Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:131 edit
    As a left leaning Independent, I tend to vote Democrat more than Republican, but it's high time the Democrats face a very unpleasant issue:

From the 40's to the 80's, my father was a working class, blue collar, pro union Democrat. The kind of guy the Democratic lawmakers could count on for their vote. Enter the Reagan revolution, and the landscape began to change. Democratic strategists began to take guys like my father for granted. Democrats began their feminist friendly, gay friendly, immigrant friendly, entitlement friendly, minority friendly march to the present day. Reaching out to these groups is all well and good up to a point, but in doing so, the Democratic party has allowed their once strong core of support to drift away. Today the working class white male feels like little more than an afterthought in the Democratic party. Democratic lawmakers and strategists had better find a way to reverse this exodus, or their problems will only get worse.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/1/29/16945106/democrats-white-working-class-demographics-alabama-clinton-obama-base
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:15
    Originally posted by @mchill
    From the 40's to the 80's, my father was a working class, blue collar, pro union Democrat. The kind of guy the Democratic lawmakers could count on for their vote. Enter the Reagan revolution, and the landscape began to change. Democratic strategists began to take guys like my father for granted. Democrats began their feminist friendly, gay friendly, immigran ...[text shortened]... ig-idea/2018/1/29/16945106/democrats-white-working-class-demographics-alabama-clinton-obama-base
    people keep talking about a blue wave...bet non of them know what the dem platform is...hell I don't know.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:201 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    people keep talking about a blue wave...bet non of them know what the dem platform is...hell I don't know.
    They'll be a blue wave, and the Republicans will take some major losses come the mid terms in November, but unless the Democrats solve their core problem, they will not be able to sustain it.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:26
    The real question is why those are still the only two choices available.
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:391 edit
    As a left leaning Independent, I tend to vote Democrat more than Republican, but it's high time the Democrats face a very unpleasant issue:

From the 40's to the 80's, my father was a working class, blue collar, pro union Democrat. The kind of guy the Democratic lawmakers could count on for their vote. Enter the Reagan revolution, and the landscape began t ...[text shortened]... ig-idea/2018/1/29/16945106/democrats-white-working-class-demographics-alabama-clinton-obama-base
    I wouldn't worry about it too much; there's little progressives can do to get whites who are voting based on racist fears and bigotry back in the fold. The electorate will soon pass to a millennial and young adult majority and they are far less likely to vote Republican; despite Hillary's weakness among young voters (as shown in the primaries), she still smashed Trump even among young white voters, capturing a majority of 18-29 year old white males and 2/3 of 18-29 white females. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2016/11/21/how-millennials-voted/
  6. Germany
    Moves
    06 May '18 16:53
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    The real question is why those are still the only two choices available.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 May '18 17:17

From the 40's to the 80's, my father was a working class, blue collar, pro union Democrat. The kind of guy the Democratic lawmakers could count on for their vote. Enter the Reagan revolution, and the landscape began t ...[text shortened]... ig-idea/2018/1/29/16945106/democrats-white-working-class-demographics-alabama-clinton-obama-base
    What problems faced by white males do you feel aren't being addressed by Dems?
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 May '18 21:011 edit

Racist white men are becoming a decreasing proportion of the USA's population or voters.
    It would be foolishly short-sighted (not that it could not happen) to appease and flatter racist
    white men when that would offend increasingly many voters who loathe racist white men.

Some Democratic strategists (usually white men themselves) may argue that the Democratic
    Party can afford to alienate many, if not most, non-white people because the Democrats
    will claim that the Republican Party's even more racist, so these alienated non-white people
    will likely not vote for the Republicans. But these alienated non-white people may choose
    not to vote for the Democrats too, either by staying home or voting for another party.

Many non-white people already believe that neither Democratic nor Republican white politicians
    sufficiently address their issues, though they may offer public support for such a politician
    when they are afraid that the alternative will be worse. The white-dominated mainstream
    US media has given attention to black rage (as in the Black Lives Matter movement) and
    Latino rage (as in protests over deportations). Contrary to the popular stereotype of all
    Asian Americans (a supposed 'model minority' ) being quiet, subservient, and cheerfully
    uncomplaining about racism (which allegedly does not exist against them), the Asian American
    media's full of the voices of Asian Americans (ranging from academics to poor immigrants
    struggling to get by) angry at the racism against themselves. In some cases, well-educated
    Asian Americans (US citizens by birth) have 'voted with their fate' and emigrated from the USA.

How much longer can American politicians win national elections when their core constituency
    is racist white men who are determined to keep their white privilege at all costs?
  9. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    06 May '18 21:13
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Racist white men are becoming a decreasing proportion of the USA's population or voters.
    It would be foolishly short-sighted (not that it could not happen) to appease and flatter racist
    white men when that would offend increasingly many voters who loathe racist white men.

Some Democratic strategists (usually white men themselves) may argue that the D ...[text shortened]... constituency
    is racist white men who are determined to keep their white privilege at all costs?
    Huh?

What gobbledy-gook is that? Lots of words...no logic.
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    06 May '18 21:35

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/californias-orange-county-may-play-key-midterm-election-role/ar-AAwOLu6?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 May '18 21:391 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    Huh?

What gobbledy-gook is that? Lots of words...no logic.
    Wolfe63 keeps showing the near illiteracy and general stupidity of some white men.
    No wonder these racist white men fight desperately to keep white privilege at all costs.
    No wonder some of these racist white men may believe that Donald Trump's a 'genius'.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    06 May '18 22:05
    Originally posted by @vivify
    What problems faced by white males do you feel aren't being addressed by Dems?
    Rural white poverty
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 May '18 22:05
    They'll be a blue wave, and the Republicans will take some major losses come the mid terms in November, but unless the Democrats solve their core problem, they will not be able to sustain it.
    "they'll"...really?
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 May '18 22:531 edit
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung to Vivify
    Rural white poverty
    In rural America, poverty is far from being exclusively white.

Although rural American may still be 'whiter' than urban America, rural Americans include
    increasingly many Latinos in addition to blacks whose roots go back to the sharecropping era.
    (During their forced internment in the Second World War, many Japanese Americans lost
    their farms, which typically were bought by white people for a tiny fraction of their value.)
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    07 May '18 00:01
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Rural white poverty
    What part of the Republican program addresses that issue?