Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Jan '15 02:58 / 2 edits
    Very upbeat opening ("that's good news, folks"- nice line; I wonder if it was improvised) but also feisty and combative at times.

He's also speaking very quickly with a high IPM (ideas per minute) rate, which I'm sure some people won't like, but I find refreshing in a politician.

He sounds like someone with nothing to lose.

I don't know if they keep stats on these things, but I'll bet this one has as high a number of clauses per minute as any SOTU in recent history.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Jan '15 03:04
    He's back to the hope and change mantra from '08.

He's good enough to make you even believe for a few seconds that we can actually be bipartisan.

How is Ernst going to "respond" to this?

"No. We have to keep bickering over nonsense, folks!"?
  3. 21 Jan '15 06:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Very upbeat opening ("that's good news, folks"- nice line; I wonder if it was improvised) but also feisty and combative at times.

He's also speaking very quickly with a high IPM (ideas per minute) rate, which I'm sure some people won't like, but I find refreshing in a politician.

I don't know if they keep st ...[text shortened]... but I'll bet this one has as high a number of clauses per minute as any SOTU in recent history.
    I'm not so sure that many people know what a clause is.

quote:

As Obama began to explain that he has "no more campaigns left to run," some Republicans in the audience began to applaud.

The president paused and replied by saying, "I know because I won both of them."

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/obamas_state_of_the_union_reto.html
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    21 Jan '15 08:04

I don't know if they keep st ...[text shortened]... but I'll bet this one has as high a number of clauses per minute as any SOTU in recent history.
    I'd be interested to see how well his message of middle class economics tracks with both sides of the political divide.
  5. 21 Jan '15 14:01
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I'd be interested to see how well his message of middle class economics tracks with both sides of the political divide.
    So far, quite predictably. Obama is priming the pump for the 2016 election, helping the GOP paint itself as the POP -- the party of the privileged.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Jan '15 14:04
    Originally posted by JS357
    So far, quite predictably. Obama is priming the pump for the 2016 election, helping the GOP paint itself as the POP -- the party of the privileged.
    Last night was not about 2016. It was about his legacy.
  7. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    21 Jan '15 15:18

Just a thought, but it took me until the third post to work out what the heck you were talking about. We've heard of the State of the Union Address, but to people outside the US SOTU is a little obscure.
  8. 21 Jan '15 15:35
    Last night was not about 2016. It was about his legacy.
    Then he's dreaming if he actually believes his proposals will get through congress. But while he dreams, the democratic party leaders will allow the GOP to do itself in.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Jan '15 15:38
    What I can stand about SOTU addresses is that it's never very informative. It's all about getting people to applaud at timely intervals. Bush was the same way.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Jan '15 17:04
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Just a thought, but it took me until the third post to work out what the heck you were talking about. We've heard of the State of the Union Address, but to people outside the US SOTU is a little obscure.
    Good point. I apologize.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    21 Jan '15 17:41
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Yes, somehow middle-class Republicans have bought into the idea that old, rich, white men know best how to make their lives better, if only they agree to not tax them and to let them destroy the environment is small price to pay for the opportunity to remain under their thumb.

But I have to say, Joni Ernst's "poor little rich girl" act was the comedic highlight of the night.
  12. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    21 Jan '15 17:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    What I can stand about SOTU addresses is that it's never very informative. It's all about getting people to applaud at timely intervals. Bush was the same way.
    Come on, it's a pep rally. Surely, you've seen pep rallies before.
  13. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    21 Jan '15 23:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, somehow middle-class Republicans have bought into the idea that old, rich, white men know best how to make their lives better, if only they agree to not tax them and to let them destroy the environment is small price to pay for the opportunity to remain under their thumb.

But I have to say, Joni Ernst's "poor little rich girl" act was the comedic highlight of the night.
    Couldn't agree with you more. It never ceases to amaze me how the
    aspirational carrot can so successfully be used to lead people to vote against their own best interests.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '15 00:09
    Ralph Nader had a good take on the speech:

RALPH NADER: Well, he was too vague on that. What he should have done is said that Ronald Reagan supported capital gains and dividend taxes like ordinary income, so there wasn’t this split where the rich get lower tax on their capital gains or dividend. And he didn’t tie in any idea of revenues for the public works program that he touted.

You know, Amy, State of the Union speeches are signaling presentations. They signal by what they say, how they say it and what they don’t say. And on that criteria, it wasn’t a very coherent speech. He stressed civil liberties and never mentioned what he’s going to do about the renewal of the notorious PATRIOT Act provisions. He said that there should be more oil and gas production, and then he warned about climate change. He said there should be strengthening unions and voices of workers, and then he took it away with the Trans-Pacific trade agreement, which exports jobs, and he wants to ram through Congress a voiceless fast track that prohibits amendments and labor from having a role in that deliberation.

And he didn’t even mention the hundreds of billions of dollars of commercial fraud on Medicare and Medicaid and patients in the private sector—hundreds of billions of dollars of corporate crime he never mentioned. He could have done a convergence with the Republicans on auditing the Pentagon, which sounds dull, but it’s a huge issue that the rank and file on both sides support, in contrast to the leadership in Congress. He could have easily converged, because as senator, Senator Obama teamed up with Senator Coburn, the Republican, to put the full text of hundreds of billions of dollars of corporate contracts online, so competitors, taxpayers, the media, the academia can analyze and prune the huge waste, fraud and corruption.

Also notice that he said again, "Close down Gitmo." We’ve heard that song before. Again, he didn’t mention the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at all.

And I think what is most troubling is what he avoided saying, like he desperately needs funding for his programs, like day care and so on. And he didn’t mention the squeeze on the IRS budget by the Republicans, so the IRS now cannot begin to collect what they say is $300 billion of evaded taxes every year. That’s $300 billion of evaded taxes, not avoided taxes, which David Cay Johnston will be talking about.

So, I think he missed a lot of opportunities. And it was not specific enough. It was not coherent enough. And he could have gone for more convergence with the Republicans, [gratuitous book plug omitted]

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/1/21/ralph_nader_on_what_was_missing
  15. 22 Jan '15 00:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Middle class people get screwed by the Republicans and the Democrats.