto AKs, without troubling myself with the license and registration. After my second robbery in about three months, a cop advised me to carry without a license, 'better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6'.

Laws banning owning guns, or limiting carry, benefit only the lawless, who will defy any law, and they encourage the lawful to become lawless, as these laws are contrary to our natural right to self defense.

My advise to Z is to return to Albania, where firearms are banned and enjoy that paradise.
  14. 05 May '15 15:51
    pay attention.

400 are just the "justifiable" kills and only the ones the FBI reported. you can't get a number of police kills in many states.
    My conclusion, just based on your numbers, would be that police and the military ought to not be allowed to carry weapons.
  15. 05 May '15 21:29
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I hope you live to be a hundred and never need a gun. I've carried a gun for an 50 year working life, and I most likely would not be alive save for that fact. I certainly would not have been able to continue in my line of work. Europe has its ways, and if Europeans like them, more power to them. Without the US, Europeans would probably be all speaking German or Russian. We aren't about to follow Europe down a rabbit hole.
    "Without the US, Europeans would probably be all speaking German or Russian."
    woohoo, the "we saved you from the nazis, so shut it" argument. it never gets old.

"I've carried a gun for an 50 year working life, and I most likely would not be alive save for that fact."
    you do realize the term is gun control, not gun ban? yes, under normal people rules (not americans), you would have had to prove that you can use a gun. that you are not psychotic. then wait a reasonable period of time. then carry a gun for 50 years.