Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Sep '09 16:27 / 2 edits
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601202&sid=ae.UJ5PvGXys

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus will seek to make insurance more affordable for low- income people and may scale back a proposed tax on high-end health plans to win support for an overhaul of the system.

The Montana Democrat, whose health-care proposal drew fire last week from both parties, will expand subsidies for people trying to obtain coverage through an online exchange, said Senator Kent Conrad, a finance panel member. He is also likely to cut back an excise tax on so-called Cadillac plans so fewer people would be affected, a critical issue for labor unions.

Great idea, Max. Increase benefits and cut offsetting revenue streams. That'll win 'em over.

Why is it that we want things, but we're not willing to pay for them? This recycled story is getting depressing. We want something, so the politicians promise it. So, they propose ways to raise money to pay for it. So, people complain. So, the politicians say "Okay, never mind that raising money to pay for it stuff. We'll just give you the stuff. If we need money to pay for it, we'll print it. Just please vote for me. Pleeeeease..."

Can you imagine if individuals ran their finances like that? Oh wait, they do. That's why we had the credit crisis. Gee, I wonder where they take their cue from?
  2. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    22 Sep '09 16:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601202&sid=ae.UJ5PvGXys

[i]Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus will seek to make insurance more affordable for low- income people and may scale back a proposed tax on high-end health plans to win support for an overhaul of the system.

The Montana Democrat, whose health-care proposal drew fire last week fr y do. That's why we had the credit crisis. Gee, I wonder where they take their cue from?
    [/i]The average IQ is 100.

'nuff said.
  3. 22 Sep '09 18:46 / 1 edit
    The main reason I have hope is Ross Perot's success in 1992. Despite dropping out of the race for a couple of months, and being rather eccentric, he still managed to get 19% of the vote.

The guy came out of nowhere, put out a book about how we need to balance the budget that included specific tax increases and spending cuts, ran some infomercials on the topic, and suddenly he was even in the polls with Bush and Clinton before he dropped out (my theory is that he never imagined he could win, and didn't really want to.)

I thought that Perot's success would lead to a host of imitators - with a similar message, a similar blunt, unvarnished message, with similar infomercials with lots of charts and graphs. But there have been none. I was wondering if McCain would take this route after losing the GOP primary in 2000, but I guess he lost touch with his inner maverick. I was also sort of hoping Jesse Ventura would make a similar bid - although this might have been scary.
  4. 22 Sep '09 18:54
    The US economy needs some draconic income redistribution to get on track. This requires significant tax increases for the upper middle class.
  5. 22 Sep '09 19:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The US economy needs some draconic income redistribution to get on track. This requires significant tax increases for the upper middle class.
    the irony is that those upper middle class people seem to be more in favor of this than a lot of the people on the receiving end.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Sep '09 19:24
    Originally posted by uzless
    [/i]The average IQ is 100.

'nuff said.
    Surely 100 is high in the US?