Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    24 Mar '17 23:12
    Just listen to this Welfare recipient. Then think about paying your "fair share”

SAD but true, she is right, and honest.

When are people going to wake up?

WELFARE ABUSE: 32 years old Austin, TX welfare recipient says working is stupid. - Safeshare.TV

or
    https://safeshare.tv/x/csrqsTAmSx
  2. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    24 Mar '17 23:54
    No Dims in defense of welfare? I don't think this is an isolated case.
  3. 25 Mar '17 00:11
    In economics this is called the free rider problem. There is also the corresponding forced rider problem.

This topic comes up now and then on this forum, often mentioned in an argument against the welfare state. Usually the free rider is an indigent on public support. Funny how rarely is it the fat cat who influences legislation that allows his business to avoid the responsibility for, say, the costs of environmental damage.
  4. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    25 Mar '17 00:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    In economics this is called the free rider problem. There is also the corresponding forced rider problem.

This topic comes up now and then on this forum, often mentioned in an argument against the welfare state. Usually the free rider is an indigent on public support. Funny how rarely is it the fat cat who influences legislation that allows his business to avoid the responsibility for, say, the costs of environmental damage.
    Go start a thread about it then dippy.
  5. 25 Mar '17 00:50
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Go start a thread about it then dippy.
    I'm content to add a little to see if this one gets going. Want to add something, hippy?
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    25 Mar '17 01:12
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Just listen to this Welfare recipient. Then think about paying your "fair share”

WELFARE ABUSE: 32 years old Austin, TX welfare recipient says working is stupid. - Safeshare.TV

or
    Well, in the UK which has an extensive benefits system there are requirements for claiming benefits. With regard to unemployment benefit a significant one, for those capable, is to demonstrate that one is actively seeking employment. I find it difficult to believe that the US does not have similar requirements. I also suspect your source of information, but that is a side issue.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    25 Mar '17 02:07
    Originally posted by JS357
    I'm content to add a little to see if this one gets going. Want to add something, hippy?
    You 'add a little' to a thread about welfare dependency by moaning about the environment?
  8. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    25 Mar '17 02:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, in the UK which has an extensive benefits system there are requirements for claiming benefits. With regard to unemployment benefit a significant one, for those capable, is to demonstrate that one is actively seeking employment. I find it difficult to believe that the US does not have similar requirements. I also suspect your source of information, but that is a side issue.
    I think in the US it used to be the same way. One had to be actively looking for employment, but it all changed.
  9. 25 Mar '17 08:53
    U.S. benefits are extremely meager and should be greatly expanded preferably through replacement by a universal basic income. If people don't want to work I don't see why I would have to bellyache about it. The amount of resources needed to sustain a basic lifestyle is minute and the vast majority of people do want to contribute something to society.
  10. 25 Mar '17 11:23

or
    Do you realize that you are wasting your time?

There is no division on the monolithic left. They all think the same and do the same things.

They are more of a machine and individuals.
  11. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    25 Mar '17 12:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    U.S. benefits are extremely meager and should be greatly expanded preferably through replacement by a universal basic income. If people don't want to work I don't see why I would have to bellyache about it. The amount of resources needed to sustain a basic lifestyle is minute and the vast majority of people do want to contribute something to society.
    You have a strange outlook on life, politics and mental well being.
    Didn't you ever learn people with no responsibility, lazy, bored, become the devils playground? Not to mention the cost to society?
  12. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    25 Mar '17 12:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The vast majority of people do not want to contribute something to society. People are acting in their own best self interest, trying to improve their lot.
  13. 25 Mar '17 12:25
    You have a strange outlook on life, politics and mental well being.
    Didn't you ever learn people with no responsibility, lazy, bored, become the devils playground? Not to mention the cost to society?
    KN thinks all of life's problems can be solved through taxation and redistribution.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    25 Mar '17 12:41
    Here we go, the holier-than-those-guys crowd at work, with their favorite pastime of denigrating those worse off than themselves.
  15. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    25 Mar '17 13:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    KN thinks all of life's problems can be solved through taxation and redistribution.
    From heritage....

From July 2015 to July 2016, more people left Cook County Illinois than left any other county in the country. Reports Michael Lucci: “[T]he people leaving Cook County aren’t showing up in other parts of Illinois when the net movements of people are considered. In fact, most of Illinois is depopulating – 93 of Illinois’ 102 counties are experiencing net out-migration, and 89 of Illinois’ 102 counties have shrinking populations. Illinois’ dysfunctional government, weak job creation and ever-increasing tax burden help explain why. A Paul Simon Public Policy Institute poll released in October 2016 found that taxes were the No. 1 reason people want to leave Illinois.” [Illinois Policy Institute]
    https://www.illinoispolicy.org/cook-county-has-largest-population-loss-of-any-county-in-the-u-s/

To be fair, Cook County, which contains the city of Chicago, is the second biggest county in the country. But if taxes are the biggest reason people are leaving now, what will happen when the city’s latest round of tax increases—amounting to nearly $1,700 per year per family—take effect over the next few years?