Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 00:39
    THE DESERT LION OF ISIS/ISIL

    Shakir Wahiyib is a feared enforcer for the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham who does not cover up his face in videos of his killings.

    In an army full of masked, black-clad figures, he is the one man who is never shy to show his face. But for those unlucky enough to cross him, the face of Shakir Wahiyib, a feared enforcer for the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, is often the last they will ever see.

    The star of a series of grisly jihadist videos, including one in which three men are executed after failing his "Quranic quiz", Wahiyib is one of the few publicly-identified leaders of the shadowy jihadist group that has swept through northern Iraq.

    The movement, otherwise known as ISIS, generally instructs its followers to keep their faces masked to minimise the chances of them being tracked down by the Iraqi government. But while its commander-in-chief, Abu-Bakr al-Baghdadi, is even said to disguise himself while meeting fellow commanders, Wahiyib has no such reservations. Showing considerable relish for his work, he grins for the lenses of jihadi cameramen he goes on the rampage with his masked underlings.

    Despite his high profile, relatively little is known about the exact background of Wahiyib, who is referred to as the "Desert Lion" by his supporters. However, his tribal surname – Fahdawi – suggests he is from the Anbar-based Albu Fahd tribe, known to US forces as one of the "sinister six" that first allied with al-Qaeda after Saddam Hussein's fall.


    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2658182/Unmasked-The-public-face-ISIS-terror-army-threatening-destroy-Iraq.html

    ...the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour... (1 Peter 5:8).
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    19 Oct '14 00:57
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]THE DESERT LION OF ISIS/ISIL

    [quote] Shakir Wahiyib is a feared enforcer for the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham who does not cover up his face in videos of his killings.

    In an army full of masked, black-clad figures, he is the one man who is never shy to show his face. But for those unlucky enough to cross him, the face of Shakir Wahiyib, a ...[text shortened]... ]...the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour... (1 Peter 5:8). [/b][/b]
    Why have you started the same thread in two different forums?
  3. 19 Oct '14 01:03
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Why have you started the same thread in two different forums?
    My question is what is to be debated?
  4. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 01:59
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Why have you started the same thread in two different forums?
    I thought Metal Brain might be interested to see that ISIS/ISIL has leaders and one is clearly identified. He is known as "The Desert Lion" by his followers.
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 02:03
    Originally posted by normbenign
    My question is what is to be debated?
    You may debate any part of the post you disagree with. Like if ISIS/ISIL has any leaders or not. This is apparently what Metal Brain claims to doubt.
  6. 19 Oct '14 02:38
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I thought Metal Brain might be interested to see that ISIS/ISIL has leaders and one is clearly identified. He is known as "The Desert Lion" by his followers.
    That does not prove Baghdadi is alive or real, but I only suggested that because so many people were saying ISIS was not denying the alleged beheadings. My point was that Baghdadi was not saying anything that could be verified. There are no videos you could show me, just a picture that is the same everywhere. Just that one pic. Baghdadi could be dead for all you know. It is hard to get a video of a dead man.

    What do these pics of Shakir Wahiyib prove? Has he made any relevant statements?
  7. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 02:47
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    That does not prove Baghdadi is alive or real, but I only suggested that because so many people were saying ISIS was not denying the alleged beheadings. My point was that Baghdadi was not saying anything that could be verified. There are no videos you could show me, just a picture that is the same everywhere. Just that one pic. Baghdadi could be dead for ...[text shortened]... a dead man.

    What do these pics of Shakir Wahiyib prove? Has he made any relevant statements?
    Read the referenced article and look at the video.
  8. 19 Oct '14 03:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Read the referenced article and look at the video.
    I read the article. It says only 2 known pics exist of Baghdadi.

    Nothing else is of relevance.
  9. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 05:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I read the article. It says only 2 known pics exist of Baghdadi.

    Nothing else is of relevance.
    But apparently there are plenty of pictures and videos of the Desert Lion, Shakir Wahiyib.

    The leader of extremist group al-Qaida calls on Muslims across India to join a newly-formed branch. In a video posted online, Ayman al-Zawahiri calls for Islamic rule in the Indian subcontinent. Al-Qaida is trying to build support in Pakistan, India and Bangladesh as it struggles to compete with Islamic State (Isis).

    http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/04/al-qaida-leader-ayman-al-zawahiri-islamist-india-video
  10. 19 Oct '14 12:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    But apparently there are plenty of pictures and videos of the Desert Lion, Shakir Wahiyib.

    [quote] The leader of extremist group al-Qaida calls on Muslims across India to join a newly-formed branch. In a video posted online, Ayman al-Zawahiri calls for Islamic rule in the Indian subcontinent. Al-Qaida is trying to build support in Pakistan, India and Bang ...[text shortened]... w.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/04/al-qaida-leader-ayman-al-zawahiri-islamist-india-video
    But he is not Baghdadi.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Oct '14 14:19
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    But he is not Baghdadi.
    It is reported that Baghdadi doesn't even appear with an uncovered face to his own men. I guess we will just have to accept his wishes, sort of like the Lone Ranger. But we do have this leader and executioner called "the desert lion" that apparently is not afraid to be seen.
  12. 20 Oct '14 00:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is reported that Baghdadi doesn't even appear with an uncovered face to his own men. I guess we will just have to accept his wishes, sort of like the Lone Ranger. But we do have this leader and executioner called "the desert lion" that apparently is not afraid to be seen.
    Let me get this straight, there are pictures of Baghdadi but he is hiding his face from his own men?

    Are you really that stupid?
  13. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    20 Oct '14 00:14 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Let me get this straight, there are pictures of Baghdadi but he is hiding his face from his own men?

    Are you really that stupid?
    Well, that was what one report that I read said. It may not be true, but the reporter apparently believed it and I cannot disprove his statement. Can you?

    But while its commander-in-chief, Abu-Bakr al-Baghdadi, is even said to disguise himself while meeting fellow commanders, Wahiyib has no such reservations.
  14. 20 Oct '14 02:21
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, that was what one report that I read said. It may not be true, but the reporter apparently believed it and I cannot disprove his statement. Can you?

    But while its commander-in-chief, Abu-Bakr al-Baghdadi, is even said to disguise himself while meeting fellow commanders, Wahiyib has no such reservations.
    Ask yourself if it makes any sense.
  15. 20 Oct '14 03:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain to RJHinds
    Let me get this straight, there are pictures of Baghdadi but he is hiding his face from his own men?
    Are you really that stupid?
    Why would anyone take orders, particularly ones that involve killing or
    being killed, from a leader who keeps concealing his identity to the point
    that the follower cannot even be certain of who he is?