Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Feb '17 05:18 / 3 edits
    https://theintercept.com/2017/02/02/press-secretary-sean-spicer-falsely-accuses-iran-of-attacking-u-s-navy-vessel-an-act-of-war/

After a mere two weeks, Trump's administration has displayed breath-taking incompetence. Trump's White House press secretary falsely claimed that Iran attacked U.S. ships---an act of war---when reality, it was Yemen rebels that attacked a Saudi naval vessel.

"“I think General Flynn was really clear yesterday that Iran has violated the Joint Resolution, that Iran’s additional hostile actions that it took against our Navy vessel are ones that we are very clear are not going to sit by and take".

"Major Garrett of CBS News quietly corrected him, saying “a Saudi vessel,” and Spicer then responded almost inaudibly: “Sorry, thank you, yes a Saudi vessel. Yes, that’s right.” He did not in any way address his false claim that it was an Iranian attack, however."

The apparent source of the mix-up? Fox News misreported that U.S. ships were the "real" target. So instead of getting info from a credible government source, the President of the United States is getting false info from Fox News.

To anyone who doesn't grasp the gravity of this situation, from the article:

"This, of course, is how American wars start. In the infamous 1964 “Gulf of Tonkin incident,” as it is often referred to, the White House and the Pentagon accused North Vietnamese forces of attacking two Navy destroyers in the Gulf of Tonkin off Vietnam on August 4. President Lyndon Johnson used the attacks to coax Congress into approving a resolution, known as the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, that authorized military action in Vietnam. As the New York Times noted a few years ago, the “attack never happened.”
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Feb '17 05:20
    I wonder if G.W. claps with delight at no longer being considered the worst U.S. president of all time.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    03 Feb '17 05:36
    Sanctions declared on Iran

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-usa-idUSKBN15H253
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    03 Feb '17 05:37
    Do Americans know the difference between Yemen, Iran and Korea?

Or do they consider them all the same kind of Muslim State because they're so close to each other?

5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    03 Feb '17 05:39
    Originally posted by shavixmir

Or do they consider them all the same kind of Muslim State because they're so close to each other?

Depends on the American. The Man in the Street knows Korea is not Muslim, knows Iranians are Muslims and has never heard of Yemen.
  6. 03 Feb '17 12:58
    Originally posted by vivify
    "This, of course, is how American wars start.
    Actually, how american wars start is:
    1. Someone has a financial interest in starting a war.
    2. The american people get duped into supporting it - usually because they think they will get something out of it too.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Feb '17 13:15
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's obvious the Trump administration doesn't.
  8. 03 Feb '17 13:33
    It's obvious the Trump administration doesn't.
    Did you support the Iraq war back in the day?
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    03 Feb '17 14:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Did you support the Iraq war back in the day?
    No, not at all. However, I was a Christian (and therefore conservative) back in those days, so I wasn't *as* critical of the invasion back then. I tried to find silver linings and possible positive outcomes, like democracy being spread. But even then, I was completely against the war.
  10. 03 Feb '17 14:21 / 2 edits
    https://theintercept.com/2017/02/02/press-secretary-sean-spicer-falsely-accuses-iran-of-attacking-u-s-navy-vessel-an-act-of-war/

After a mere two weeks, Trump's administration has displayed breath-taking incompetence. Trump's White House press secretary falsely claimed that Iran attacked U.S. ships---an act of war---when reality, it was Yemen rebels that ...[text shortened]... ary action in Vietnam. As the New York Times noted a few years ago, the “attack never happened.”
    So if it can be proved that Iran was arming and financing the Yemen attackers then should Iran at least be held partially responsible?

Should Trump go along with the charade that Iran is not a terrorist state who is keeping their end to the Obama edict with them?
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    03 Feb '17 16:09
    No, not at all. However, I was a Christian (and therefore conservative) back in those days, so I wasn't *as* critical of the invasion back then. I tried to find silver linings and possible positive outcomes, like democracy being spread. But even then, I was completely against the war.
    I was against going into Iraq. I thought at the time, and still do, that we should have gone into Afghanistan to find Osama bin Laden directly, instead of W's retribution on Saddam for dissing his daddy. But he also had the backing of the closet Libertarians in his cabinet who wanted an opportunity for another failed Libertarian experiment in Iraq. A sad waste of life we can lay directly at the Republicans' feet, along with the Democrats who supported it. So "Obama and Hillary created ISIS"? No, it was Cheney and Rumsfeld. Yet another Trump lie.
  12. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    03 Feb '17 16:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually, how american wars start is:
    1. Someone has a financial interest in starting a war.
    2. The american people get duped into supporting it - usually because they think they will get something out of it too.
    Not always. Sometimes we just get pushed too far; as evidence I offer the Revolutionary War and our involvement in WW2.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    03 Feb '17 16:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    Should Trump go along with the charade that Iran is not a terrorist state who is keeping their end to the Obama edict with them?
    You really are a piece of work.
  14. 03 Feb '17 16:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You really are a piece of work.
    Looking in te mirror again?
  15. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    03 Feb '17 17:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if it can be proved that Iran was arming and financing the Yemen attackers then should Iran at least be held partially responsible?

What do you mean by terrorist state?