Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 Aug '15 14:31 / 4 edits
    He's larger than life. He's a smart businessman. He's loud. He's the darling of many in the GOP. So, what do you folks think of him? Will he win the GOP nomination? Will he go independent? Will he become our next President? Will he go down in flames?

I'll start this off if I may. I do admire Trump's business skills, I always have, he's a smart man, and most of the time he's pretty honest. He's not my pick for a President though, and not just because of his party affiliation. I've always favored the lower key deliberate, types, that's why I was so impressed with Rubio. Trump is the darling of many in the GOP, but he hurt his party with his comments about women, and for lashing out at Megyn Kelly. Her question was a legitimate one, and clearly caught him off guard. As I said before, the GOP needs more female and minority voters badly in the general election, and this performance by "The Donald" hurt them. The GOP hierarchy seems to agree since he's been barred from a conservative event in Atlanta. My grade for Trump...C-. Anyone else want to chime in?

http://time.com/3989656/donald-trump-redstate-gathering/
  2. 08 Aug '15 14:41
    If Trump is not part of the establishment then I say that Trumps all grades.
  3. Standard member Amaurote
    No Name Maddox
    08 Aug '15 14:49
    The thing I admire most about him is that he's a self-made man who started off in life with a mere 200 million dollars from his parents, who in turn accumulated much of their money via federal welfare. I think he can spread a message of hope to all Americans that they too can be self-made geniuses who achieved greatness through sole dint of their own efforts, particularly if they travel backwards in time to 1946 and replace him in the test tube.
  4. 08 Aug '15 15:10
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    The thing I admire most about him is that he's a self-made man who started off in life with a mere 200 million dollars from his parents, who in turn accumulated much of their money via federal welfare. I think he can spread a message of hope to all Americans that they too can be self-made geniuses who achieved greatness through sole dint of their own efforts, particularly if they travel backwards in time to 1946 and replace him in the test tube.
    Not to mention that Trump is such a brilliant businessman he went bankrupt only once.
  5. 08 Aug '15 17:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Not to mention that Trump is such a brilliant businessman he went bankrupt only once.
    A leftist concerned about bankruptcy?
  6. 08 Aug '15 20:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra to Amaurote
    "I do admire his (Donald Trump's) business skills. I always have, he's a smart man."
    --Bill718

What difference would one bankruptcy or more make among such 'smart men' (like Bill718)?

"And most of the time he's pretty honest."
    --Bill718

Does Bill718 like to invest his money with people who appear 'pretty honest' 'most of the time'?

"(Donald Trump) is a clown."
    --Sh76

I believe that Sh76 has a better judgment than Bill718 of Donald Trump as a politician.
  7. Subscriber Brother Edwin
    7 edits
    08 Aug '15 23:19
    It was tactical bankrupcy of business's.

I will visit that wall. And I hope the UK gets a share of that oil!
  8. 09 Aug '15 03:13
    So let me get this straight.

Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and cannot balance a check book and is an arrogant SOB?

Are these arguments that he is not fit for office or are they credentials that certify he is the guy for the job?
  9. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Aug '15 08:20 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    He's larger than life. He's a smart businessman. He's loud. He's the darling of many in the GOP. So, what do you folks think of him? Will he win the GOP nomination? Will he go independent? Will he become our next President? Will he go down in flames?

I'll start this off if I may. I do admire Trump's business skills, I always have, he's a smart man, and m ...[text shortened]... ...C-. Anyone else want to chime in?

http://time.com/3989656/donald-trump-redstate-gathering/
    It is clear that the Republican establishment do not want Trump or Ted Cruz to win, but Trump is more of a threat to them now. The question by Megyn Kelly was more fair than the first question asked because it would be one likely to be asked by the Democrats. However, the fact that Megyn Kelly would not accept his answer that it was meant for Rosie O'Donnell in their war of words with each other and not for all women was clearly unfair.

Under the circumstances, I doubt if he can win the Republican nomination, but if the party alienates him enough that he runs as an independent, then that would be very bad news for the Republicans. I noticed that the commentators on MSNBC News were enjoying the prospect as FOX News seemed oblivious to what they were actually doing in attempting to attack Trump from the beginning of the debate.
  10. 09 Aug '15 11:22
    Trump is a threat to the GOP establishment - not because he has any chance of winning the nomination, but because he damages the reputation of the Republican Party. The kind of voter Trump appeals to is the same kind of voter who thinks insulting people is the same as opposing "political correctness" and that Obama is a Muslim who wants to "destroy America." The GOP wants these "people" to vote for them but they don't want them to make too much noise because their association to the GOP alienates moderates who are needed to win the presidency. They will want to destroy Trump and do it swiftly and decisively - yet subtly - so he will not consider running as a third party candidate.
  11. 09 Aug '15 13:01
    Trump is a threat to the GOP establishment - not because he has any chance of winning the nomination, but because he damages the reputation of the Republican Party. The kind of voter Trump appeals to is the same kind of voter who thinks insulting people is the same as opposing "political correctness" and that Obama is a Muslim who wants to "destroy Amer ...[text shortened]... wiftly and decisively - yet subtly - so he will not consider running as a third party candidate.
    Had you ever considered becoming a political analyst for Chris Matthews?
  12. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    09 Aug '15 14:38
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I do admire his (Donald Trump's) business skills. I always have, he's a smart man."
    --Bill718

What difference would one bankruptcy or more make among such 'smart men' (like Bill718)?

"And most of the time he's pretty honest."
    --Bill718

Does Bill718 like to invest his money with people who appear 'pretty honest' 'most of the time'?

"(Donal ...[text shortened]... -Sh76

I believe that Sh76 has a better judgment than Bill718 of Donald Trump as a politician.
    I apologize deeply for my poor judgement. I'll try to do better next time. :'(
  13. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    09 Aug '15 14:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If Trump is not part of the establishment then I say that Trumps all grades.
    "The Donald" is becoming a nice gift to the Democrats. Every time he opens his mouth, more swing voters (especially females) flee the GOP.
  14. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Aug '15 16:06
    Trump said he never went Bankrupt personally, but was smart enough to use the bankruptcy laws to his business advantage, just like many other smart business men have done.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Aug '15 16:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Trump said he never went Bankrupt personally, but was smart enough to use the bankruptcy laws to his business advantage, just like many other smart business men have done.
    I don't hold it against him that his companies have filed for bankruptcy 4 times.

But I do hold it against him that he's constantly criticizing other people for financial irresponsibility while failing to concede that his companies' declaring bankruptcy four times denotes any level or financial irresponsibility.

Trump has made many good business decisions, but some bad ones as well. He seems to want to ignore or explain away the bad ones while taking full credit for the good ones.

Of course, my main issue with Trump has nothing to do with any of that. He's hotheaded; he's nasty; he's unstatesmanlike and he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is (Hell, nobody's as smart as Trump thinks he is). I might hire him to manage the building of my golf course. No way in the world I'd hire him to run my country.