Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Oct '16 09:52 / 1 edit
    Trump vs Hillary tax plans
    YouTube

What are Trump supporters opinions on his tax plans. For a moment forget about everything else about Hillary and Trump. Which tax plan do you prefer and why?
  2. 13 Oct '16 12:15
    I support the "Take all the wealth of Hillary and Donald" redistribution tax plan.
  3. 13 Oct '16 12:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I support the "Take all the wealth of Hillary and Donald" redistribution tax plan.
    So basically you have no actual views other than 'I hate government'.

(By the way, Hillarys tax plan is the closest match to your stated aim.)
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 13:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [youtube]SgicDQHbV3M[/youtube]

What are Trump supporters opinions on his tax plans. For a moment forget about everything else about Hillary and Trump. Which tax plan do you prefer and why?
    Exactly. I've been saying for years that the middle-class workers in this country continually drink the Republican kool-aid and vote against their best interests.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Oct '16 14:26

I'm not a Trump supporter and of course I think his plan is insane (like most of what comes out of his mouth/camp).

However, that Trump's is much worse doesn't make Hillary's plan good. In a fairly strong economy with low unemployment, there's no excuse for maintaining the kinds of budget deficits we have right now. On the contrary, we should be running budget surpluses now if for nothing else, then to feel the social security trust funds. Closing loopholes like carried interest and small raising of marginal tax rates are fine, but spending cuts are also necessary.

Sooner or later, interest rates are going to go up and we have to pay down the national debt as much as possible now before that happens. Otherwise, a debt spiral is a real possibility
  6. 13 Oct '16 15:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    Closing loopholes like carried interest and small raising of marginal tax rates are fine, but spending cuts are also necessary.
    So you are OK with Hillarys tax plan, but want spending cuts too?
    Do you favour spending cuts over higher (than Hillarys) taxes?
    What areas would you cut? What spending cuts / hikes are the candidates proposing?
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Oct '16 17:58 / 1 edit
    So you are OK with Hillarys tax plan, but want spending cuts too?
    Do you favour spending cuts over higher (than Hillarys) taxes?
    What areas would you cut? What spending cuts / hikes are the candidates proposing?
    Hillary's plan isn't aggressive enough. I'd eliminate all her proposed cuts to the poor and middle class and increase (or at least hold steady) her hikes on the rich. I'd also:

1. Have FICA tax pick up against at $250k income
    2. Raise the social security benefits ages by 3 years across the board
    3. Raise the Medicare age to 67
    4. Cut earmarks
    5. Reduce the federal workforce, but just by a little
    6. Reduce military spending (I don't know why we need military bases in western Europe, for example)
    7. Phase in a means test for some social security benefits
    8. Tax transfers (including taxable gifts and estates) as income
    9. Cap depreciation deductions
    10. Institute a small wealth tax (maybe 0.1% per year)
    11. Cut farm subsidies
    12. Cut funding of the arts

or some combinations thereof...

Frankly, I don't think it should be that difficult to come up with a $250M annual surplus or more. When the next recession hits, we can spend the surplus on economic stimuli. But in the meantime, we can pay down some of the debt.
  8. 13 Oct '16 18:35
    Hillary's plan isn't aggressive enough.
    So taxwise, you appear to be further left than Clinton. Is that how you see your politics in general, or only in terms of tax? Is there a credible independent candidate that better matches your views?
  9. 13 Oct '16 18:47

Lying liars lie!
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 20:23
    I'm not a Trump supporter and of course I think his plan is insane (like most of what comes out of his mouth/camp).

However, that Trump's is much worse doesn't make Hillary's plan good. In a fairly strong economy with low unemployment, there's no excuse for maintaining the kinds of budget deficits we have right now. On the contrary, we should be running budg ...[text shortened]... debt as much as possible now before that happens. Otherwise, a debt spiral is a real possibility
    The "doomandgloom'ers" are saying that Social Security is in trouble and that we can't pay down our debt so that we can't help the poor and disadvantaged, because that would slow down the money conveyor to the top 1%.

Social Security and the debt are both sustainable right now. But the infrastructure in this country is making us look like a third-world nation. A new "New Deal" to put people back to work re-building this country would help so many, and we CAN do it now.

We need to stop holding Corporate America's hand the way the Republicans have been doing (because most reps in congress are sucking at the corporate teat) and finally acknowledge that "trickle-down" Reaganism's "voodoo economics" does not help anybody except the 1%.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 20:29
    So taxwise, you appear to be further left than Clinton. Is that how you see your politics in general, or only in terms of tax? Is there a credible independent candidate that better matches your views?
    Give me a break. He's a Republican. Moderate, maybe, but still a Republican. These ideas are not "left" in any shape of the word.
  12. 13 Oct '16 21:58 / 2 edits

However, that Trump's is much worse doesn't make Hillary's plan good. In a fairly strong economy with low unemployment, there's no excuse for maintaining the kinds of budget deficits we have right now. On the contrary, we should be running budg ...[text shortened]... debt as much as possible now before that happens. Otherwise, a debt spiral is a real possibility
    Pfft

Paying what we owe is soo 1960's.

You sir are a regressive, trying to drag us back to ancient times.

We run trillion dollar deficits and print money.

What could possibly go wrong?
  13. 13 Oct '16 22:00
    So basically you have no actual views other than 'I hate government'.

(By the way, Hillarys tax plan is the closest match to your stated aim.)
    I am too cynical to think that anyone in Washington gives a damn about anything other than trying to bring in more tax dollars and raising deficits.

I hear Hillary wants free community college and free abortions, just to stick it to conservatives.

Yay
  14. 13 Oct '16 22:45

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." -- Confucius (attrib)

OK, maybe not a diamond, exactly.
  15. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    13 Oct '16 23:02

Hillary's plan is more realistic. Trump in typical republican fashion, wants big tax cuts for a number of groups (mostly rich people) this will make it impossible to balance the federal budget since far less tax revenue will be collected. When asked how he plans to balance the budget with these tax cuts in place, Trump responded with a very vague, and unintelligible answer. (In typical republican fashion) We have enough of a federal deficit now without adding to it by slashing taxes.