Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Germany
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 07:45
    @sh76 said
    Given a convict the choice of serving a long prison term or getting a spanking, or even a Michael Fay style caning.

Dollars to donuts I know which one most of them are picking.

Give a kid the choice of a swat or two or a weekend with no friends and doing nothing but homework and reading schoolbooks.

My point is it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Which one is best in the circumstances can fairly be left to the discretion of a reasonable parent.
    Given the results of the 2016 election, perhaps you should reconsider the notion that a parent will typically be "reasonable."
  2. Subscriberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 09:45
    @KazetNagorra I enjoy a good spanking and am quite happy to pay for it at my local brothel.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 09:59
    @sh76 said
    Given a convict the choice of serving a long prison term or getting a spanking, or even a Michael Fay style caning.
    Depends on your exchange rate.
    If a spanking is deemed better or equivalent to an hour in their bedroom
    then a day would be ... a severe spanking?
    a week a thrashing?
    a year several thrashings?
    10 years ... being beaten half to death every day for a month?

And if floggings were preferable both for society and the criminal ...
    why do we not use them?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:17
    @wolfgang59 said
    Depends on your exchange rate.
    If a spanking is deemed better or equivalent to an hour in their bedroom
    then a day would be ... a severe spanking?
    a week a thrashing?
    a year several thrashings?
    10 years ... being beaten half to death every day for a month?

And if floggings were preferable both for society and the criminal ...
    why do we not use them?
    ===Depends on your exchange rate. ===

Precisely. And that was my entire point on this thread. Lumping them all into one category is pointless.

===And if floggings were preferable both for society and the criminal ...
    why do we not use them?===

Because the people, acting through their elected representatives, have chosen not to.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:19
    @kazetnagorra said
    Given the results of the 2016 election, perhaps you should reconsider the notion that a parent will typically be "reasonable."
    That's right, KN. We all already knew that you're so much smarter and cooler than the common unwashed masses.

Now we know that you also know how to parent their children better than they do.

Can I be you? Please?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:21
    @sh76 said
    ===Depends on your exchange rate. ===

Precisely. And that was my entire point on this thread. Lumping them all into one category is pointless.

===And if floggings were preferable both for society and the criminal ...
    why do we not use them?===

Because the people, acting through their elected representatives, have chosen not to.
    So "the people" do not think flogging criminals is beneficial.
    Do you agree or disagree with them?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:30
    @wolfgang59 said
    So "the people" do not think flogging criminals is beneficial.
    Do you agree or disagree with them?
    I tend to agree with them. The way they do flogging in Singapore and the like is a little crazy.

And it's really an entirely different animal than spanking.

But you knew that.

Still, if the people voted for flogging as an alternative to, say, a year in prison, I'd have no moral issue with it.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:34
    @sh76 said

But you knew that.

Still, if the people voted for flogging as an alternative to, say, a year in prison, I'd have no moral issue with it.
    When does spanking become the same animal as flogging?
    Where is the line if they are different animals?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 13:40
    @sh76

Time outs are also a form of discipline, but it can also turn into abuse.

Some kids are locked in a closet for extended periods of time, which can be seen as abuse.

Then again, some parents don't discipline their kids in any way, which I think is also a form of abuse because children need correction as we all do.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 14:41
    @wolfgang59 said
    When does spanking become the same animal as flogging?
    Where is the line if they are different animals?
    Somewhere in the wide, wide, double-wide gulf between an open handed swat on the bottom and what they did to Michael Fay.

There's a gray area somewhere in the middle, sure. But neither of those poles is anywhere near the gray area.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 14:42
    @whodey said
    @sh76

Some kids are locked in a closet for extended periods of time, which can be seen as abuse.

Then again, some parents don't discipline their kids in any way, which I think is also a form of abuse because children need correction as we all do.
    Yup; agreed.
  12. Subscriberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 14:49
    @sh76 said
    Yup; agreed.
    a smacked arse never hurt anyone.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 15:43
    @sh76 said
    That's right, KN. We all already knew that you're so much smarter and cooler than the common unwashed masses.

Now we know that you also know how to parent their children better than they do.

Can I be you? Please?
    Don't know about "cooler," but surely you can't seriously claim there are any Trump voters "smarter" than I am?

In any case, there are lots of morons out there, and we shouldn't assume they will automatically do what's best for their children.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 15:46
    @whodey said
    @sh76

I tried correcting you many times to no avail - yet somehow I doubt punching you in the face will do any good.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Nov '18 18:574 edits
    @sh76 said
    I tend to agree with them. The way they do flogging in Singapore and the like is a little crazy.

But you knew that.

(Sh76 replied to Wolfgang59.)

I already have written about typical American hysteria or hypocrisy over caning in Singapore.
    First of all, the practice of caning was introduced by the British during their colonial rule,
    when no Westerners (as far as I know) had any objection to it being applied.
    Singapore inherited that practice as well as many other British colonial practices.

Second, Michael Fay was 18 years old (legally an adult) when he received four strokes.
    At the same time, a 16 year old Hong Kong Chinese lad received more strokes for a lesser offense.
    I don't recall any American objection to caning him. Indeed, the real American objection is
    'How dare Singapore apply its laws to a white American--who surely should be
    privileged above them--in a similar, albeit even lesser, way that it applies it to Asians!'

Evidently, white Americans (like Sh76) seriously object to non-whites applying
    corporal punishment to whites, while they tend to lack such objections to it being
    applied toward non-whites (who may be presumed to be less fragile or evolved
    enough in capacity for experiencing pain).