Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 17 Jul '16 19:47 / 3 edits
    Given the continuous demonization of Muslims in this forum, who would
    have imagined that an Arab Muslim refugee could be capable of this?

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/minden-german-town-hails-syrian-refugee-hero-for-turning-in-euros

    "German Town Hails Syrian Refugee 'Hero' for Turning in 150,000 (Euros)"

    A Syrian refugee discovered about 150,000 Euros hidden in a cupboard that
    he had been given by a German charity. He turned in the money to the authorities.
    According to another source (not in the article), he explained that his
    Islamic faith would not allow to keep money that did not belong to him.
    It was an extraordinary act, particularly given his need of money.

    At this time, he's apparently unemployed while learning German. I don't
    know what his qualifications were in Syria, but I believe that his conduct
    has shown that he could be trusted to work in a bank, for instance, and
    I hope that he's offered a suitable job soon. I would be glad to welcome
    him as a neighbour.

    I don't expect that what he did, however, could prevent some fanatical
    Islamophobes from believing that he should be expelled from Europe or even killed.

    P.S. The people who 'thumbed down' this post apparently object to the publishing of *any facts*
    that show *any Muslim* in a favourable light or as any different from their evil stereotypes of Muslims.
    I already know that many writers here hate all Muslims, and their hatred will not die until they do.
  2. 17 Jul '16 20:45
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Given the continuous demonization of Muslims in this forum, who would
    have imagined that an Arab Muslim refugee could be capable of this?

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/minden-german-town-hails-syrian-refugee-hero-for-turning-in-euros

    "German Town Hails Syrian Refugee 'Hero' for Turning in 150,000 (Euros)"

    A Syrian refugee discovere ...[text shortened]... ready know that many writers here hate all Muslims, and their hatred will not die until they do.
    What an idiot !
  3. 17 Jul '16 20:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    What an idiot !
    He was foolish if he hoped that his act could stop all the hate against him for being a Muslim.
    That hate might never end until all the haters are dead or all Muslims are dead.
    And as more Muslims grasp that apparent tragic reality, more of them will act accordingly.
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    17 Jul '16 22:11
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Given the continuous demonization of Muslims in this forum, who would
    have imagined that an Arab Muslim refugee could be capable of this?

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/minden-german-town-hails-syrian-refugee-hero-for-turning-in-euros

    "German Town Hails Syrian Refugee 'Hero' for Turning in 150,000 (Euros)"

    A Syrian refugee discovere ...[text shortened]... ready know that many writers here hate all Muslims, and their hatred will not die until they do.
    but I believe that his conduct has shown that he could be trusted to work in a bank, ...

    With those attitudes no bank would employ him. Honesty? Giving money back to someone who owns it? Refusing to accept excessive rewards based on pure luck and the misfortune of others? He might be okay on a front counter handling cash perhaps, but his promotion prospects would be zero.
  5. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    19 Jul '16 03:32
    Originally posted by phil3000
    What an idiot !
    I'd sooner invite him into my house than you. I have good evidence that he is honest, your response implies to me that you regard theft as perfectly ethical given the opportunity.
  6. 19 Jul '16 20:33
    Originally posted by finnegan
    but I believe that his conduct has shown that he could be trusted to work in a bank, ...

    With those attitudes no bank would employ him. Honesty? Giving money back to someone who owns it? Refusing to accept excessive rewards based on pure luck and the misfortune of others? He might be okay on a front counter handling cash perhaps, but his promotion prospects would be zero.
    This Syrian refugee first would have to be perceived as honest enough to get hired.
    Then he could be trained in the dishonesty required by the bank's corporate culture.
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    19 Jul '16 21:28
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    This Syrian refugee first would have to be perceived as honest enough to get hired.
    Then he could be trained in the dishonesty required by the bank's corporate culture.
    One can see how in the 19th Century Western banks unpicked the Ottoman Empire with corrupt loans all the same.
  8. 20 Jul '16 16:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'd sooner invite him into my house than you. I have good evidence that he is honest, your response implies to me that you regard theft as perfectly ethical given the opportunity.
    150,000 euros ....
    You wouldn't be tempted ?
    For your information ,the last time I "nicked" anything was about 45yrs ago when I didn't no any better .( that was sweets from a shop ).
    I can see why you go under the name of " Deep Thought "...
  9. 20 Jul '16 17:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000 to DeepThought
    150,000 euros ....
    You wouldn't be tempted ?
    For your information ,the last time I "nicked" anything was about 45yrs ago when I didn't no any better .( that was sweets from a shop ).
    I can see why you go under the name of " Deep Thought "...
    Phil3000 keeps being disingenuous. He earlier wrote nothing about this Syrian refugee being 'tempted'.
    Phil3000 personally attacked this Syrian refugee as an 'idiot' for turning in the money to the authorities.

    I wonder if even the anti-Muslim bigots here would prefer to trust Phil3000 rather than
    this Syrian refugee to hold a large amount of their money. I doubt that even Phil3000's
    best lies could persuade any except the most gullible of them to trust him more.
  10. 20 Jul '16 18:00
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Phil3000 keeps being disingenuous. He earlier wrote nothing about this Syrian refugee being 'tempted'.
    Phil3000 personally attacked this Syrian refugee as an 'idiot' for turning in the money to the authorities.

    I wonder if even the anti-Muslim bigots here would prefer to trust Phil3000 rather than
    this Syrian refugee to hold a large amount of their money.
    I didn't "attack "him ,it was said in jest you fruit and nut case .
  11. 20 Jul '16 18:01 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I didn't "attack "him ,it was said in jest you fruit and nut case .
    Phil3000's an idiot! Does he believe that I am joking?

    Some other writers (including Finnegan and KazetNagorra) also have noticed that Phil3000
    apparently hates all Muslims, including one who's honest enough to turn in 150000 Euros to the authorities.

    I wonder if this Syrian refugee had found a large amount of Phil3000's money and turned
    it in, would Phil3000 still hate him? Or even concede that he had a right to live in Europe?
  12. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Jul '16 02:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Given the continuous demonization of Muslims in this forum, who would
    have imagined that an Arab Muslim refugee could be capable of this?

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/minden-german-town-hails-syrian-refugee-hero-for-turning-in-euros

    "German Town Hails Syrian Refugee 'Hero' for Turning in 150,000 (Euros)"

    A Syrian refugee discovere ...[text shortened]... ready know that many writers here hate all Muslims, and their hatred will not die until they do.
    Who, other than a racist, would care about the race of this person?

    What is duchesses fascination with this persons race?

    Does she consider this persons actions special as a result of their race?

    Would she like to hint that if their race were different they would have acted differently?
  13. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    21 Jul '16 08:13
    Originally posted by phil3000
    150,000 euros ....
    You wouldn't be tempted ?
    For your information ,the last time I "nicked" anything was about 45yrs ago when I didn't no any better .( that was sweets from a shop ).
    I can see why you go under the name of " Deep Thought "...
    To be honest no, which might seem surprising but there are a number of reasons to hand it in beyond the purely ethical. First, it may be the proceeds of crime or forged, in which case it would be difficult to persuade the police not to treat me as the perpetrator of the original crime. Second, lost property never stops being the property of the original owner, with that amount of money they may put some effort into tracking it down and if it is the proceeds of crime then I might find myself in rather more trouble than just the police. Third, I'd find myself having to explain why I'd become considerably richer than I am now.

    If I found a low denomination note in the street and could not immediately identify the owner then I wouldn't worry about keeping it. In that case it's not worth my or the original owners while going out of our respective ways to hand it in to the police or ask the police if it's been handed in, it's a trivial sum. For much more than that it could cause someone hardship and they would be likely to try to retrieve it - it makes economic sense to do something about it.

    I was once given too much change in a shop, only a pound, I realized as I was leaving and returned the pound. It was definitely worth it just to see the look of amazement on the shopkeepers face.
  14. 24 Jul '16 20:04
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Phil3000's an idiot! Does he believe that I am joking?

    Some other writers (including Finnegan and KazetNagorra) also have noticed that Phil3000
    apparently hates all Muslims, including one who's honest enough to turn in 150000 Euros to the authorities.

    I wonder if this Syrian refugee had found a large amount of Phil3000's money and turned
    it in, would Phil3000 still hate him? Or even concede that he had a right to live in Europe?
    Phil3000 hasn't got a large amount of money to lose .
    You, joking ?... I find that hard to believe ,you do come across as a bit serious ,boring in fact .
    I dare say if you were in a pub and it was happy hour they would ask you to leave .
  15. 24 Jul '16 20:06
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    To be honest no, which might seem surprising but there are a number of reasons to hand it in beyond the purely ethical. First, it may be the proceeds of crime or forged, in which case it would be difficult to persuade the police not to treat me as the perpetrator of the original crime. Second, lost property never stops being the property of the origina ...[text shortened]... he pound. It was definitely worth it just to see the look of amazement on the shopkeepers face.