Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '11 20:44
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress_Joint_Select_Committee_on_Deficit_Reduction

The Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction is a joint select committee of the United States Congress, created by the Budget Control Act of 2011 on August 2, 2011. The act was intended to prevent the rapid process of sovereign default that would have resulted from the 2011 U.S. Debt Ceiling Crisis, and has been interpreted as a reaction to frustration over prolonged partisan political disputes during an uncertain economic struggling to recover from the late-2000s recession.

[...]

The committee will consist of twelve members of Congress, six from the United States House of Representatives and six from the United States Senate, with each delegation to be expected to be evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans.

___

Currently assigned:

Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R, TX): Committee on Financial Services
    Rep. Dave Camp (R, MI): Committee on Ways and Means
    Rep. Fred Upton (R, MI): Committee on Energy and Commerce
    Sen. Patty Murray (D, WA): Committees on Appropriations; Veterans’ Affairs; Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions; the Budget; Rules and Administration
    Sen. Max Baucus (D, MT): Committees on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry; Finance; Environment and Public Works; Taxation
    Sen. John Kerry (D, MA): Committees on Commerce, Science, and Transportation; Finance; Foreign Relations; Small Business and Entrepreneurship
    Sen. Jon Kyl (R, AZ): Committees on the Judiciary; Finance
    Sen. Pat Toomey (R, PA): Committees on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs; the Budget; Commerce, Science, and Transportation
    Sen. Rob Portman (R, OH)

___

Thoughts?

A few observations I have: with eight out of nine candidates chosen, only one is a woman. Most are Caucasian.

I for one believe that having a simple majority recommendation requirement was a poor decision, because it may very well enable either party to target any lone moderate and bypass approval from the rest of the committee. Also, just because both houses of Congress may eventually pass the recommendations does not mean that they will do so willingly; having a supermajority recommendation would lend itself credibility and leverage pressure against both houses to act responsibly.
  2. 10 Aug '11 20:57
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress_Joint_Select_Committee_on_Deficit_Reduction

[i]The Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction is a joint select committee of the United States Congress, created by the Budget Control Act of 2011 on August 2, 2011. The act was intended to prevent the rapid process of sovereign default that would have ...[text shortened]... tion would lend itself credibility and leverage pressure against both houses to act responsibly.
    You have 6 intransigent right wingers for the Republicans and three wishy-washy moderates for the Democrats - two of which are beholden to military industry donors.

Not looking good.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Aug '11 21:01
    No members of the gang of 6? No Coburn or Conrad? No Paul Ryan? This is already looking like a joke.
  4. 10 Aug '11 21:05
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    This is already looking like a joke.
    Welcome to US politics.
  5. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '11 21:10
    No members of the gang of 6? No Coburn or Conrad? No Paul Ryan? This is already looking like a joke.
    I read that Ryan asked not to be appointed.

Having seen how broken the system is, he's taking the high road and apparently looking to reform the budget process altogether.
  6. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '11 21:13 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    You have 6 intransigent right wingers for the Republicans and three wishy-washy moderates for the Democrats - two of which are beholden to military industry donors.

Not looking good.
    On what basis do you define Murray or Kerry as moderates?

For what it's worth, in a quick search I'm not seeing much, either, in the way of any of those Republicans' political positions suggesting that they will be willing to compromise. The only thing I found out by reading Wiki was that Dave Camp is apparently on the Republican Main Street Partnership policy group, which is the moderate version of the Republican Study Committee. Go figure, though: apparently he's also a member of--you guessed it--the Republican Study Committee.
  7. 10 Aug '11 21:23
    Appointing Ryan to anything would be a joke.
  8. 10 Aug '11 21:36
    On what basis do you define Murray or Kerry as moderates?

For what it's worth, in a quick search I'm not seeing much, either, in the way of any of those Republicans' political positions suggesting that they will be willing to compromise. The only thing I found out by reading Wiki was that Dave Camp is apparently on the Republican Main Street Partnersh ...[text shortened]... e, though: apparently he's also a member of--you guessed it--the Republican Study Committee.
    Kerry has already pushed for Medicare and Social Security cuts, so that seems a done deal - even if Pelosi keeps her promise to appoint 3 who oppose entitlement cuts.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/reid-picks-murray-kerry-baucus-for-super-committee----heres-the-upshot.php

Max Baucus the the Republicans' ace-in-the-hole in any case.
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '11 22:07 / 1 edit
    Kerry has already pushed for Medicare and Social Security cuts, so that seems a done deal - even if Pelosi keeps her promise to appoint 3 who oppose entitlement cuts.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/reid-picks-murray-kerry-baucus-for-super-committee----heres-the-upshot.php

Max Baucus the the Republicans' ace-in-the-hole in any case.
    Even if Kerry is supportive of entitlement reform, what makes you certain he will support a compromise that doesn't require Republicans to compromise on something, too (such as tax reform)?

Everything I've read about Baucus tells me he is politically moderate, but again, why do you claim Murray is, too?
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    10 Aug '11 22:11
    McCain would have been a very good pick. Too bad.
  11. 10 Aug '11 22:17
    Even if Kerry is supportive of entitlement reform, what makes you certain he will support a compromise that doesn't require Republicans to compromise on something, too (such as tax reform)?

Everything I've read about Baucus tells me he is politically moderate, but again, why do you claim Murray is, too?
    I'm concerned about Murray's heavy reliance on military industry campaign donations, more than her moderation.

But overall, my problem is that once again, the Republicans are treating the situation like a knife fight while the Democrats are treating it like a debating society event.
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Aug '11 22:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    McCain would have been a very good pick. Too bad.

Kyl is about the same thing.
  13. 10 Aug '11 22:50
    Well, Sen. Sherrod Brown (who would have been a great person to be on the committee) is saying that Sen. Portman is open to tax increases despite the Grover Norquist pledge.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/sherrod-brown-hugs-rob-portman----claims-hes-open-to-closing-deficit-with-taxes.php?ref=fpb

I'll believe it when I see it.
  14. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    10 Aug '11 23:07 / 1 edit
    I'm concerned about Murray's heavy reliance on military industry campaign donations, more than her moderation.

But overall, my problem is that once again, the Republicans are treating the situation like a knife fight while the Democrats are treating it like a debating society event.
    I'm not necessarily excited about the committee's composition, either, but I'm not resigned to be hopeless, and ultimately I disagree with your assessment that Murray is politically moderate; I think she is in fact quite liberal.
  15. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    10 Aug '11 23:14
    I'm not necessarily excited about the committee's composition, either, but I'm not resolved to be hopeless, and ultimately I disagree with your assessment that Murray is politically moderate; I think she is in fact quite liberal.
    Murray is chair of the DSCC. I'd be surprised to see any compromise from her at all during election season.