Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    05 Feb '17 00:04
    Affirmative Action at it's best.

A bill submitted to the Rhode Island legislature by Rep. Anastasia P. Williams, a Democrat, would impose a race qualification on future judicial nominations in the state.

It’s already drawing reaction from experts who believe it won’t be allowed.

UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh quoted from Williams’ plan.

Williams proposes that whenever a trial judge “who is a person of color leaves the bench, for whatever reason, their replacement must be a person of color, so as not to diminish the number of judges of color in that court.”

Volokh said that such a “rigid racial allotment would be a pretty clear violation of the Equal Protection Clause, I think, even given the narrow forms of race-based preferences that the Supreme Court has allowed; and I think it would violate the even more explicit provision in the Rhode Island Constitution.”

http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/state-lawmaker-proposes-race-based-judicial-selections/
  2. 05 Feb '17 00:12
    Originally posted by checkbaiter

A bill submitted to the Rhode Island legislature by Rep. Anastasia P. Williams, a Democrat, would impose a race qualification on future judicial nominations in the state.

W ...[text shortened]... titution.”

http://www.wnd.com/2017/02/state-lawmaker-proposes-race-based-judicial-selections/
    And if a white or asian position opens, then the same race must be hired?
  3. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    05 Feb '17 00:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think it would have to be someone "of color ", so if they had color, I suppose yes.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    05 Feb '17 00:18

W ...[text shortened]... titution.”

So what? One lawmaker proposed an obviously unconstitutional law that has no chance of passage..
  5. 05 Feb '17 00:19
    I think it would have to be someone "of color ", so if they had color, I suppose yes.
    I wonder if we can do that for the Presidency too. We will always have Orange presidents.
  6. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    05 Feb '17 00:43 / 1 edit
    Since the Rhode Island police, legal profession and judiciary are overwhelmingly white, and the people they convict are more often black, while about 25% of the population there are black, what is the evidence that white people are suffering a disadvantage here? There only are three non white judges out of about 90 - any fewer and things become a bit beyond ridiculous. (My source sadly got drowned out by pop up advertising that would not go away.)

White people are in fact doing overwhelmingly better -with more opportunities and more support - so this deluded outbreak of white victimhood is an unpleasant joke. If this proposal cannot be implemented, then what can be done in a system that is imposing mass incarceration and prison slavery on its black people?
  7. 05 Feb '17 01:00
    So you believe that it must be the result of racism, not simply that the black population simply has a high percentage of people who break the law and are justly arrested.

Interesting coming from a person with no first hand knowledge.
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Feb '17 01:24 / 4 edits
    So you believe that it must be the result of racism, not simply that the black population simply has a high percentage of people who break the law and are justly arrested.

Interesting coming from a person with no first hand knowledge.
    A white kid recently got away with brutally sodomizing a developmentally disabled black teen; another white kid got away with killing four people while driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol...because of "affluenza", meaning he "didn't know any better" due to being rich all his life.

A white cop also choked Eric Garner to death---who was on the ground and in cuffs while being held down by other officers on video---and still escaped any charges...even though Garner clearly says "I can't breathe" in the video.

So you have to ask yourself: how many whites would be convicted under similar circumstances if the judge was a person of color? Now, ask yourself how many minorities would get the same special treatment that the whites I mentioned got, with minority judges? Would we see black kids get away with sodomizing whites?

It's not unreasonable that minority judges would change the conviction rates for both white and black defendants. Maybe whites aren't convicted of as many crimes because whites are shown favoritism in the courts that blacks don't get.
  9. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    05 Feb '17 01:26
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Since the Rhode Island police, legal profession and judiciary are overwhelmingly white, and the people they convict are more often black, while about 25% of the population there are black, what is the evidence that white people are suffering a disadvantage here? There only are three non white judges out of about 90 - any fewer and things become a bit beyo ...[text shortened]... be done in a system that is imposing mass incarceration and prison slavery on its black people?
    So you are a proponent of Affirmative Action? Do you honestly think this is fair practice?
  10. 05 Feb '17 01:30
    Originally posted by vivify
    A white kid recently got away with brutally sodomizing a developmentally disabled black teen; another white kid got away with killing four people while driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol...because of "affluenza", meaning he "didn't know any better" due to being rich all his life.

A white cop also choked Eric Garner to death, while was on th ...[text shortened]... icted of as many crimes because whites are shown favoritism in the courts that blacks don't get.
    It is unreasonable for people to believe all whites are racists.
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Feb '17 01:32
    It is unreasonable for people to believe all whites are racists.
    Strawman. No one is saying that.
  12. 05 Feb '17 01:38 / 1 edit
    Strawman. No one is saying that.
    You are blaming the problems on racism without knowing the truth. Black culture has a high portion of poverty culture which breeds criminals. It is the culture that breeds poverty thats the issue.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Feb '17 01:40 / 1 edit
    You are blaming the problems on racism without knowing the truth. Black culture has a high portion of poverty culture which breeds criminals. It is the culture that breeds poverty thats the issue.
    Why is it okay for you to say blacks "breed criminals", but not okay to say that whites breed racists?
  14. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    05 Feb '17 01:42
    Why is it okay for you to say blacks "breed criminals", but not okay to say that whites breed racists?
    Both blacks and whites breed racists and criminals.
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Feb '17 01:47
    Both blacks and whites breed racists and criminals.
    I agree. This is why we need equal representation in the courts.