Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Mar '14 15:02
    I was just in Texas for a couple of days on business. I was struck by how strongly the people seem to identify as Texans first and Americans second. More Texas flags fly in public places than American flags and Texas Independence Day seems to trump July 4 on the Holiday list.

I laughed when Rick Perry suggested that Texas was considering seceding a couple of years back. But now I wonder whether a Texas secession movement, given the right political conditions, such as a super-liberal federal government, couldn't gain some traction.
  2. 27 Mar '14 15:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    I was just in Texas for a couple of days on business. I was struck by how strongly the people seem to identify as Texans first and Americans second. More Texas flags fly in public places than American flags and Texas Independence Day seems to trump July 4 on the Holiday list.

I laughed when Rick Perry suggested that Texas was considering seceding a couple o ...[text shortened]... t political conditions, such as a super-liberal federal government, couldn't gain some traction.
    I am not sure you can tell by just visiting but do you feel that the Texas first attitude is growing in strength or was it always just as vigorous?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Mar '14 15:17
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I am not sure you can tell by just visiting but do you feel that the Texas first attitude is growing in strength or was it always just as vigorous?
    Of course I can't tell just by visiting and that's why I'm soliciting feedback. And of course I have no idea whether Texas pride is waxing or waning or holding steady since I have no other frame of reference.
  4. 27 Mar '14 15:25
    I went to school in Texas and yes Texans do seem to see themselves as Texans first. I see nothing wrong with that. They see the ideal and do not want to belong to something that is wrong. The East Coast people should not have the power to tell the rest of us how things are going to be. Places like Texas can survive on their own just fine without the East Coast arrogant jerks.
  5. 27 Mar '14 15:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I went to school in Texas and yes Texans do seem to see themselves as Texans first. I see nothing wrong with that. They see the ideal and do not want to belong to something that is wrong. The East Coast people should not have the power to tell the rest of us how things are going to be. Places like Texas can survive on their own just fine without the East Coast arrogant jerks.
    Should Texans have the power to tell East Coast arrogant jerks how things are going to be?
  6. 27 Mar '14 15:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Should Texans have the power to tell East Coast arrogant jerks how things are going to be?
    Of course not, which is why we are supposed to be a Federal government with local governments.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    27 Mar '14 18:29

I laughed when Rick Perry suggested that Texas was considering seceding a couple o ...[text shortened]... t political conditions, such as a super-liberal federal government, couldn't gain some traction.
    Texas will never secede because they need the US military to protect them from Mexico
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Mar '14 19:03
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Whoa. Relax.

In your experience, do most Texans have that large a chip on their shoulders?
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    27 Mar '14 19:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Texas will never secede because they need the US military to protect them from Mexico
    Heard of demographic change? In time maybe Texas will vote to rejoin Mexico.
  10. 27 Mar '14 19:27 / 1 edit
    Whoa. Relax.

In your experience, do most Texans have that large a chip on their shoulders?
    Most? I don't know about most, but common yes. They especially don't like New Yorkers.
  11. Standard member Soothfast
    27 Mar '14 20:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Heard of demographic change? In time maybe Texas will vote to rejoin Mexico.
    Southern Texas is largely Hispanic (and is a thoroughly "blue" region in a "red state" ). If Texas were to secede from the US, I foresee the southern third of the state seceding from Texas.
  12. 27 Mar '14 20:51
    Originally posted by Soothfast to finnegan
    Southern Texas is largely Hispanic (and is a thoroughly "blue" region in a "red state" ).
    If Texas were to secede from the US, I foresee the southern third of the state seceding from Texas.
    There's a historical precedent: West Virginia seceded from Virginia
    after Virginia seceded from the USA and joined the CSA.
  13. 27 Mar '14 23:07 / 1 edit
    Of course I can't tell just by visiting and that's why I'm soliciting feedback. And of course I have no idea whether Texas pride is waxing or waning or holding steady since I have no other frame of reference.
    I would love to see a referendum and then watch the hilarity as Obama and company try to decide on whether to sue them or attack them as they trample the democratic process to secede.

I'm sure Putin would get a big kick out of it. Then he could rally all the international countries against the US.
  14. 27 Mar '14 23:26

Texas is the only State that was first a nation before becoming a State. They fought their own war of independence. Then they joined the CSA, and lost. An interesting history.

I can see the reasons for secession being a legitimate option for Texans. Their long seacoast on the Gulf makes it a real possibility.
  15. 27 Mar '14 23:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The US military and border patrol are doing a piss poor job, and the invasion has been ongoing for decades, if we believe the numbers of illegals crossing the border, many of whom settle in Texas.