Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Mar '10 16:12 / 6 edits
    So where should you work if you don't like paying taxes? What line of work has seen employees who make over $100,000 increase by 46% from the years 2007-2009?

If you must know, you should go to work for the United States government that shows government employees owing more than $3 billion in federal income taxes from 2008. In an era of cutting back across the globe, there is one place where you can still flourish.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700013764/Fire-federal-employees-who-dont-pay-taxes-Chaffetz-says.html?s_cid-rss-30

Now that is redistribution Obama style!! The only problem is that those in government don't create wealth by producing anything, rather, they are just the middle men who now live like kings. The way governemnt is expanding perhaps one day we will all be government employees, but if that happens, who will they fleece?
  2. 06 Mar '10 16:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    So where should you work if you don't like paying taxes? What line of work has seen employees who make over $100,000 increase by 46% from the years 2007-2009?

If you must know, you should go to work for the United States government that shows government employees owing more than $3 billion in federal income taxes from 2008. In an era of cutting back ac ...[text shortened]... erhaps one day we will all be government employees, but if that happens, who will they fleece?
    I saw that yesterday. I don't know what gives there, but it should be changed, and people should lose those jobs.
    But we see examples of tax dollars used inappropriately everywhere...IE Charley Rangel. Until people get fed up, nothing is done.
    TEA PARTY in Rangels back yard.
  3. 06 Mar '10 17:33
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I saw that yesterday. I don't know what gives there, but it should be changed, and people should lose those jobs.
    But we see examples of tax dollars used inappropriately everywhere...IE Charley Rangel. Until people get fed up, nothing is done.
    TEA PARTY in Rangels back yard.
    Don't be silly, all we need to do is pass Obamacare and all will be right with the world.
  4. 06 Mar '10 17:39
    So where should you work if you don't like paying taxes?
    Somalia.
  5. 06 Mar '10 17:49
    Don't be silly, all we need to do is pass Obamacare and all will be right with the world.
    Well, I think his long term goal, puts more people out of work, so they don't worry about paying taxes..Of course then you can kiss the yearly vacation to Disney World, or hawaii goodbye. But it's all in how you view the picture... you may still have TV, then who really needs to travel, and worry about being blasted from the sky by some radical terrorist, who wants a quick way to Nirvanna?
    If I knew I could skip all this grief here on the planet, why wouldn't I want to speed it up, and just kill a dozen or so infidels?
    If you don't like the way things look, change the way you look at them.
  6. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    06 Mar '10 21:25 / 1 edit

If you must know, you should go to work for the United States government that shows government employees owing more than $3 billion in federal income taxes from 2008. In an era of cutting back ac erhaps one day we will all be government employees, but if that happens, who will they fleece?
    This isn't from the same people that gave you that smut article about federal employees getting paid so much more than the private sector is it?

Something seems pretty fishy. In general journalists are at best unreliable. Let me check it out.

Edit: Okay, I do see that they drag out the same BS about federal employees making too much money. Once again people, federal employees are overwhelmingly white collar and educated compared to the general population. Naturally they will have higher salaries. If you compared similar level private sector jobs to the general private sector you'd find an even bigger disparity in pay.

I also like the sneaky pharse "Despite those defaults, the number of federal employees earning more than $100,000 increased 46 percent from December 2007 to June 2009." First, what does that have to do with your tax situation? When considering you for a promotion, your boss doesn't say, "Hey, one more thing. Do you owe any taxes?" Second, the article offers no evidence that highly compensated federal employees are the problem. For all we know the highly compensated are much better about paying. The article doesn't follow through there.

The article gets a MAJOR FAIL for not giving any context to these numbers. Specifically, it doesn't give any evidence that government employees are more likely to be delinquent than non-government employees. Sure, nobody should be delinquent (well actually in some cases it may be best, but we can discuss that in some other thread), but since the article did not first establish that these employees were particularly bad, I'm inclined to pass this off as more skewed journalism. Failing to make this comparison is just too conspicuous to be incidental.
  7. 07 Mar '10 02:01
    Originally posted by telerion
    This isn't from the same people that gave you that smut article about federal employees getting paid so much more than the private sector is it?

Something seems pretty fishy. In general journalists are at best unreliable. Let me check it out.

Edit: Okay, I do see that they drag out the same BS about federal employees making too much money. Once ag ...[text shortened]... journalism. Failing to make this comparison is just too conspicuous to be incidental.
    Ok, Mr. out of context, the point here is that government is enlaring by leaps and bounds, or do you deny this?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '10 02:18
    Ok, Mr. out of context, the point here is that government is enlaring by leaps and bounds, or do you deny this?
    On the contrary, I think the point here is that in your efforts to demand something better than lies, deception and stultifying bias from your political classes, you systematically use lies, deception and stultifying bias to press your case here at RHP.

And as for your question, is government in the U.S. enlarging by leaps and bounds? By leaps and bounds? No. Of course not. And your inability to produce evidence other than disengenuous, deceptively worded slithers of hack partisan journalism seems to confirm this.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '10 02:37 / 2 edits
    I don't think government employees get paid a particularly large wage. In law school, I always wanted to be a prosecutor and I got an offer to join a DA's office after law school, but I had to reject it because of the absurdly low starting salary. I knew that if I wanted to get married, start a family and buy a house in my preferred community (all things I wanted to do at the time, but didn't do until a few years later), there was no way I could do it on an ADA salary.

Yes, that was state government. The federal wage scale is a bit higher, but nothing compared to the private sector's comparable jobs.

Yes, you get good job security and excellent benefits and there's no danger that your employer is going to go out of business (yet), but you compensate for those things by taking a lower salary.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '10 03:32
    Topic: Taxes and salaries

Case study: What line of work has seen employees who make over $100,000 increase by 46% from the years 2007-2009? etc. etc. and Now that is redistribution Obama style!! The only problem is that those in government don't create wealth by producing anything, rather, they are just the middle men who now live like kings.

Question: ...[the]government is enlaring by leaps and bounds, or do you deny this?

You've made no case here, whodey.

In terms of taxes, have they increased "by leaps and bounds" under the current administration? Answer: no.

In terms of public sector workers, have number increased "by leaps and bounds" under the current administration? Answer: no.

In terms of public sector salaries at the high end, have they grown "by leaps and bounds" or by any unusual or unforeseen degree under the current administration? Answer: no.

As for your deliberate deception and/or the deliberate deception - i.e. misleading insinuation - attempted by the journalist who wrote the piece you cited in the OP about public sector workers having more of a proclivity to not pay their taxes than any other group, well telerion has delivered a debating death blow to that.
  11. 07 Mar '10 03:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    Topic: [b]Taxes and salaries

Case study: What line of work has seen employees who make over $100,000 increase by 46% from the years 2007-2009? etc. etc. and Now that is redistribution Obama style!! The only problem is that those in government don't create wealth by producing anything, rather, they are just the middle men who now live like kings. ...[text shortened]... r taxes than any other group, well telerion has delivered a debating death blow to that.
    can you waltz too?
  12. 07 Mar '10 05:33 / 1 edit
    ***WARNING***. THE FOLLOWING IS MORE RIGHT WINGED PROGAGANDA THAT MIGHT MELT THE BRAINS OF WHATEVER IS LEFT OF LEFTWINGED POSTERS HERE AT RPH. READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Here are a few more articles to drive home my point.

http://www.wetfeet.com/Undergrad/Finding-the-jobs/Articles/Government-Jobs--Why-They%E2%80%99re-Hot-Right-Now.aspx

In this article we see that with Obama'new policies another 600,000 government jobs should be added. Compare that to the article below written in the fall of 2008 which showed that for the year private sector jobs shrank by 760,000.

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2008/10/no_government_jobs_recession_y.html

It even gets better. The article stated that government jobs for the year had already increased by 200,000 across the country with growth in government jobs in 11 out of the last 12 months as the economy crashed and burned at the same time. In addition, a research article, by The Citizen Budget Commission in New York, compared private sector jobs and government jobs. They found that public sector workers on average recieved 15% more for doing the same jobs. But it does not end there. When adding benefits the differences are even more staggering. The public employees get 46% more in benefits compared to private sector workers. For example, employee retirement packages cost the government 162% more than private sector retirement plans.
  13. 07 Mar '10 06:25 / 1 edit
    ***WARNING***. THE FOLLOWING IS MORE RIGHT WINGED PROGAGANDA THAT MIGHT MELT THE BRAINS OF WHATEVER IS LEFT OF LEFTWINGED POSTERS HERE AT RPH. READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Here are a few more articles to drive home my point.

http://www.wetfeet.com/Undergrad/Finding-the-jobs/Articles/Government-Jobs--Why-They%E2%80%99re-Hot-Right-Now.aspx

In this article mployee retirement packages cost the government 162% more than private sector retirement plans.
    Well, at least FMF has managed to get you to label your cut-and-paste Republican smear jobs! I'd say that was a good days work. Leaps and bounds better than you. You should raise his wages! After all the Wall Street guys say you can't keep good talent without high wages and generous bonuses. I would think that if you wanted the government ran better then you would be willing to pay more to attract the necessary talent. You aren't one those types that always buys the cheapest Chinese toxic-plastic-crap that they can and then whines when it falls apart? Our government should be the best the money can buy (or it will be when GE and Exxon can purchase it broad daylight.)
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Mar '10 07:53
    What's wrong with government jobs?
    We have the same discussion in Rotterdam. "They" (that's the right-wing government) want to cut down on "ambtenaren" (that's government jobs), to save money.

So, what happens is the following: You cut down the amount of government employees, but the same amount of work still has to be done. You need to build roads, you have to maintain sewers, etc. You also have to keep drawing up the plans for this maintanance, etc.
    So, the work gets outsourced. The companies who do the "contractual" work not only need to do the work (same as the government employee), but they also want to make a profit.
    So, the profit comes by cutting corners at the job and by charging a lot of money.

So, the tax payer ends up paying more for less quality. All for the sake of getting rid of government jobs.

The rhetoric sounds good when the right-wing scum are shouting that we have to save money, but when the final bill arrives on the tax payers doorstep, he feels jibbed.
    And quite rightly so.
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    07 Mar '10 10:36
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    What's wrong with government jobs?
    We have the same discussion in Rotterdam. "They" (that's the right-wing government) want to cut down on "ambtenaren" (that's government jobs), to save money.

So, what happens is the following: You cut down the amount of government employees, but the same amount of work still has to be done. You need to build roads, yo ...[text shortened]... final bill arrives on the tax payers doorstep, he feels jibbed.
    And quite rightly so.
    Why do I get the feeling shav is a gummint employed parasite.