Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Feb '10 20:05
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8531052.stm

Latin American and Caribbean leaders at a summit in Mexico have backed Argentina in its new row with the UK over the Falkland Islands.

"

Leaders of all 32 countries backed Argentine claims to the islands and condemned oil drilling operations that are already under way.

The row erupted after a UK firm began drilling for oil off the Falkland Islands and Argentina objected.

Buenos Aires has ruled out military action and is pursuing talks at the UN. "

Personally I support argentina on this.

any thoughts?
  2. 23 Feb '10 20:20
    argentina's forgotten recent history and is looking for another smackdown.
  3. 23 Feb '10 20:22 / 1 edit
    argentina is just the closest country to the falklands.

why not give portugal back to spain while we're at it?
  4. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    23 Feb '10 20:26
    I have very little background on this, so you'll have to fill me in. But the area disputed seems to fell well within the maritime waters of the Falkland islands. It's nowhere near the coastline of Argentina. Why did you support Argentina's claim?
    I mean, I'm naive on this, but last I knew, the U.K. won the Falklands war. And until they lose a war, it's the U.K.'s territory. Right?
  5. 23 Feb '10 20:30
    won't stop them whinging about it! ad infinitum, ad nauseum!

generalissimo, maybe you can tell us, is this just an election-year ploy? argentinian political class hard-up for fiery topics this cycle?
  6. 23 Feb '10 20:30
    Tough luck for Argentina, it's UK territory. But maybe the UK can appease them by giving them part of the oil revenues if drilling is successful.
  7. 23 Feb '10 20:32
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_invasion_of_the_Falkland_Islands#Reaction_in_the_United_Nations

Reaction in the United Nations

On 3 April 1982 the United Nations Security Council comprising the 5 permanent members and the 10 elected members (Poland, Spain, Ireland, Panama, Guyana, Japan, Jordan, Uganda, Zaire, and Togo) passed the Resolution 502 demanding an immediate withdrawal of all Argentine forces from the islands and called on the governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom to seek a diplomatic solution to the situation and refrain from further military action. Panama voted against this resolution, with China, Poland, Spain and the USSR abstaining. All 10 remaining members voted for the resolution. [27]
  8. 23 Feb '10 21:10
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8531052.stm

[b]Latin American and Caribbean leaders at a summit in Mexico have backed Argentina in its new row with the UK over the Falkland Islands.

"

Leaders of all 32 countries backed Argentine claims to the islands and condemned oil drilling operations that are already under way.

The row er ...[text shortened]... ursuing talks at the UN. "

Personally I support argentina on this.

any thoughts?[/b]
    Putting politics aside ,having the secound biggest oil field in the world [if proven] in the hands of the UK would be far more benificial to the world than if Argentina had it !
    Then the UK, the USA and all there respective allies wouldn't be held ransom by the basket case middle east !! .
  9. 23 Feb '10 21:15
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Tough luck for Argentina, it's UK territory. But maybe the UK can appease them by giving them part of the oil revenues if drilling is successful.
    nice try

they'll be lucky not to be charged a Falklands War Recovery Fee!
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Feb '10 21:26
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_invasion_of_the_Falkland_Islands#Reaction_in_the_United_Nations

Reaction in the United Nations

On 3 April 1982 the United Nations Security Council comprising the 5 permanent members and the 10 elected members (Poland, Spain, Ireland, Panama, Guyana, Japan, Jordan, Uganda, Zaire, and Togo) passed the Resolution 502 de ...[text shortened]... , Poland, Spain and the USSR abstaining. All 10 remaining members voted for the resolution. [27]
    That resolution doesn't address the point being raised i.e. who has a legitimate claim to the islands (it called for a "diplomatic solution" as to that issue).
  11. 23 Feb '10 22:08
    thank you for noting that. i'm kind of doubting a diplomatic solution will change the status quo, unless the UK elects Jimmy Carter as Prime Minister.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    24 Feb '10 03:53
    In the 70s the U.K. was trying to find a way to give them back to Argentina.
  13. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    24 Feb '10 06:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    In the 70s the U.K. was trying to find a way to give them back to Argentina.
    The history of land claims on remote islands tends to be arbitrary, so the fairest way to solve it is hold a referendum of the present inhabitants and see what they would like to be: British, Argentinian, or independent.
  14. 24 Feb '10 10:34
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The history of land claims on remote islands tends to be arbitrary, so the fairest way to solve it is hold a referendum of the present inhabitants and see what they would like to be: British, Argentinian, or independent.
    That has already been done with overwhelming support for British identity.
  15. 24 Feb '10 10:43
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    The sheep will win.