Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 11:274 edits
    That's what is popularly (though incorrectly called "Obamacare" ):

Support for President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement — the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare — is at record highs less than three weeks before the midterm elections.
    A majority of Americans (53% ) and of likely voters (54% ) approve of the healthcare law.
    That is also significantly more than the 45% who approve of the Republican tax cuts passed last year.

https://www.businessinsider.com/poll-obamacare-support-oppose-elections-results-2018-10

Those number are from a FoxNews poll.(to be fair the Fox News/Anderson Robbins Research/Shaw & Co. Research polls are well-regarded and rated "A" by 538 based on their predictive value in past elections). https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Nonetheless:

on Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell insisted that Republican lawmakers would resume their efforts to repeal and replace Obamacare following November's midterm elections, calling the party's failure to do so last year "the one disappointment of this Congress from a Republican point of view."

(same article)

It's no wonder why right wingers are so dismissive of "democracy" and so supportive of measures that limit it (like gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc. etc.).
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:08
    @no1marauder

If it's so great, why does the GOP hate it as do the Dims who insist on a single payer system to replace it?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:26
    @whodey said
    @no1marauder

If it's so great, why does the GOP hate it as do the Dims who insist on a single payer system to replace it?
    And the first test of No1's new posting policy approaches. 😉
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:341 edit
    @sh76

I'll save him the trouble.

How can we have these right wing, knuckle dragging, lunatics continue to post on this site?

They are all a bunch of token negroes

I say they should be reported.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:36
    @no1marauder said
    That's what is popularly (though incorrectly called "Obamacare" ):

Support for President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement — the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare — is at record highs less than three weeks before the midterm elections.
    A majority of Americans (53% ) and of likely voters (54% ) approve of the healthcare law.
    That is also signifi ...[text shortened]... cy" and so supportive of measures that limit it (like gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc. etc.).
    when viewed in the context of a jumpstart of 47% this poll shows very weak support.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:501 edit
    @whodey said
    @no1marauder

54% approval doesn't seem a high degree of "hate" for something.

Of course, it doesn't mean that those who approve of it think that it cannot be improved. The question asked was "whether you have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion" of the ACA not whether you considered it as an endpoint for government health care policy. Question 17 at https://www.scribd.com/document/391072310/[WORD TOO LONG]
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:51
    @mott-the-hoople said
    when viewed in the context of a jumpstart of 47% this poll shows very weak support.
    It shows majority support which isn't generally considered "weak".
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:55
    @no1marauder said
    54% approval doesn't seem a high degree of "hate" for something.

Of course, it doesn't mean that those who approve of it think that it cannot be improved.
    Do you think Trump ending the mandate has helped the popularity?
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:58
    @whodey said
    Do you think Trump ending the mandate has helped the popularity?
    Question 8 of the poll:

2.-9. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling health care:

37% approve
    55% disapprove
    8% don't know

So that seems like a "no".
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:00
    @no1marauder said
    It shows majority support which isn't generally considered "weak".
    When you start with an automatic 47% it is very weak...but you overlooked that didn't you?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:032 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Question 8 of the poll:

2.-9. Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling health care:

37% approve
    55% disapprove
    8% don't know

So that seems like a "no".
    How exactly is he handling health care? Last I checked the GOP refused to repeal it and replace it.

Are you suggesting that this poll reflects the end of the mandate?

If so, why?

If I recall, you were also opposed to the mandate and agreed with "The Donald"
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:08
    @mott-the-hoople said
    When you start with an automatic 47% it is very weak...but you overlooked that didn't you?
    Just because Mitt Romney said something doesn't make it so.
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:121 edit
    @whodey said
    How exactly is he handling health care? Last I checked the GOP refused to repeal it and replace it.

Are you suggesting that this poll reflects the end of the mandate?

If so, why?

If I recall, you were also opposed to the mandate and agreed with "The Donald"
    He promised to replace it with something that would be even better and would still cover everybody.

His administration is currently supporting a lawsuit that would do away with protections for pre-existing conditions:

Republican attorneys general want the courts to strike down the entire ACA, while the Trump administration says only its protections for pre-existing conditions should fall.

https://www.axios.com/aca-lawsuit-preexisting-conditions-employer-insurance-3e50e7f6-b82d-4d67-8b63-43963c497026.html

I think the poll reflects that the People reject Trump's actions, as opposed to his promises, on health care. What do you think it reflects?

I opposed the individual mandate long before the Donald said anything about it AFAIK.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:24
    @no1marauder said
    He promised to replace it with something that would be even better and would still cover everybody.

His administration is currently supporting a lawsuit that would do away with protections for pre-existing conditions:

Republican attorneys general want the courts to strike down the entire ACA, while the Trump administration says only its protections for pre-existing ...[text shortened]... t reflects?

I opposed the individual mandate long before the Donald said anything about it AFAIK.
    Americans love two things, free stuff and lower taxes. That is what the two party system has brought us.

As a result, I have no doubt that the GOP will be stopped from changing anything regarding the mandatory health care, or if they do, they will usher in the Dims to give us a single payer system.

I suppose you also favor the single payer system over Obamacare, correct?

But from what I hear, the fiscal reality is that we can't even afford Obamacare for the long term, let alone the single payer system which will cause an even greater burden fiscally.

But I'm sure you will say, all we need is to do away with the military and tax the rich to afford it all, right?
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 14:36
    @no1marauder said
    Just because Mitt Romney said something doesn't make it so.
    What is the percentage of people on public assistance then?