Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 11 Oct '13 05:27
    "I'm being told by several sources that Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor are plotting to give up trying to either defund or delay Obamacare. . . . In doing so, they will sow the seeds of a real third party movement that will fully divide the Republican Party." --Extreme Right-Winger Erick Erickson

    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2013/10/10/the-shutdown-is-starting-a-gop-tea-party-civil-war
  2. 11 Oct '13 05:29
    No. It makes no sense for either the TP or the "establishment" GOP to divide the vote in a district voting system.
  3. 11 Oct '13 05:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No. It makes no sense for either the TP or the "establishment" GOP to divide the vote in a district voting system.
    Yet, we can only hope. The Tea Party is not always prone to logic.
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    11 Oct '13 12:32
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Yet, we can only hope. The Tea Party is not always prone to logic.
    Erickson does not intend to go 3rd party. The Tea Party will continue to bring pressure from the right on the wimpy "leaders" of the GOP.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    11 Oct '13 15:17
    Originally posted by moon1969
    "I'm being told by several sources that Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor are plotting to give up trying to either defund or delay Obamacare. . . . In doing so, they will sow the seeds of a real third party movement that will fully divide the Republican Party." --Extreme Right-Winger Erick Erickson

    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2013/10/10/the-shutdown-is-starting-a-gop-tea-party-civil-war
    Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how far that will fly though. Most republicans know this will weaken their political power. We'll just have to see.
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    11 Oct '13 16:17
    Originally posted by bill718
    Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how far that will fly though. Most republicans know this will weaken their political power. We'll just have to see.
    There is no use in trying to maintain political power which constantly works against you. The Tea Party's message to weak-kneed Republicans is straightforward. Either do what we want or we will fight you all the way, and primary you from the right at every opportunity.
  7. 11 Oct '13 16:32
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    There is no use in trying to maintain political power which constantly works against you. The Tea Party's message to weak-kneed Republicans is straightforward. Either do what we want or we will fight you all the way, and primary you from the right at every opportunity.
    Yes, it is the race to the right, in American conservative politics. The dems will edge toward the center, at least image-wise, hoping to pick up center-right voters dismayed at some of the extreme right possibilities.
  8. 11 Oct '13 17:38
    Looks like the GOP is cutting deals.

    Yeah, the Tea Party losing so badly, they must be ashamed in front of their kids. And rightly so.

    Now, the Tea Partier joke of a man hanging his head in shame at his "loss," gladly deposits his welfare check and makes his trailer house payment, and continues to complain about the black Muslim born in Kenya.
  9. 11 Oct '13 20:43
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes, it is the race to the right, in American conservative politics. The dems will edge toward the center, at least image-wise, hoping to pick up center-right voters dismayed at some of the extreme right possibilities.
    The "Dems will edge towards the center" ?!
    You cannot be serious.
    The Democratic party is speeding towards the far left more and more on a daily basis via the progressives that have hi-jacked that party.
    They are nowheres close to center and show no signs of going that direction.
  10. 11 Oct '13 22:51
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Erickson does not intend to go 3rd party. The Tea Party will continue to bring pressure from the right on the wimpy "leaders" of the GOP.
    From the beginning, the ideology of the TP fits more closely to the GOP, than the radical left Democratic party. However, in its infancy, there was quite a bit of discussion about appealing to both major parties with primary challenges where incumbents are rarely challenged, and instead of electing squishy R's radical left Democrats are replaced with moderate TP reps.

    I've always been among those that saw TP members in both major parties, and at some point the movement becoming strong enough to replace one of the originals, but never the traditional "third party" role, which is self destructive.

    The basics of the TP platform are not foreign to traditional Democrats, who voted for Truman, Kennedy, Reagan, and even Clinton. The message of balanced budgets, less intrusive taxes and regulations appeals to the great majority in both parties.
  11. 11 Oct '13 22:58
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes, it is the race to the right, in American conservative politics. The dems will edge toward the center, at least image-wise, hoping to pick up center-right voters dismayed at some of the extreme right possibilities.
    Establishment GOP leaders have tended to view themselves as Democrat lite, a purely losing strategy, proved by three Bush family defeats where the GOP candidate apologized for conservatism, this compared to Reagan's two landslides by his no non sense full throated conservatism.

    Romney lost because he adopted the leadership strategy. Conservatives don't want half baked representation. They aren't afraid of a fight, and are tired of leaders who apologize for them. The entire 20th century was a slide to the left. It has left the nation on the precipice of financial ruin.
  12. Standard member empovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    12 Oct '13 01:23
    Originally posted by moon1969
    "I'm being told by several sources that Speaker Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor are plotting to give up trying to either defund or delay Obamacare. . . . In doing so, they will sow the seeds of a real third party movement that will fully divide the Republican Party." --Extreme Right-Winger Erick Erickson

    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2013/10/10/the-shutdown-is-starting-a-gop-tea-party-civil-war
    Libertarian Party, please!

    The Koch brothers ruined the Tea Party. Simple as that.
  13. 12 Oct '13 03:57
    Originally posted by empovsun
    Libertarian Party, please!

    The Koch brothers ruined the Tea Party. Simple as that.
    The Tea Party is pure filth.

    Stand firm Mr. President. Do not negotiate with terrorists. We support you. And most of all, protect the ACA.
  14. 12 Oct '13 12:52
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Establishment GOP leaders have tended to view themselves as Democrat lite, a purely losing strategy, proved by three Bush family defeats where the GOP candidate apologized for conservatism, this compared to Reagan's two landslides by his no non sense full throated conservatism.

    Romney lost because he adopted the leadership strategy. Conservatives don' ...[text shortened]... 0th century was a slide to the left. It has left the nation on the precipice of financial ruin.
    In what sense - measured by what metric - was the entire 20th Century a "slide to the left"?
  15. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    13 Oct '13 01:01
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The Tea Party is pure filth.

    Stand firm Mr. President. Do not negotiate with terrorists. We support you. And most of all, protect the ACA.
    Why do you say the Tea Party is filth? I have been to a few meetings, and they are good people.