Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 19:45
    @duchess64 said
    In an earlier generation in my family, some children (boys more than girls) might
    have been beaten so hard that suffered lasting physical or emotional damage.
    They (and I) believe that was wrong.

"I got spanked a few times as a child. I'm not permanently damaged by it."
    --Ash

I suspect that many, if not most, people have had similar experiences.
    In an earlier generation in my family, some children (boys more than girls) might

My father is certainly very emotionally damaged by what he went through. His father (himself very damaged by the war) thought him too soft, so he shipped him off to South Africa, age 17, and enlisted him in the SADF. My grandfather said that it would make a man out of him.

Well, because of his stint in South Africa, my parents met, so I exist. I suppose that I cannot complain.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Nov '18 20:11
    @ashiitaka said

My father is certainly very emotionally damaged by what he went through. His father (himself very damaged by the war) thought him too soft, so he shipped him off to So ...[text shortened]... because of his stint in South Africa, my parents met, so I exist. I suppose that I cannot complain.
    There's a common belief that a teenager needs some (at least initially) unwelcome
    or painful experiences in order to mature and 'become a man' or 'become a woman'.
    When an man tells a teenage girl, "I'm going to make a woman out of you",
    it may be a prelude to depriving her, perhaps by force, of her virginity,

"Well, because of his stint in South Africa, my parents met, so I exist. I suppose that I cannot complain."
    --Ash

In a general context, does an eventually positive unintended consequence of a
    bad act justify or excuse that bad act?

Conquering soldiers rape and impregnate a teenage girl. Her life is ruined.
    She never recovers from the trauma and commits suicide a few years later.
    Before doing so, she gives birth to a child, who grows up to be a musical genius.
    Would that outcome justify, excuse, or mitigate the original crimes?
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 19:501 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/16/judge-rotenberg-center-massachusetts-electric-shocks

"'It's torture': critics step up bid to stop US school using electric shocks on children'

"The world’s only known school for children and young adults with special needs
    that inflicts electric shocks to control their behavior is facing international pressure
    to have the controversial practice banned.

For almost three decades the Judge Rotenberg Center in Canton, Massachusetts,
    outside Boston, has been zapping many of its special-needs residents with a
    custom-designed electric shock machine known as the GED. Students are required
    to carry the devices in backpacks that deliver charges of up to 41 milliamps – 10
    times the amperage used in most stun guns – to their legs, arms, hands, feet,
    fingers or torsos via electrodes on the skin.

The shocks, administered by staff using remote controls and lasting up to two seconds,
    are intended to cause pain that will discourage the students from indulging in
    harmful or dangerous behavior. The school categorises the punishment as
    “aversive therapy” which it claims can help seriously troubled individuals avoid
    life-threatening injury, having been beyond the reach of other care regimes."
  4. Germany
    Moves
    16 Nov '18 20:05
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/16/judge-rotenberg-center-massachusetts-electric-shocks

"'It's torture': critics step up bid to stop US school using electric shocks on children'

"The world’s only known school for children and young adults with special needs
    that inflicts electric shocks to control their behavior is facing international pressure
    to hav ...[text shortened]... ed individuals avoid
    life-threatening injury, having been beyond the reach of other care regimes."
    [sh76] Shouldn't judge too harshly... maybe they have really good reasons for torturing children. [/sh76]