Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Sep '17 18:18
    It is predictable that when one imports people from the third world test scores will drop.

Kids who are from those regions do not embrace education as a whole. I know there are exceptions to this rule, but the classroom environment is not dominated by the exceptions.

It is predictable that having these kids in the classroom will lower education of all involved. This means a drop in education for Sweden's poor. It is predictable and has been the result.

How long until Sweden regains it former levels after importing low test scores?
  2. 30 Sep '17 18:26
    Ever heard of a place called Singapore?
  3. 30 Sep '17 18:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Ever heard of a place called Singapore?
    Singapore? Are they importing a new third world population?

Or are you saying Sweden needs to introduce caning for disruptive male students?

https://www.corpun.com/counsgs.htm
  4. 30 Sep '17 18:59
    Originally posted by @eladar

Or are you saying Sweden needs to introduce caning for disruptive male students?

I haven't kept track of what racists think. Isn't Asia (bar Japan) "third world" anymore?

I'm fairly certain the "secret" behind Singapore's success in education is building well-funded schools and hiring well-qualified, well-paid teachers, combined with a culture that values education, and not Singapore's corporal punishment laws.
  5. 30 Sep '17 19:05
    I haven't kept track of what racists think. Isn't Asia (bar Japan) "third world" anymore?

I'm fairly certain the "secret" behind Singapore's success in education is building well-funded schools and hiring well-qualified, well-paid teachers, combined with a culture that values education, and not Singapore's corporal punishment laws.
    How are you to know what is important and what is not?

You point to them and that is part of their system. You must support it if you claim they have the model system.

I believe a major reason for their success is that their system of teaching math is rooted in presenting math in a tactile manner which is geared towards sensory students. Since 70 percent of the population is sensory they are teaching towards the masses.

They also demand results and demand students try, or at least do not tolerate disruptions.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Sep '17 19:05

And introducing emigre's who speak Syrian, say, and then having to spend time learning Swedish, naturally the first few years there will be lower scores but Sweden has a great education system and the scores will pick up as the new students learn. Those students are not stupid, just don't speak Swedish at first and they can't be blamed for that. It is hard to learn if you don't speak the native tongue.

I saw that myself, our twins went to Ulpan for a while when we lived in Israel and of course the twins only spoke English but the teachers only spoke Hebrew to the kids so they learned nothing till we got them into the Anglican International School in Jerusalem where we lived.
  7. 30 Sep '17 19:10
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    And introducing emigre's who speak Syrian, say, and then having to spend time learning Swedish, naturally the first few years there will be lower scores but Sweden has a great education system and the scores will pick up as the new students learn. Those students are not stupid, just don't speak Swedish at first and they can't be blamed for that. It is hard ...[text shortened]... ned nothing till we got them into the Anglican International School in Jerusalem where we lived.
    Sweden's drop was more than simply the new student's test scores could explain. There is also a larger growth in gap between high end scores to low end scores than can be explained.
  8. 30 Sep '17 19:15
    How are you to know what is important and what is not?

You point to them and that is part of their system. You must support it if you claim they have the model system.

I believe a major reason for their success is that their system of teaching math is rooted in presenting math in a tactile manner which is geared towards sensory students. Since 70 perce ...[text shortened]... s.

They also demand results and demand students try, or at least do not tolerate disruptions.
    In Europe, well-performing education systems are found in Finland and Estonia.

What do Finland and Estonia have in common with Singapore?

Hint: it's not corporal punishment.
  9. 30 Sep '17 19:23
    In Europe, well-performing education systems are found in Finland and Estonia.

Hint: it's not corporal punishment.
    What works for one society may not work for others.

Finland is monocultural and that culture values education.
  10. 30 Sep '17 19:25
    What works for one society may not work for others.

Finland is monocultural and that culture values education.
    Is Singapore "monocultural"?

Hint: it's not.
  11. 30 Sep '17 19:29 / 1 edit
    Is Singapore "monocultural"?

Hint: it's not.
    Of course it is not. As I noted what works for one society does not work for others. Why do you assume that Singapore knows less about its people than you?
  12. 30 Sep '17 19:38
    Of course it is not. As I noted what works for one society does not work for others. Why do you assume that Singapore knows less about its people than you?
    Okay, so we've eliminated "monocultural" as a relevant factor.

13. 30 Sep '17 19:47 / 1 edit
    Okay, so we've eliminated "monocultural" as a relevant factor.

You have in your own mind.

But at the very least we can agree that caning boys does not have a detrimental effect on education.
  14. 30 Sep '17 19:57 / 1 edit

Singapore does *not* have to import 'a new Third World population' because its
    population *already* is almost completely 'Third World' by racist white American standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Singapore

"Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural country with ethnic Chinese (76.2% of the citizen population),
    indigenous Malays (15.0% ), and ethnic Indians (7.4% ) making up the majority of the population."

That's a total of 98.6% of the citizen population. Most of the other 1.4% seem to have at least some Asian ancestry.
    Singapore has an extremely tiny citizen minority of supposedly 'racially superior' white people.

Even with its small population of 5.75 million, Singapore routinely surpasses almost all
    much more populous Western countries (with overwhelming majorities of white people)
    in International Olympiads in mathematics or science.
  15. 30 Sep '17 20:00
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Singapore does *not* have to import 'a new Third World population' because its
    population *already* is almost completely 'Third World' by racist white American standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Singapore

"Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural country with ethnic Chinese (76.2% of the citizen population),
    indigenous ...[text shortened]... overwhelming majorities of white people)
    in International Olympiads in mathematics or science.
    Caining disruptive boys is part of Singapore's success in education.

Their approach to teaching math is superior in my opinion. They make everything real then work from there.