Debates Forum

Syria

Standard memberkquinn909
Debates 08 Sep '18 18:58
  1. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 18:58
    Major offensive coming to the last terrorist holdout. Obama and McLames boys. Let's not forget the CIA. Watch the video. He says bombing hospitals is a war crime. My dad who flew 300+ sorties in Nam told me he bombed hospitals all the time. Said he was told the commies were hiding in there. So. Then the US is guily of war crimes too?
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:191 edit
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Major offensive coming to the last terrorist holdout. Obama and McLames boys. Let's not forget the CIA. Watch the video. He says bombing hospitals is a war crime. My dad who flew 300+ sorties in Nam told me he bombed hospitals all the time. Said he was told the commies were hiding in there. So. Then the US is guily of war crimes too?
    I don't want to think about it. Syria, like most of the middle east seems like an unsolvable problem. Not only are there dozens of groups of competing small power hungry idiots, each slipping bombs into pockets of the others, there are bigger power hungry idiots like the USA, Russia, and China each trying to exploit the situation to their benefit. Is the US guilty of war crimes? I have no idea, since I don't believe 50% of what I hear on TV anyway. Are you looking for a way to stabilize the Syrian government and bring peace to the region? You might try looking on the far side of the Andromeda galaxy, because the solution does not appear to exist on planet earth. 😵
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:35
    Originally posted by @mchill to Kquinn909
    I don't want to think about it. Syria, like most of the middle east seems like an unsolvable problem. Not only are there dozens of groups of competing small power hungry idiots, each slipping bombs into pockets of the others, there are bigger power hungry idiots like the USA, Russia, and China each trying to exploit the situation to their benefi ...[text shortened]... e of the Andromeda galaxy, because the solution does not appear to exist on planet earth. 😵
    "There are bigger power hungry idiots like the USA, Russia, and China each trying to
    exploit the situation [in Syria] to their benefit."
    --Mchill

Both the USA and Russia have sent armed forces to fight in Syria.
    Can Mchill cite any evidence of China doing the same?
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:52
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "There are bigger power hungry idiots like the USA, Russia, and China each trying to
    --Mchill

Yes I can Duchess, but I'm not going to. The proof is out there, if you're willing to bother looking for it. I'm not going to "spoon feed" the information to you.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 20:363 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

Yes I can Duchess, but I'm not going to. The proof is out there, if you're willing to bother
    looking for it. I'm not going to "spoon feed" the information to you.
    The arrogant troll Mchill likes to hurl insults rather than cite facts to support his ignorant claims.
    As far as I know, China has NOT YET militarily intervened to fight in Syria, ONLY talked
    about it so far. though there might be unconfirmed rumors (internet claims) to the contrary.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/china-we-might-help-assad-with-the-war-in-syria

"China: We Might Help Assad With the War in Syria
    Direct military assistance from China would mark a dramatic shift in Middle East geopolitics."

Note the 'Might'.

"Rumors have long rumbled that China has sent military advisers or army special forces
    to Syria, though those rumors haven’t been substantiated and China has denied them. "

Note the 'rumors'.

"But if China follows through on the ambassador’s statement, it would mark a radical departure
    from its previous policy of non-intervention and would mark a major shift in regional geopolitics."

"There are three potential reasons: Xi Jinping’s project of military modernization; growing
    concerns about Chinese jihadists in Syria who might return to China as the war is winding down;
    and a desire to get in on the lucrative reconstruction contracts that so far have largely
    been swept up by Russian and Iranian firms."

"That’s where counterterrorism comes in. A low-level insurgency has simmered in northwestern China
    for years, where Turkic-speaking ethnic minority Uighurs have chafed under Beijing’s control
    over their homeland. In recent years, Islamic radicalism has appealed to a small number of Uighurs,
    who founded the Turkistan Islamic Party, an Islamist party that aims to fight for independence."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2009_%C3%9Cr%C3%BCmqi_riots

In 2009, Uyghur nationalists (or Islamic jihadists) staged a violent uprising, aimed mainly
    at Han Chinese civilians in Ürümqi. According to official Chinese statistics, about 200
    persons (mostly Han Chinese) were killed before the uprising was crushed.

"China views TIP as an existential threat — and several thousand TIP fighters have flowed into
    Idlib in recent years from Turkey and other regions where the movement had flourished
    in small pockets of the Uighur diaspora."

"But before Beijing makes a decision, Chinese involvement will need pre-approval of the
    Russians. Moscow views itself as the primary foreign power on the ground in Syria."

China's proposed intervention seems much more limited in scope and aim than Russia's.

Here's an Israeli source claiming that China already has sent a few special forces to Syria:
    http://jcpa.org/chinese-troops-arrive-syria-fight-uyghur-rebels/

"Chinese Troops Arrive in Syria to Fight Uyghur Rebels"

"According to these press reports, Beijing planned to send two units from the Special
    Operations Forces – the “Tigers of Siberia” and the “Night Tigers” – to assist Assad’s
    regime against Chinese Uyghurs fighting with radical Muslim organizations in Syria."

"According to the Syrian ambassador to China, some 5,000 ethnic Uyghurs from China’s
    Xinjiang province are presently in Syria. President Assad stressed the “crucial cooperation”
    between Syria and Chinese intelligence against Uyghur militants last year."

"It is obvious that the Chinese government has not succeeded in containing the Uyghur
    separatist threat in the Xinjiang province. ... The attacks perpetrated by the Uyghurs
    follow almost the same patterns as those conducted by Islamic radicals (ISIS and others)
    in other places worldwide such as car-ramming, suicide bombers, and knife-wielding attackers.
    But, unlike other places on the globe, the attacks are not publicized by the Chinese government,"

"The defeat of ISIS in Iraq and the recent successes of Assad’s troops in Syria against the rebels
    seem to have created a crisis to which Beijing is trying to find solution before hundreds of
    Uyghurs fighters return home after fighting in the ranks of the rebels, fully trained for guerrilla warfare."

Note that, while this Israeli source claims that some Chinese have been in Syria to train
    Syrian forces, it has not claimed that any Chinese have done any fighting so far in Syria.

My point is that China's 'military intervention' in Syria has so far been much more restrained
    than the USA's or Russia's (both of which have routinely bombed targets in Syria).
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:09
    --Mchill

http://www.alamongordo.com/china-military-arrive-in-syria-to-help-russia/
  7. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:13
    My point is that China's 'military intervention' in Syria has so far been much more restrained than the USA's or Russia's (both of which have routinely bombed targets in Syria).
    That may be your CURRENT point... now that you've moved the goalposts.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:151 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    That may be your CURRENT point... now that you've moved the goalposts.
    Tom Wolsey misunderstands, distorts, or lies about what I wrote originally.

"Both the USA and Russia have sent armed forces TO FIGHT in Syria.
    Can Mchill cite any evidence of China doing the same?"
    --Duchess64 (to Mchill)

No one so far has cited any confirmed evidence of Chinese soldiers fighting in Syria.
    My point was to criticize Mchill's misleading analogy between China and Russia or the USA.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:18
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    "China WILL [future tense] be helping out the Syrian government in the fight against Islamic
    State (IS, formerly ISIL/ISIS) by sending “military advisers,” media reports have CLAIMED."

"Military advisers' are not necessarily combat troops.
  10. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 02:02
    "China WILL [future tense] be helping out the Syrian government in the fight against Islamic
    State (IS, formerly ISIL/ISIS) by sending “military advisers,” media reports have CLAIMED."

"Military advisers' are not necessarily combat troops.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha !
    Fumbling, bumbling...stumbling.
    This is what being "full-of-shyt" looks like.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 05:071 edit
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    I did some digging on the internet about this as I felt a little skeptical about the reliability of the source. RT seems to be about the only major outlet to have reported this. There is, however an answer on quora.com which looked plausible. The responder basically said that China is not involving itself in combat operations and their motive is essentially to lend symbolic support to the likely victors in the hope of picking up reconstruction contracts. So it looks unlikely that the Chinese will be doing any bombing.

https://www.quora.com/[WORD TOO LONG]

Edit: and quora clearly have stupid URLs. I typed something like "Chinese Aircraft Carrier Syria" into Google and it was the second or third result.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    I did some digging on the internet about this as I felt a little skeptical about the reliability of the source. RT seems to be about the only major outlet to have reported this. There is, however an answer on quora.com which looked plausible. The responder basically said that China is not involving itself in combat operations and their motive is esse ...[text shortened]... mething like "Chinese Aircraft Carrier Syria" into Google and it was the second or third result.
    Some Westerners here seem eager to believe every apparently Sinophobic rumor, however unfounded.

"Both the USA and Russia have sent armed forces TO FIGHT in Syria.
    Can Mchill cite any evidence of China doing the same?"
    --Duchess64 (to Mchill)

No one has cited any confirmed evidence so far of Chinese soldiers fighting in Syria.
    My point was to criticize Mchill's misleading analogy between China and Russia or the USA.

If China has sold arms to Syria, there may be a few Chinese there to train Syrians in how to use them.
    That's standard operating procedure (rather than just hand over training manuals in Chinese).
    I don't know of any confirmed reports of Chinese combat troops in Syria, let alone of them participating in combat.

IF China does send any troops (a few special forces) to fight in Syria, then it will be a symbolic gesture.
    With decisive support by Russia and Iran, Assad already has won the civil war in Syria.

China's chief security interest is in preventing Uyghur 'terrorists' from returning from Syria to China.
    The Chinese would prefer to fight and destroy these Uyghurs in Syria rather than in Xinjiang.