Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 17:15
    http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/nicksorrentino/2015/03/28/some-people-just-want-to-be-ruled-and-some-just-dont-n1977507

This place makes me think some do want ruled, and they will protect
    those that would rule them over those that demand they carry their own
    weight in taking care of themselves. Could be wrong, what do you think?
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 18:44
    Isn't this an ironic thread for a Christian to make?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 18:47
    its odd to me that some Americans make a fuss about their perceived levels of freedom and rail against government rules and regulations..........then get down on their knees and prey to a god who dictates how they should live their life with a giant list of rules and regulations....ohhh the irony!!!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 19:30
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    its odd to me that some Americans make a fuss about their perceived levels of freedom and rail against government rules and regulations..........then get down on their knees and prey to a god who dictates how they should live their life with a giant list of rules and regulations....ohhh the irony!!!
    Have you considered that possibility that he might be one of those that wants to be ruled? He is a Trump supporter after all and it is well known that Trump is the 'strongman' type leader that basically says he will do everything for you and you just have to sit back and he will keep you safe. Trump appeals to those that do not want to think for themselves.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 20:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Have you considered that possibility that he might be one of those that wants to be ruled? He is a Trump supporter after all and it is well known that Trump is the 'strongman' type leader that basically says he will do everything for you and you just have to sit back and he will keep you safe. Trump appeals to those that do not want to think for themselves.
    And they don't want anyone else thinking for them either, which is why they support Mr. Trump.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 20:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What f***ing campaign have you been watching?!?
    Trump is speaking to the issues that thinking citizens consider tantamount to the survival of their nation.
    But wait!
    There's more!
    For thousands of years, historians have been warning anyone who will listen how the very issues which Trump has pushed to the forefront of this election cycle have been recurring themes in the downfall of every democracy since nation states were first established.
    Lack of protection for a country's culture and core values spell it's certain and eventual demise.
    Trump's no genius in this regard: anyone who has ever studied history can tell you the very same thing.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 21:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    Isn't this an ironic thread for a Christian to make?
    Christians who support the right have an incredibly thin line to tread.

I don't see how any of them do it.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Lack of protection for a country's culture and core values spell it's certain and eventual demise.
    And people claiming that a lack of protection for a country's culture and core values was a problem have been instrumental in bringing about said demise. Read a bit about this obscure historical event for some prime examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    It's ironic, yes, but not for the reasons you claim.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 21:14
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    What f***ing campaign have you been watching?!?
    Trump is speaking to the issues that thinking citizens consider tantamount to the survival of their nation.
    But wait!
    There's more!
    For thousands of years, historians have been warning anyone who will listen how the very issues which Trump has pushed to the forefront of this election cycle have bee ...[text shortened]... no genius in this regard: anyone who has ever studied history can tell you the very same thing.
    Trump is an authoritarian liar.

That is what he's "on about".
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 21:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Trump is an authoritarian liar.

That is what he's "on about".
    I believe both of them fit that description.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 21:532 edits
    Principally, I am convinced, he speaks to those who are concerned about what Bill O’Reilly lamented as the breakdown of the “white, male, Christian power structure” in 2007 (I would add “heterosexual” today). That does not comprise all of his supporters, obviously—but, underneath the dog-whistle rhetoric and the clever "<shrug> I don’t know” deniability, that seems to be the core.

Example: His general demonization of Mexican immigrants was not about border security—and it was not restricted to illegals—it was about ethnic demonization. With the concession that “Some, I assume, are good people” [my italics] serving the triple purpose of (1) allowing him to play down the generalization if necessary, while (2) blaming the media and others for mis-characterizing his remarks (by focusing on the sweeping generalization), and (3) leaving the general demonization essentially untouched. It’s not a subtle game, but it seems to work for a lot of people.

“The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do. That's why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular.” Donald Trump, The Art of the Deal.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 22:02
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Principally, I am convinced, he speaks to those who are concerned about what Bill O’Reilly lamented as the breakdown of the “white, male, Christian power structure” in 2007 (I would add “heterosexual” today). That does not comprise all of his supporters, obviously—but, underneath the dog-whistle rhetoric and the clever "<shrug> I don’t know” deniability, th ...[text shortened]... e biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular.” Donald Trump, The Art of the Deal.
    This must be true because those who support her have order less bowel movements.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 22:07
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    This must be true because those who support her have order less bowel movements.
    Huh?
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '16 23:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's ironic, yes, but not for the reasons you claim.
    please feel free to expand, or at least explain the error in my claim.