Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 14:41
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Imagine what a deceitful, dishonest person you must be to twist what I said into a horrible straw man argument and attack my character with it.
    Amen
  2. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 14:44
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Yes it would be just to separate you from your kids had you done it enough to warrant incarceration. People who are incarcerated get separated from their kids all the time. And the two offenses are not equal anyway. Illegal immigration is a worse offense in my view, and warrants incarceration by its nature for public safety.

Also this is an important t ...[text shortened]... cing the law? If they don't like it there's a simple solution... don't come to the US illegally.
    Yeah, why do lefties bitch about SS officers gassing Jews? They were just enforcing the law.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 14:55
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Yeah, why do lefties bitch about SS officers gassing Jews? They were just enforcing the law.
    You can shove that comment where the sun don't shine, ahole.

This tired tactic of trying to make all conservatives into racist monsters has zero power, except to galvanize us into action. Please keep it coming. Meanwhile, GFYS.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 14:58
    Yes it would be just to separate you from your kids had you done it enough to warrant incarceration. People who are incarcerated get separated from their kids all the time. And the two offenses are not equal anyway. Illegal immigration is a worse offense in my view, and warrants incarceration by its nature for public safety.

Also this is an important t ...[text shortened]... cing the law? If they don't like it there's a simple solution... don't come to the US illegally.
    You could also say the same for people driving without a licence: that they are a public safety issue, since they've either proven unable to pass a driving test or had their licence removed for being an unsafe driver. Yet, taking away such a person's kids as punishment would be unjust.

Saying illegals should be incarcerated "for public safety" is flying dangerously close to bigotry.
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 15:041 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify
    You could also say the same for people driving without a licence: that they are a public safety issue, since they've either proven unable to pass a driving test or had their licence removed for being an unsafe driver. Yet, taking away such a person's kids as punishment would be unjust.

Saying illegals should be incarcerated "for public safety" is flying dangerously close to bigotry.
    When people go to jail they are separated from their families. Why should this not be equally applied to illegal immigrants?

As to your second point, no it isn't.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 15:08

This tired tactic of trying to make all conservatives into racist monsters has zero power, except to galvanize us into action. Please keep it coming. Meanwhile, GFYS.
    Never called you a "racist monster" or even implied that you were. Take a breath and have a cup of green tea.

My analogy, obviously, was meant to indicate that "it's the law, so don't complain" is not a valid argument, esp. when the merits of the law are under discussion AND the law doesn't even mandate children-snatching as a penalty in the first place.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 15:15
    When people go to jail they are separated from their families. Why should this not be equally applied to illegal immigrants?
    You're missing the point.

The Trump administration is deliberately increasing the severity of punishment for illegals to include separating them from their kids. We're not talking about well-established laws agreed upon by law makers, where losing children is an unintended consequence. This law is deliberately manufactured to punish illegals by taking away their kids. That's why Sessions made it clear to stress that specific consequence.

This is the immoral part, and why this administration's actions are immoral.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 15:21
    Never called you a "racist monster" or even implied that you were. Take a breath and have a cup of green tea.

My analogy, obviously, was meant to indicate that "it's the law, so don't complain" is not a valid argument, esp. when the merits of the law are under discussion AND the law doesn't even mandate children-snatching as a penalty in the first place.
    You played the Nazi card KN, and received the response you deserved.

The only people doubting the merits of enforcing immigration law are corporations trying to hang on to a source of cheap labor to the detriment of American workers like my own kids, the politicians they've bought, and Democrats wanting a new permanent underclass to pander to. I'm going fishing now.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 15:32
    You played the Nazi card KN, and received the response you deserved.

The only people doubting the merits of enforcing immigration law are corporations trying to hang on to a source of cheap labor to the detriment of American workers like my own kids, the politicians they've bought, and Democrats wanting a new permanent underclass to pander to. I'm going fishing now.
    I am not a corporation trying to hang on to a source of cheap labour.

If you want to improve the lives of your children, ask yourself what more prosperous societies are doing. Hint: try voting a bit less in favour of using more and more resources to pamper the ultra-wealthy, and vote a bit more in favour of improving people's lives. You are actively sabotaging your childrens' future, and you are arrogant to dismiss the views of intellectuals who know better what is good for you and your children than you do.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:18
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra to Sleepyguy

If you want to improve the lives of your children, ask yourself what more prosperous societies are doing. Hint: try voting a bit less in favour of using more and more resources to pamper the ultra-wealthy, and vote a bit more in favour of improving people's lives. You ...[text shortened]... s the views of intellectuals who know better what is good for you and your children than you do.
    "If you (Sleepyguy) want to improve the lives of your children ..."
    --KazetnNagorra (to Sleepyguy)

'Your children'? Whose children are they? Where do they belong?
    Does not the US government want to deport them along with their parents?
  11. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:23

Amen.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:25
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    If the parents decide to sell heroin with the hope of making lots of money, for a better life, is that okay too?

Which laws are okay for parents to break?
    If that’s what they gotta do then it’s ok. Why are they so desperate that they have to resort to that? The economy is so hostile to workers because of the wealthy.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:26
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    The parents broke the law.

What part of that do you NOT understand?

My heroin selling hypothetical was to show the hypocrisy here.

P.S. I always use reply and quote....unless....the person's comment I am replying to was addressed to someone else, calling them an idiot.

Happy? 🙂
    You would be the type of snitch who would enforce the runaway slave act if you lived back then wouldn’t you?
  14. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:261 edit
    No, you're a dishonest troll that makes up straw man arguments and attacks the character of others with it.

The parents knew full well what would happen if they got caught. They put their own children at risk. The children are held in a separate detention center and are being treated and fed well. Until the law changes that's just the way it is. Someone claiming that anyone who supports law and order ALSO supports cooking Jews in ovens... is a dishonest scumbag.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    16 Jun '18 18:281 edit
    Good point but Godwin’s Law