Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    14 Mar '13 18:19
    I found an interesting petition. Read it over, sign it, and spread the word if it tickles your fancy.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/suspend-foreign-aid-until-our-own-issues-are-dealt-namely-sequestration-budget-and-rising-national/dlbcqFtY
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Mar '13 19:29
    SIGNATURES NEEDED BY APRIL 13, 2013 TO REACH GOAL OF 100,000: 99,999

TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION: 1

Heh!

Now, I may not have a complete grasp on the complex political machinations involved, but I do have a grasp on one simple idea: WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING AWAY OUR MONEY WHEN IT IS NEEDED HERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

In other words:

a) I don't know what I'm talking about

b) I don't really understand what "machinations" means.

But, by all means, listen to my sound-bite sized demand anyway.
  3. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    14 Mar '13 19:54
    Originally posted by sh76

Heh!

Now, I may not have a complete grasp on the complex political machinations involved, but I do have a grasp on one simple idea: WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING AWAY OUR MONEY WHEN IT IS NEEDED HERE IN THE UNITED STATES.
    ...[text shortened]... at "machinations" means.

The petition needs 150 signatures before it goes live on the site. Thus, I'm the only one who has signed it because I'm the only one who can see it, unless I spread it through social networking and forums.

So yes, snicker away as the money you pay in taxes is thrown at other governments for causes that you probably don't care about. Though, you probably don't care where your money goes anyways.

Now, why I should even bother to defend myself against a simpleton such as yourself is beyond me. But I'll bite.

a) The sentence that you extracted from my petition does not imply that I don't know what I'm talking about. Let me ask you this: do YOU, or anyone else for that matter, understand the minds of politicians, and the complex scheming that goes on behind closed doors? No, I didn't think so.

b) Familiarize yourself with the word "machinations". My usage of it was correct.

And by all means, a sound-bite sized demand is all anyone is allowed to make: 800 characters or less.
  4. 14 Mar '13 20:05
    WE SHOULD NOT BE GIVING AWAY OUR MONEY WHEN IT IS NEEDED HERE IN THE UNITED STATES

Not buying foreign products might have a bigger effect on that than getting rid of development aid (which is around 0.25% of GDP IIRC).
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Mar '13 20:18 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    The petition needs 150 signatures before it goes live on the site. Thus, I'm the only one who has signed it because I'm the only one who can see it, unless I spread it through social networking and forums.

So yes, snicker away as the money you pay in taxes is thrown at other governments for causes that you probably don't care about. Though, you probably s, a sound-bite sized demand is all anyone is allowed to make: 800 characters or less.
    One sec. Did you write that petition?

If so, why did your OP say you "found an interesting petition"?

Edit: Did you mean you "found" the petition as in you "founded" it as though it were an organization?
  6. Standard member Wildfire
    Force of Nature
    14 Mar '13 20:40
    One sec. Did you write that petition?

If so, why did your OP say you "found an interesting petition"?

Edit: Did you mean you "found" the petition as in you "founded" it as though it were an organization?
    Yes, I wrote it. I originally wasn't going to take ownership of it and remain anonymous, but then figured it doesn't really matter. By then it was too late to edit the original post.
  7. 14 Mar '13 23:38

Heh!

...[text shortened]... at "machinations" means.

Ok, so the petition isn't going anywhere, but the question is simple and legitimate, and doesn't deserve the dismissive attitude you displayed.

Why should the taxpayers be supporting dictators abroad, when we can't pay our own bills?
  8. 15 Mar '13 00:46
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ok, so the petition isn't going anywhere, but the question is simple and legitimate, and doesn't deserve the dismissive attitude you displayed.

Why should the taxpayers be supporting dictators abroad, when we can't pay our own bills?
    That's not what the petition says. Cutting off foreign aid until our own issues are dealt with, "namely sequestration, the budget, and the rising national debt", is the topic. What it would mean to complete the process of "dealing with" sequestration, the budget, and the rising national debt, is unspecified.

If you want to discuss whether the US does and should be "supporting dictators abroad" versus "paying our own bills" then fine, discuss it. Who are these dictators, how are taxpayers supporting them, and what bills are we not paying -- and why would paying these bills make supporting dictators OK?
  9. 15 Mar '13 01:00
    Originally posted by Wildfire
    I found an interesting petition. Read it over, sign it, and spread the word if it tickles your fancy.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/suspend-foreign-aid-until-our-own-issues-are-dealt-namely-sequestration-budget-and-rising-national/dlbcqFtY
    Why not just go to the White House web site to petition?

Obama gets a kick out of watching the peasants beg.

You obviously have no incling as to how the government functions. They give money to the poor, the middle class, the rich, and those over seas. In fact, they give money to everyone on the planet. That way they have sway when interacting with them. In the back of their minds they have the nagging question, how do I not offend them and keep the money flowing?

What does Washington care? All the money is ficticious monopoly money anyway.
  10. 15 Mar '13 01:02
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's not what the petition says. Cutting off foreign aid until our own issues are dealt with, "namely sequestration, the budget, and the rising national debt", is the topic. What it would mean to complete the process of "dealing with" sequestration, the budget, and the rising national debt, is unspecified.

If you want to discuss whether the US does and s ...[text shortened]... lls are we not paying -- and why would paying these bills make supporting dictators OK?
    Didn't you hear? Obama says there is no debt crisis, so case closed.......unless you want to go head to head with Obama's press secretary USAparatrooperman.
  11. 15 Mar '13 01:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    Didn't you hear? Obama says there is no debt crisis, so case closed.......unless you want to go head to head with Obama's press secretary USAparatrooperman.
    I am interested in what norm is going after with his comment on dictators and debt. Do you want to answer the question I asked him?
  12. 15 Mar '13 01:06 / 1 edit

If you want to discuss whether the US does and s lls are we not paying -- and why would paying these bills make supporting dictators OK?
    Perhaps I should have added pay our bills without continued borrowing and degradation of the currency by printing press.

The most recent dictators are pretty obvious.
  13. 15 Mar '13 01:16
    I am interested in what norm is going after with his comment on dictators and debt. Do you want to answer the question I asked him?
    The petition or any other objections are mute. The fact of the matter is that Washington is out of control. They grow government by leaps and bounds year after year and go further and further into debt. There is no hope in reversing the beast because it controls everything. They meddle in the lives of its citizens to the point of absurdity, so how are they going to magically restrain themselves from doing the same abroad?
  14. 15 Mar '13 04:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Perhaps I should have added pay our bills without continued borrowing and degradation of the currency by printing press.

The most recent dictators are pretty obvious.
    Why don't you want to name these dictators who we are funding?

And do you object to the government borrowing, on principle? I own some municipal bonds.

It is an interesting but separate thread, possibly. Should governments be permitted to issue debt obligations? Basically, borrow?
  15. 15 Mar '13 04:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    The petition or any other objections are mute. The fact of the matter is that Washington is out of control. They grow government by leaps and bounds year after year and go further and further into debt. There is no hope in reversing the beast because it controls everything. They meddle in the lives of its citizens to the point of absurdity, so how are they going to magically restrain themselves from doing the same abroad?
    So all you want to do is gripe, fine by me, I will leave you to it.