Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Jun '09 12:40
    Hey guys and gals out there. I find it very difficult to stay on subject with the other threads. If I see a shinny thing in someones comments I am off chaseing it. I noticed I am not alone in this. What if we use this thread to come back to for arguments off subject, and insults? I see it as pure heaven. We have something here that we can vent on, that making a new thread for is unjustified. What do you say? Shall we use it?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Jun '09 12:57
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Hey guys and gals out there. I find it very difficult to stay on subject with the other threads. If I see a shinny thing in someones comments I am off chaseing it. I noticed I am not alone in this. What if we use this thread to come back to for arguments off subject, and insults? I see it as pure heaven. We have something here that we can vent on, that making a new thread for is unjustified. What do you say? Shall we use it?
    Screw you.

How's that?
  3. 27 Jun '09 12:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Screw you.

How's that?
    This is working just fine.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 13:00
    Apparently I am a "proven" liar. But the people who say so are never specific. Are they lying do you think?
  5. 27 Jun '09 13:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Apparently I am a "proven" liar. But the people who say so are never specific. Are they lying do you think?
    I haven't been able to figure that out yet. I will say that once you get stuck on something you think someone is saying, even if it isn't what they are saying you have a hard time shakeing loose from it. It looks intentional.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 13:10
    I will say that once you get stuck on something you think someone is saying, even if it isn't what they are saying you have a hard time shakeing loose from it. It looks intentional.
    Oh that? Yes. That's intentional. You see, people try to wriggle out of what they've said all the time. They say stuff. They get called on it. They talk about how their words were "twisted". They talk about how that wasn't what they meant. And yet, more often than not, it is what they said. And what they said has a meaning. And when the meaning is pointed out to them, all of a sudden it's "you're a proven liar!" and the like. The fact that certain posters are fairly incoherent doesn't hep either.
  7. 27 Jun '09 13:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh that? Yes. [b]That's intentional. You see, people try to wriggle out of what they've said all the time. They say stuff. They get called on it. They talk about how their words were "twisted". They talk about how that wasn't what they meant. And yet, more often than not, it is what they said. And what they said has a meaning. And when the mean ...[text shortened]... and the like. The fact that certain posters are fairly incoherent doesn't hep either.[/b]
    I am not ignoring you on this point. I just want others to respond to this so this thread will be self sustaining. If they have an issue with what you are saying then they should use this thread. You have twisted what I have said before.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 13:18
    I am not ignoring you on this point. I just want others to respond to this so this thread will be self sustaining. If they have an issue with what you are saying then they should use this thread. You have twisted what I have said before.
    Much of what you say is utterly twisted before I get anywhere near it.
  9. 27 Jun '09 13:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Much of what you say is utterly twisted before I get anywhere near it.
    You keep twisting it the wrong direction though
  10. 27 Jun '09 13:19
    one small example ,of many, of a person being proven a liar.

A) They claim to be a woman.
    B) They claim to be a man.

One of those statements is a lie,thus the speaker is a liar.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jun '09 13:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    one small example ,of many, of a person being proven a liar.

A) They claim to be a woman.
    B) They claim to be a man.

One of those statements is a lie,thus the speaker is a liar.
    Oh OK.

So if someone says... there was rabi, an imam and a catholic priest in a brothel waiting room... when, in actual fact, there wasn't, the person who said that would be a "proven liar", would they?

It's true, man, I could NOT walk a mile in your shoes.
  12. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    27 Jun '09 14:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's true, man, I could NOT walk a mile in your shoes.
    ....at least you're not spanking a mule till it spews.....
  13. 27 Jun '09 15:02
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ....at least you're not spanking a mule till it spews.....
    I find that offensive. Mule spankers have feelings too you know.
  14. 27 Jun '09 15:08 / 2 edits
    "The UK's getting more "Americanized" per Maggie's dream. Congratulations. "

"Still the figures I see says the average worker in the UK still gets something like 28 days of annual vacation compared to 12-14 in the US. So they still have a lot of "catching up" to do."

No 1 maurauder, I agree with you on this point. It is not bellyaching as FMF will no doubt say. Todays technology in agriculture and industry makes one wonder why people work so hard with little to show for it. It is like we are in some kind of new slavery. Debt slavery.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jun '09 02:45 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think you lie, so far as it goes.

What I do think you do is lie in wait for people whom you'd like to show up to say something completely innocuous that you can pounce on. Then, you take great delight in stretching the meanings of their points to the extent necessary for your aims and then tearing them apart, limb from limb.

You use your considerable oratory and vocabulary skills, not to shore up your points or to really try to convince anyone of anything, but to do your utmost to embarrass your target, whomever that may be at the moment. You generally do so when your target has posted something half in jest or completely tangential, so that you can have the most carelessly put forth target to attack. If you insult someone or offend them or make them feel bad in the process, you couldn't care less.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but to me it seems like a possibly narcissistic desire to extol your own self and achieve self-aggrandizement by proving that you can defeat another in argument by making that person look bad. The grounds or issues are virtually irrelevant in many cases.

Time for a little introspection:

There are at least a half dozen regular posters that are nastier than you are from a language and ad hominem attack perspective. You are clearly among the more intelligent posters here. Your politics are left wing to be sure, but certainly not the most extreme on the board (scherzo makes you look like a Zionist ditto-head- no offense intended to either of you; then again, scherzo does that to most people ). So, why do you suppose it is that you can't avoid getting into these bloody knock-down, drag 'em out fights every so often?

I'm not talking about with whodey or Generallissimo or utherpendragon. Your conflicts with them might be explainable by political differences. But, how about your recent blood feuds with Scriabin and No1Maurauder? Both of them are proudly left wing politically. Both of them are probably pretty similar politically to you in many ways. And, yet they've both attacked you in the last few weeks with more vitriol than Generalissimo ever has.

Is it them? Are they crazy? Are all the people that you've gotten into these nasty fights with crazy?

Bash me if you like. I'm ready. But maybe, just maybe, something of what I say will seep in at some level and a new, kinder, gentler FMF will be born from the ashes of the phoenix once roasted by our DC lawyer for 6 straight pages on one thread.

Okay, so I suck at metaphors. But, to borrow a phrase from the most spectacular GOP Presidential candidate flameout in history, in your heart, you know I'm right.