Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 10:54
    I wanna get in on the Post-a-Murder business as well:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/26/europe/france-normandy-church-hostage/index.html
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 11:16
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I wanna get in on the Post-a-Murder business as well:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/26/europe/france-normandy-church-hostage/index.html
    I've just seen this; horrible. All deaths are terrible of course but I feel especially sad and upset for the 80 year old priest who had his throat slit. He'd been serving the local community for decades.

Are all these attacks really isolated incidents.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 13:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That depends on what you would consider isolated.

At this point in time I think it's safe to say every attack and subsequent media attention is fuel for one new nutcase to get all medieval on whomever he feels needs to die.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 14:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I've just seen this; horrible. All deaths are terrible of course but I feel especially sad and upset for the 80 year old priest who had his throat slit. He'd been serving the local community for decades.

Lone wolf, Crusades, Crusades, nothing to see here.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 14:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    [bnothing to see here.[/b]
    That's the spirit!
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 16:38
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    That's the spirit!
    I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I will be a White House Spokesperson in no time 😵
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 16:411 edit
    Sorry, I just can't pretend like Dims do anymore

The attack was from ISIS. Surprise, surprise, Mo strikes again,

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-hostage-takers-inside-normandy-church-neutralized-police-093807016--abc-news-topstories.html
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 17:11
    Sorry, I just can't pretend like Dims do anymore

The attack was from ISIS. Surprise, surprise, Mo strikes again,

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-hostage-takers-inside-normandy-church-neutralized-police-093807016--abc-news-topstories.html
    Pretend what? The facts are important. This seems to have been ISIS inspired. Dreadful but kindly avoid the level of panic we hear so often as you declare the end is nigh. Notice the rapid deployment of armed police and the shooting dead of the culprits - presumably just what you would wish.

Maybe being a survivor of the IRA campaign of bombings gives me a different perspective. Sad but not the end of civilisation as we have known it - just a continuation of the unacceptable violence we are so depressed by.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 17:542 edits
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Pretend what? The facts are important. This seems to have been ISIS inspired. Dreadful but kindly avoid the level of panic we hear so often as you declare the end is nigh. Notice the rapid deployment of armed police and the shooting dead of the culprits - presumably just what you would wish.

Maybe being a survivor of the IRA campaign of bombings give ...[text shortened]... as we have known it - just a continuation of the unacceptable violence we are so depressed by.
    Actually I was hoping they would take their time and have a few more donuts before going to the crime scene.

Life is too short, you need to smell the roses a bit. 😛

Luckily, the IRA seems to have quieted down a bit, however, Islamic terrorists are only increasing the violence, however.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 19:40
    Originally posted by finnegan

Maybe being a survivor of the IRA campaign of bombings give ...[text shortened]... as we have known it - just a continuation of the unacceptable violence we are so depressed by.
    Strange how (relative) peace in Northern Ireland didn't come about through declaring war on citizens, isn't it?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 19:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Strange how (relative) peace in Northern Ireland didn't come about through declaring war on citizens, isn't it?
    Listen, just as soon as Islam takes over the world and Sharia law becomes the law of the land, we can have peace........until the Shia and Sunni engage in battle to have the right type of Sharia law, but I think that is only common sense.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 19:572 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester to Great King Rat
    I've just seen this; horrible. All deaths are terrible of course but I feel especially sad and upset for the 80 year old priest who had his throat slit.
    He'd been serving the local community for decades.

Why should the murder of an '80 year old priest' be considered worse than, say, that of a 2 year old child?
    Simply because he was a priest and some people put more importance on the lives of religious people?
    Some people who don't share his religious beliefs might believe that his lifelong devotion
    to spreading religious propaganda was not the most valuable contribution to humankind.

To consider it from another perspective, the killing of an 80 year old man did not deprive him
    of many more years of expected life in contrast to the killing of a healthy 2 year old child.
    Who knows what the child may have done in the course of an expected span of life?

I regret, of course, that the priest--or anyone else--was murdered. But I don't accept the
    special sentimentalizing (if that's what it's called) of bad things happening to religious people.
    If there was a murder of an 80 year old atheist who had spent one's career working to help
    disadvantaged children, then would there be a similar sentimentalizing of that death?

During the Spanish Civil War, Franco's propaganda attached great importance to the alleged
    rapes of Catholic nuns (which might have happened, at most, in very few cases) by his enemies,
    while ignoring or excusing the much higher number of rapes committed by his soldiers.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 20:49
    Listen, just as soon as Islam takes over the world and Sharia law becomes the law of the land, we can have peace........until the Shia and Sunni engage in battle to have the right type of Sharia law, but I think that is only common sense.
    I think for Islam to "take over the world" people need to be mostly Muslim, which is tricky considering prosperity tends to diminish the influence of religion.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 21:59
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Why should the murder of an '80 year old priest' be considered worse than, say, that of a 2 year old child?
    Simply because he was a priest and some people put more importance on the lives of religious people?
    Some people who don't share his religious beliefs might believe that his lifelong devotion
    to spreading religious propaganda was not the most valu ...[text shortened]... enemies,
    while ignoring or excusing the much higher number of rapes committed by his soldiers.
    I think as a Priest he is "a man of peace" and so symbolic of non-combatants.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Jul '16 22:102 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I think as a Priest he is "a man of peace" and so symbolic of non-combatants.
    It's not necessarily true that clerics--whether Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc.--are 'men of peace'.
    I can think of many examples of clerics who advocated violence against their perceived enemies.
    Indeed, some clerics themselves have taken up arms to fight against their enemies.