Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 05 Dec '10 22:07
    In my own case it was just over a decade ago when my brother began to sound different on the phone. He lived back East and my parents and I were living on the West coast and in phone calls it became apparent that my brother's voice no longer had the same tones of excitement and humor that he used to; and instead it was very flat. At the same time he began to tell us about a situation at work that just didn't seem possible; he was complaining that a group of fellow workers were conspiring to get him.

    My brother was fresh out of college and was starting in a Sales job at a fast growing computer company and said that there was jealousy by the other salespeople there because many of them didn't have a college degree and that he was on the "fast track". Then he started telling us that he wasn't feeling very good and that he thought that one of these scheming co-workers had stuck him with a needle with some unknown drug so as to take him out of competition for the top jobs in the company. He also said he felt strange, and didn't have much energy and couldn't concentrate.

    Obviously this whole story seemed very unbelievable and we sensed something was wrong but had no clue as to what it could be. We recommended that my brother quit his job and look for something else - as we began to wonder if he had a "mental breakdown" and would get better once out of the stressful job situation. A month or two after he quit his job he suddenly began calling me from payphones because he thought that people were bugging his phone and that famous business people in the country were trying to get his new business ideas. This was so "far out" as to be entirely unbelieveable and we suddenly realized that something was very clearly and seriously wrong - what exactly that was took us another 5 years to find out definitively, which is the saddest part. We went through a number psychiatrists and psychologists who thought he was fine or only a little paranoid (he always seemed to pull together enough to present a reasonable front to the psychiatrists but we knew the old John, and something was still definitely wrong - but you keep hoping that they are right and that he just needed a few months to get back on his feet).

    My recommendation to people who are either wondering if they have schizophrenia or wondering if a friend or loved one has schizophrenia - is to first contact talk with people in the schizophrenia.com discussion areas, or contact the Local NAMI (in the USA), or Schizophrenia Society (in Canada), and visit one of their meetings to talk with other parents or family members and get a recommended psychiatrist from them who is experienced with schizophrenia. I think one of our key problems was that we didn't do this in the early days of my brother's illness (though misdiagnosis sounds very common in schizophrenia cases) - and because of this we may have missed the opportunity to get treatment. This lack of treatment during the early years of the illness, research now suggests, could have been a key factor in his ultimately poor recovery and suicide.

    After a few meetings with psychiatrists - and no improvement in my brother's condition - he became disillusioned with the medical profession and would no longer see doctors. It took us almost 6 years until he then degenerated to the state where he could he had become so delusional that he had to be hospitalized. If we had gotten him medication much earlier I think he would still be alive today.
  2. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    05 Dec '10 22:21
    still no chess moves?

    3a
  3. 05 Dec '10 22:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    still no chess moves?

    3a
    I made plenty of moves in my other cars. 3a is crap out move for mods who use cheaters to justify their ends. Press the button cause they can't handle it and then throw you into the pile of cheaters so they don't have to deal with it.
  4. 05 Dec '10 22:44
    Originally posted by Halelujah
    In my own case it was just over a decade ago when my brother began to sound different on the phone. He lived back East and my parents and I were living on the West coast and in phone calls it became apparent that my brother's voice no longer had the same tones of excitement and humor that he used to; and instead it was very flat. At the same time he began ...[text shortened]... we had gotten him medication much earlier I think he would still be alive today.
    i don't understand why it took so long to diagnose, from your description the symptoms are clearly discernible. Just one point, schizophrenia depending on its degree of severity is rarely cured, the symptoms are merely arrested, although there have been great strides in the development of certain anti-psychotics which are able to target a specific part of the mind rather than the whole.
  5. 05 Dec '10 22:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i don't understand why it took so long to diagnose, from your description the symptoms are clearly discernible. Just one point, schizophrenia depending on its degree of severity is rarely cured, the symptoms are merely arrested, although there have been great strides in the development of certain anti-psychotics which are able to target a specific part of the mind rather than the whole.
    It's a cut and paste although I am diagnosed with scitzophrenia. It took about 3 years from the time of diagnosis for someone to tell me I had been diagnosed and they have given me no help with what it is apart from take your injections and get out of your room and off your computer. Im on risperadone. I don't believe them but under the mental health act I am forced to go on the medication. It suxs.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    05 Dec '10 23:00
    The medications are very important. There are pills for the people I know. See if you can get some of those if you don't like injections.
  7. 05 Dec '10 23:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The medications are very important. There are pills for the people I know. See if you can get some of those if you don't like injections.
    I hate pills more. I was on olanzapine pills before and all I did was sleep. I hate either as I was already severly fatigued after getting knocked out in the police station 2001. Thats when I lost my job, my house, my gf, my cat dog everything. I don't believe I have scitzophrenia but a brain injury. Medication don't change anything but knock me out.
  8. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    05 Dec '10 23:20 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i don't understand why it took so long to diagnose, from your description the symptoms are clearly discernible. Just one point, schizophrenia depending on its degree of severity is rarely cured, the symptoms are merely arrested, although there have been great strides in the development of certain anti-psychotics which are able to target a specific part of the mind rather than the whole.
    Just as a side note, cannot 'schizoid tendencies' be confused with schizophrenia itself ...are we talking drugs masking a more, or less I suppose, 'consuming' condition IF it's not been correctly diagnosed or the immediate surrounding conditions don't make it worse ( life in general, happiness, sadness etc ) ? Reminds me of John Nash, the maths genius chap, that's all, and his diagnosis..his insistance upon schizophrenia not being called properly and being confused with more pertinent. He wrote books on it also..
  9. 05 Dec '10 23:26
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Just as a side note, cannot 'schizoid tendencies' be confused with schizophrenia itself ...are we talking drugs masking a more 'consuming' condition IF it's not been correctly diagnosed ? Reminds me of John Nash ( the maths genius chap ), that's all, and his diagnosis..his insistance upon schizophrenia not being called properly.
    Which would be evident in a brain injury while losing everything.
  10. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    05 Dec '10 23:40
    A brain injury may induce all manner of mental health disturbances...a CAT scan would show any trauma, I'm guessing...
  11. 05 Dec '10 23:50 / 2 edits
    I went for CT and MRI scans a year or so after but nothing showed up. And then at the time I was put into mental health I had managed to get a series of appointments with the top neuropsychologist?? in our country who conducted some tests on me. He diagnosed me with a brain injury but also depression and wanted to put me onto medication that people take for Parkinsons disease. Mental health took over against his advise of their medication and I've been a scitzophrenic ever since.
  12. 06 Dec '10 04:02
    From what I've read these drugs can be prescribed to people with brain injuries although one may not prescribe them if suffering severe fatigue.
  13. 06 Dec '10 05:36 / 1 edit
    I had a roommate in 1973 that I had known back to 65 or so, that went between one evening on acid or some other drug yes while he was my roommate, and being a Jesus freak the next day. Yeah what I saw, now looking back, was schizophenia. I tell you though that the jesus cultists were just as destructive.

    His name was Mark and one evening he ran out of the apartment and we lost him. Mark jumped off the bank of the Mississippi River and froze to depth hanging on to a branch or something from the bank.

    i saw early signs, late signs, and sometimes you just lose them.
  14. 06 Dec '10 05:43
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I had a roommate in 1973 that I had known back to 65 or so, that went between one evening on acid or some other drug yes while he was my roommate, and being a Jesus freak the next day. Yeah what I saw, now looking back, was schizophenia. I tell you though that the jesus cultists were just as destructive.

    His name was Mark and one evening he ran out of ...[text shortened]... or something from the bank.

    i saw early signs, late signs, and sometimes you just lose them.
    The Mississippi River up in the Minnesota end is not much bigger than a large creek.
  15. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    06 Dec '10 06:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Halelujah
    I went for CT and MRI scans a year or so after but nothing showed up. And then at the time I was put into mental health I had managed to get a series of appointments with the top neuropsychologist?? in our country who conducted some tests on me. He diagnosed me with a brain injury but also depression and wanted to put me onto medication that people take fo ...[text shortened]... alth took over against his advise of their medication and I've been a scitzophrenic ever since.
    there's a whole new range of anti-psychotics that treat everything from bi-polar disorder to anxiety to schizophrenia depending on the dosage taken. With trade names like Abilify and Seroquel, they are low impact on the body compared to some of the older formulations. Less drowsiness, can also suppress appetite.

    Though the old maxim applies, if it aint broke don't fix it. The fact that you can talk about it suggests you have some insight into how this condition affects you. If your other meds work.....