Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 03:32
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/straight-pride-flag-1.4872572

Residents in a central New Brunswick village are seeking an apology from officials who allowed a "straight pride" flag to be raised in the centre of town.

The appearance of the flag, which was taken down after almost a full day, was met with outrage from some residents, but the man who helped raise it says it wasn't meant to hurt the LBGT community of Chipman, a village of some 1,100 people, about 60 kilometres east of Fredericton.

New Brunswick's first openly trans candidate 'doing it for a whole community'
    History of LGBT community in New Brunswick being compiled
    Chipman resident Glenn Bishop and 11 others met over the past few months to find ways to show support for straight people.

"We are not against the gay pride people at all," Bishop said. "I'm not against gay people; anybody's sexual preference is their choice."

Bishop told CBC News he went to the mayor about two months ago and asked to fly the flag.

"He said, 'Sure we represent all groups of people,' and I agree with that," said Bishop.

The flag — which depicts interlinked male and female symbols on a background of black and white horizontal lines — has been raised by some conservative groups in the U.S. in response to gay pride events.
  2. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 06:09
    If all groups within the community deserve some amount of representation by flyign their flag and celebrating their unique aspects... Then it makes sense.

But surely, on some level, we all know this to be absurd.

I think part of it is that the right recognizes teh flying of the "LGBTQ" flag and other gestures as highly political in nature, and thus they want to use their own power to display their own symbols, not necessarily because they feel "marginalized" as straight people, but because they feel marginalized as conservatives and it is a direct way to counter it.

Is that legitimate?

If it is a highly political, and victorious gesture to fly the gay flag... and the Left relishes the opportunity to fly it... Why should not the right relish the opportunity to counter it?

IDK, interesting topic.
  3. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 09:02
    @vivify said
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/straight-pride-flag-1.4872572

Residents in a central New Brunswick village are seeking an apology from officials who allowed a "straight pride" flag to be raised in the centre of town.

The appearance of the flag, which was taken down after almost a full day, was met with outrage from some residents, but the man who help ...[text shortened]... s — has been raised by some conservative groups in the U.S. in response to gay pride events.
    “Met with outrage”

😆
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 18:33
    Personally, I do not see anything wrong with a "straight pride" flag. While I suppose it is somewhat redundant, to say that it is hateful or offensive is silly. People are acting like "straight pride" is somehow mutually exclusive with (or against) "gay pride". Actually, I find all all these terms to be cringeworthy. I can't even bring myself to write them outside of quotation marks.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 19:00
    @ashiitaka said
    Personally, I do not see anything wrong with a "straight pride" flag. While I suppose it is somewhat redundant, to say that it is hateful or offensive is silly. People are acting like "straight pride" is somehow mutually exclusive with (or against) "gay pride". Actually, I find all all these terms to be cringeworthy. I can't even bring myself to write them outside of quotation marks.
    At Donald Trump's rallies, the television cameras should focus upon the signs of
    'Whites for Trump' or "Men for Trump' rather than of 'Blacks for Trump' or 'Women for Trump'.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 19:03
    One would have to be absurdly naïve to think that a straight-pride
    flag was anything other than a dig at the LGBT community.

It is like celebrating a lack of disability at the paralympics.
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 19:262 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    One would have to be absurdly naïve to think that a straight-pride
    flag was anything other than a dig at the LGBT community.

The point is that it shouldn't be offensive. Of course it's a dig, but you have to be quite fragile to be offended by it or take the bait... "Straight pride" isn't offensive. In fact, by reacting, the LGBT community only gives them the satisfaction of knowing that they hit a sore point. If there was no reaction, it would be an embarrassing flop.

It's just a flag that says "straight pride" (male and female symbols interlocked). There are bigger fish to fry.
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 20:001 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    Lol. So being gay is like a disability?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 20:12
    @divegeester said
    Lol. So being gay is like a disability?
    (Divegeester replied to Wolfgang59.)

The sneering Divegeester misses the point that, like disabled people, gay people encounter adverse discrimination.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 20:28
    @duchess64 said

The sneering Divegeester misses the point that, like disabled people, gay people encounter adverse discrimination.
    And straight people never do encounter discrimination?

Interesting.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 21:251 edit
    @whodey said

Interesting.
    especially straight white males like myself ... 🙁
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 03:52
    @whodey said

Interesting.
    A false conclusion and obviously NOT INTERESTING.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 05:10
    @wolfgang59 said
    A false conclusion and obviously NOT INTERESTING.
    false?
    it may be uninteresting but I gotta tell ya right now , white males get the hell discriminated out of them.
    Haters can always find other grounds to discriminate ...age .. financial situation... toothlessness... haircut... good clothes ... bad clothes.
    If you really want to understand discrimination I suggest you steer away from the basic 'white male privilige' type discrimination that duchess goes on about. Its so much deeper than that.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 05:12
    @duchess64 said

you discriminate against me all the time but I dont hound you at every turn...
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 05:59
    @karoly-aczel said
    false?
    it may be uninteresting but I gotta tell ya right now , white males get the hell discriminated out of them.
    Haters can always find other grounds to discriminate ...age .. financial situation... toothlessness... haircut... good clothes ... bad clothes.
    If you really want to understand discrimination I suggest you steer away from the basic 'white male privilige' type discrimination that duchess goes on about. Its so much deeper than that.
    Suggest you read the posts again.
    I agree that anyone can face some form of discrimination.