1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 17:111 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I just told you why, and either english is not your first language, you can't read any language, or you intentionally ignored what I wrote and you quoted.

In any case, if you have nothing logical or factual to add.

Let's try once again extra slowly, using fire insurance as an example. If a preexisting condition like your house is already on fire adverse selection". Google those two terms, and do some reading, and get back to me.
    I'll bet you a million dollars that when the exchanges are up and running the vast majority of people who are presently not covered will almost immediately buy health insurance.

People need health insurance not merely for catastrophic illnesses, but for their everyday care. They won't sit around and gleefully say "OOOH! The fines are less than insurance so I won't buy it! Screw getting any kind of preventative care; I'll just wait until I'm on my deathbed to take advantage of something that will improve my quality of life!"

Friedmanites really make me laugh.

EDIT: I love the "fire insurance" example. It's beyond stupid. If you wait for "your house to be on fire", the insurance won't cover anything prior to the signing of the contract. So while you're on the way to the insurance reps office, you'll have already lost the value of your house. In similar fashion, just because you can't be denied because of a pre-existing condition, doesn't mean that health care bills incurred before signing the insurance contract will be paid by the health insurance carrier. So if you wait around until the heart attack, you'll be stuck for the bills for treating it.

So rational people will buy health insurance before they get sick and the no denial for pre-existing conditions won't matter a bit.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 17:311 edit
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I'm curious about your opinion on illegals?
    1. How much do they tax our current system, not only in the medical fields, but also education?
    2. Do our tax dollars get spent on people who are here illegally?
    3. If so, what is the remedy?
    My opinion, is the rules of God over rule the laws of man. So we take care of our brothers.
    For various reasons, we do need to find a way to minimize the percentage of the population that is here illegally. Probably some combination of increased border enforcement, crackdowns vs employers, and reforms to the naturalization process.

But it's likely that illegals are actually a net benefit to citizens. Most of them come from truly deplorable conditions in their home country. As a result they're often willing to do onerous, tedious, dangerous work that Americans would never stoop to doing and-or for very low wages that Americans would never accept. Because for them, it's a big step up from where they were before. And because they're illegal, they're in no position to complain so they can be harshly exploited.

And the rest of us benefit from the lower prices we get to pay because of their willingness to toil so cheaply.

And while the rules of God may ultimately overrule the rules of Caeser, it appears that God nevertheless lets Caeser rule as he sees fit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree