Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 May '16 20:56
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley

"The Day We Discovered Our Parents Were Russian Spies:
    For years Donald Heathfield, Tracey Foley and their two children lived the American dream.
    Then an FBI raid revealed the truth: they (the parents) were agents of Putin's Russia"
    --Shaun Walker

On 27 June 2010, Tim Foley (it was his 20th birthday) and his brother Alex (age 16)
    believed they were ordinary North American (born in Canada, naturalized US citizens) young men.
    That was until the FBI knocked on the door of their house and changed their lives.
    Their parents really were Andrei Bezrukov and Elena Vavilova, who had been
    trained as spies by the KGB and then were working for the SVR (KGB's successor agency).

With their parents in jail and bank accounts frozen, Tim and Alex were left
    with only the money in their pockets and whatever they could borrow from friends.
    At first, they refused to believe that the charges against their parents could be true.
    What should they do? Their mother advised them to leave the USA (to
    avoid the media circus besieging their house) temporarily and go to Moscow.
    So, presumably leaving most of their prized possessions behind, the sons
    set off for Russia, perhaps not expecting they could never return to the USA.
    After landing in Moscow, they were greeted by English-speaking Russians
    who promised to take care of them and showed them to an apartment.
    The sons were told to make themselves at home. Indeed, it was going to be their home.
    But they never had been in Russia before, spoke no Russian, and did not feel Russian.
    When their Russian relatives came to visit them, their interactions were awkward.
    After being released in a spy exchange, their parents joined them in Moscow.
    Tim and Alex struggled to adapt to a new culture and continue their educations.

Six years later, Tim and Alex still don't identify themselves as truly Russian
    and would prefer to live outside Russia. Having been born in Canada,
    they have applied to have their Canadian citizenship restored and hope
    to live there again. Their argument is that it's unfair to punish them only
    on account of whatever their parents did.

So should the Canadian-born children of Russian spies have their
    Canadian citizenship restored and be allowed to return to Canada?
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '16 21:08 / 3 edits
    So should the Canadian-born children of Russian spies have their Canadian citizenship restored and be allowed to return to Canada?

Perhaps the legal authorities in Canada and America are better able to answer this question correctly, rather than a small group of chess players on a website, with little knowledge of the finer points of Canadian and American Law.

Sincerely, The sexist, racist troll - bill718
  3. 08 May '16 21:13 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    So should the Canadian-born children of Russian spies have their Canadian citizenship restored and be allowed to return to Canada?

Perhaps the legal authorities in Canada are better able to answer this question correctly, rather than a small group of chess players on a website, with little knowledge of the finer points on Canadian Law.

Sincerely,- The sexist, racist troll - bill718
    In fact, this case will be eventually decided in a Canadian court.

Contrary to what the obsessive troll Bill718 seems eager to attack me ludicrously for,
    I don't expect most readers here to be qualified to practice law in Canada.
    I would point out that there are many debates here about economics even though
    almost no writers here (Vistesd may be an exception) are professional economists.

Bill718 has been condemned as a sexist troll by other white men such as Finnegan and Zahlanzi.

Here's some of what Finnegan wrote to Bill718:
    "Women on this site know that if they contribute to the debates Forum they risk being subjected
    to *abusive tirades by ignorant trolls* (such as Bill718)...Trolls don't like being made idiots of
    in public and respond with tasteless aggression, exposing their foul mindsets for all to see....
    Get used to it, Bill718....your abuse (of Duchess64) is not going to stop that."
    --Finnegan (19 April 2016, page 1, post 4, "American Rabbi's Comments on Rape" )
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '16 21:22
    Contrary to what the obsessive troll Bill718 seems eager to attack me ludicrously for...

Yes indeed. Suggesting that this question be brought to the proper authorities, who are better equipped to answer it correctly, DOES indeed constitute a vicious attack on Duchess. Such horrible attacks must not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. The punishment for the horrible, racist, sexist troll bill718 must be swift and severe!
  5. 08 May '16 21:30 / 2 edits
    Contrary to what the obsessive troll Bill718 seems eager to attack me ludicrously for...

Yes indeed. Suggesting that this question be brought to the proper authorities, who are better equipped to answer it correctly, DOES indeed constitute a vicious attack on Duchess. Such horrible attacks must not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. The punishment for the horrible, racist, sexist troll bill718 must be swift and severe!
    I already know that the facts and context don't matter to the obsessive lying troll Bill718.

But the troll Bill718's apparent ludicrous objection was that no one should be permitted to
    discuss this case because it has *not* yet been resolved in a Canadian court. I would
    remind the troll Bill718 that many writers here--none of whom are South African lawyers--
    discussed the Oscar Pistorius case *before* it was resolved in a South African court.
    Indeed, it's *still not* quite been resolved because Oscar Pistorius intends to appeal.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 May '16 21:42 / 2 edits
    But the troll Bill718's apparent ludicrous objection was that no one should be permitted to discuss this case because it has *not* yet been resolved in a Canadian court.

Earth to Duchess: Everyone should be permitted to discuss this case, including those on this site. I was only suggesting we not draw any conclusions until this case is ruled on, instead of seeing this, your hypersensitive nature took over (as usual), and took my suggestion for a personal attack, when in fact I was only trying to communicate a relevant thought in this case.

Sincerely - The horrible, racist, sexist, troll bill718
  7. 08 May '16 22:02 / 3 edits
    But the troll Bill718's apparent ludicrous objection was that no one should be permitted to discuss this case because it has *not* yet been resolved in a Canadian court.

Earth to Duchess: Everyone should be permitted to discuss this case, including those on this site. I was only suggesting we not draw any conclusions until this case is ruled on, instead o ...[text shortened]... te a relevant thought in this case.

Actually I find Duchess64 to be more of a racist and a sexist than almost anyone else on this site, he is always slobbering on about white American males. My personal pinion is that Duchess64 and FMF are the same person, FMF has been caught masquerading as a women before.
  8. 08 May '16 22:09 / 2 edits
    Too bad they weren't born in the US.
    To answer your question "So should the Canadian-born children of Russian spies have their Canadian citizenship restored and be allowed to return to Canada?"

Yes.
  9. 08 May '16 22:28

Earth to Duchess: Everyone should be permitted to discuss this case, including those on this site. I was only suggesting we not draw any conclusions until this case is ruled on, instead o ...[text shortened]... te a relevant thought in this case.

In contrast to the troll Bill718's latest apparent disingenuous excuse, many writers here
    have 'drawn conclusions' on legal cases (ranging from George Zimmerman to Oscar Pistorius)
    *before* those cases were 'ruled on' in court. But Bill718 never criticized those writers.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    09 May '16 00:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually I find Duchess64 to be more of a racist and a sexist than almost anyone else on this site, he is always slobbering on about white American males. My personal pinion is that Duchess64 and FMF are the same person, FMF has been caught masquerading as a women before.
    Thank You Robbie, and well said!
  11. 09 May '16 00:36
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    In contrast to the troll Bill718's latest apparent disingenuous excuse, many writers here
    have 'drawn conclusions' on legal cases (ranging from George Zimmerman to Oscar Pistorius)
    *before* those cases were 'ruled on' in court. But Bill718 never criticized those writers.
    Bill hasn't stopped anyone but himself from giving an opinion. Clearly, you have an agenda, and want to pick a fight. Good luck.
  12. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    09 May '16 07:30
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Bill hasn't stopped anyone but himself from giving an opinion. Clearly, you have an agenda, and want to pick a fight. Good luck.
    Ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! Are you listening Duchess?