Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 19:32
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/03/far-right-bbc-lbc-itv-media

"The far right is at its strongest since the 1930s, and the media is helping:
    Prominent far-right figures being given airtime on the BBC, LBC and ITV
    are not being properly challenged on their views"
    --Owen Jones

"The far right is on the march, and it is being legitimised and enabled by
    parts of the mainstream media."

"The reality is that the broadcast media more aggressively interrogates
    the opposition and its allies than it does fascists."

"The ascendant far right is, in part, the creation of a rightwing press
    that has spent years spewing venom about Muslims and immigrants."

"With Yaxley-Lennon [Tommy Robinson] out of prison, the far right has its
    Oswald Mosley figure and is at its strongest across the western world since the 1930s."
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 20:12
    Yes.
    The current era has already been called pre-fascist.

If I had to bet, I’d wager this is going to get very ugly the coming 10 to 15 years.
  3. Subscribergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:06
    Every time Owen Jones opens his mouth the far right gets stronger, so he is ironically correct.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:23
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/03/far-right-bbc-lbc-itv-media

--Owen Jones

"The far right is on the march, and it is being leg ...[text shortened]... as its
    Oswald Mosley figure and is at its strongest across the western world since the 1930s."
    This is quite possibly true, but those people who too freely accuse others of being racists, as well as waging cyber campaigns against white males only makes this problem worse. Radicalization of the far right is no more dangerous than radicalization on the other side of the scale.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:361 edit

--Owen Jones

"The far right is on the march, and it is being leg ...[text shortened]... as its
    D can you define: 'Far Right' versus 'Right'
    Is there some kind of scale with recognised characteristics that puts a person on one side of the line or the other. Please, you should refrain from using your dream feeling projections i.e. racists that have shown no signs of racism, do not think of themselves as racists, have given no indication of their own race, but whom you, through majic devination, deem to be closet racists.

Seems the term "Far Right" is being overworked to the point of meaninglessness the same way you've done with the word 'racist'.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 23:44
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/03/crowds-love-donald-trump-doctrine-us-midterms-november

"The crowds still love Donald Trump – but for how long?"

"Beyond the rallies, Trumpism continues apace, a potent cocktail of economic nationalism,
    opposition to immigration and vicious attacks on his opponents. Its twists and turns don’t
    seem to hurt Trump too much; his approval rating remains around the 40% mark, and
    has improved significantly since the winter."
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 01:28

--Owen Jones

Come to think of it, I have started to goose step as well as my right winged friends, but did not think anything of it at first. And I have started to grow a mustache.

Hmm.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 02:17
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Come to think of it, I have started to goose step as well as my right winged friends, but did not think anything of it at first. And I have started to grow a mustache.

Hmm.
    'far' right winged friends whodey.

faaarrrrrrrrr right
  9. Germany
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 07:14
    Originally posted by @whodey

Hmm.
    Good point whodey, you should definitely wait until there are concentration camps before admitting your mistake.

Oh wait... they're already there, and they have children in them.

But "liberals" are calling racists "racist!" Such crybabies! No wonder Trump won. Better continue voting against your interests, that will show those progressives who's boss!
  10. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 07:212 edits

--Owen Jones

You are correct and it’s frightening. The root problem however is not the manikin like blandness of certian media channels, it is the relentless slide into political and big-corporate globalism. A faceless greed-orientated urge which mobilises the far left’s pleas for unilateral pseudo egalatarianism as moral shield and banner.

In short, corporate greed dominating political motivations instead of elected leaders being accountable to and focusing on the will of the people who want independence and political autonomy. This is the centre of my stance against institutions such as the EU.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 07:29
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    You are correct and it’s frightening. The root problem however is not the manikin like blandness of certian media channels, it is the relentless slide into political and big-corporate globalism. A faceless greed-orientated urge which mobilises the far left’s pleas for unilateral pseudo egalatarianism as moral shield and banner.

In short, corporate g ...[text shortened]... nce and political autonomy. This is the centre of my stance against institutions such as the EU.
    I think that the EU needs some democratic reforms, but I've never seen you argue for them. Getting rid of the EU makes politicians less accountable, since the open debate of the European Parliament (however weak it is) is replaced by backroom deal-making. Likewise, fragmenting the U.K. into smaller fiefs would not boost accountability of politicians in a meaningful sense.
  12. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 08:501 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    I think that the EU needs some democratic reforms, but I've never seen you argue for them. Getting rid of the EU makes politicians less accountable, since the open debate of the European Parliament (however weak it is) is replaced by backroom deal-making. Likewise, fragmenting the U.K. into smaller fiefs would not boost accountability of politicians in a meaningful sense.
    I’m not interested in EU reform, which is why you wouldn’t have seen me argue for them. How you think political independence from the EU drives less accountability is a face value astonishing, but then again,
    nothing you say to defend your naive and frankly ludicrous ideology surprises me.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 09:13
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’m not interested in EU reform, which is why you wouldn’t have seen me argue for them. How you think political independence from the EU drives less accountability is a face value astonishing, but then again,
    nothing you say to defend your naive and frankly ludicrous ideology surprises me.
    It is dishonest of you to pretend you care about "accountability" when your qualms with the EU are purely of a nationalist nature.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 09:37
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    It is dishonest of you to pretend you care about "accountability" when your qualms with the EU are purely of a nationalist nature.
    Why is it dishonest? The EU is rotten to the core and has been for a long time. Ask yourself: who is the person running the EU? Is it the member states? The parliament (farcical)?

No, the EU is run by Martin Selmayr. He's been puppeteering that blithering drunk oaf Jean-Claude Juncker for years now. What mechanism do I have to remove Mr Selmayr (or any other fanatical federalist civil servants who seem to have huge influence over the EU and who waste huge sums of taxpayers money on their fat pensions)? That seems like a lack of accountability to me.

Whinging about nationalism can't hide that the EU is an economic ruin whose days are numbered.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 09:40
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    D can you define: 'Far Right' versus 'Right'
    Is there some kind of scale with recognised characteristics that puts a person on one side of the line or the other. Please, you should refrain from using your dream feeling projections i.e. racists that have shown no signs of racism, do not think of themselves as racists, have given no indication of their own ...[text shortened]... eing overworked to the point of meaninglessness the same way you've done with the word 'racist'.
    The term "far right" is universally used to refer to fascist organizations and groups similar to them. Specifically, it is never used to refer to right wing Libertarians.