Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:12
    A bummer:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Andraya Yearwood hears the comments, usually from adults and usually not to her face.

She shouldn’t be running, they say, not against girls.

Yearwood, a 17-year-old junior at Cromwell High School, is one of two transgender high school sprinters in Connecticut, transitioning to female.

She recently finished second in the 55-meter dash at the state open indoor track championships. The winner, Terry Miller of Bloomfield High, is also transgender and set a girls state indoor record of 6.95 seconds. Yearwood finished in 7.01 seconds and the third-place competitor, who is not transgender, finished in 7.23 seconds.

Miller and Yearwood also topped the 100-meter state championships last year, and Miller won the 300 this season.

Critics say their gender identity amounts to an unfair advantage, expressing a familiar argument in a complex debate for transgender athletes as they break barriers across sports around the world from high school to the pros.

“I have learned a lot about myself and about other people through this transition. I always try to focus most on all of the positive encouragement that I have received from family, friends and supporters,” Yearwood said. “I use the negativity to fuel myself to run faster.”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/24/terry-miller-andraya-yearwood-transgender-sprinter/

I wonder what will happen when this stuff starts to really hit international athletics.

How many countries are really going to tolerate this..? You'd imagine there'd be some backlash.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:212 edits
    @philokalia said
    A bummer:

[quote] NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Andraya Yearwood hears the comments, usually from adults and usually not to her face.

She shouldn’t be running, they say, not against girls.

Yearwood, a 17-year-old junior at Cromwell High School, is one of two transgender high school sprinters in Connecticut, transitioning to female.

She recently finished second in the 55-m ...[text shortened]...

How many countries are really going to tolerate this..? You'd imagine there'd be some backlash.
    It's well-known that, following the final surgery, transgender women typically run
    about 11% slower than they did before (as men) they began their transitions.
    That's on account of a transgender woman athlete's lower testosterone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/27/female-athletes-with-naturally-high-testosterone-levels-face-hurdles-under-new-iaaf-rules/?utm_term=.875b415d0593

"Female athletes with naturally high testosterone levels face hurdles under new IAAF rules"

"Elite female track and field athletes, who naturally produce above-normal amounts
    of testosterone, received disheartening news Thursday. To be eligible to race in
    future international competitions, they could be forced to take medication to lower
    their testosterone levels or, if they don’t want to alter their body’s chemistry,
    compete against men."

"The rules, which are expected to take effect Nov. 1, require athletes to lower and
    maintain their testosterone levels to no more than 5 nanomoles per liter of blood,
    the IAAF said. That’s half the amount previously allowed.

The alternatives for female athletes who choose not to lower their testosterone
    levels include competing against men, being restricted to the national stage,
    switching to shorter or longer distances, or racing in events for intersex athletes
    (provided that category is available), the statement said."

There should be no objection to allowing transgender women with officially
    acceptable levels of testosterone to compete with cisgender women.

By the way, I have no objection to transgender women participating in women's chess.
    As far as I know, testosterone is not a performance-enhancing drug for chess.
  3. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    25 Feb '19 23:36
    Here's the thing, though:

A man's leg is about 80 percent muscle, compared with about 60 percent muscle in a woman's leg, Kraus said. That extra muscle can help men run faster, she said. Also, men's muscles tend to have larger fast-twitch muscle fibers, which help with sprinting, than women do, Kraus said.

https://www.livescience.com/59289-why-men-run-faster-than-women.html

Does removing your testes reduce the muscle tissue in your legs?

Does it erase going through puberty as a male, and even just living as a boy, and having elevated levels of testosterone that contribute to higher muscular development?

Moreover, what percentage of the population are women? Something like 50%. What percentage of the population are transgender? That number is miniscule, and the number that call themselves women would be a smaller number still.

Yet, suddenly we are reading frequently about transgender athletes winning women's divisions.

And yes, thanks for the article on the international womens' sports. I had seen something on it recently concerning the South African runner who has super elevated testosterone for a woman.

Nonetheless, imagine a man who trained for his first 20 years as a man suddenly deciding to "transition" and artificially lower his testosterone and perform surgeries and then compete as a woman 3-4 years later in powerlifting. Can you honestly say that this makes for fair competition with women athletes?
  4. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 00:06
    I don't like it and I think it is unfair. This coming from a liberal. If you question that as I do, just ask whoedy or average joe etc.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 00:10
    @philokalia said
    Here's the thing, though:

A man's leg is about 80 percent muscle, compared with about 60 percent muscle in a woman's leg, Kraus said. That extra muscle can help men run faster, she said. Also, men's muscles tend to have larger fast-twitch muscle fibers, which help with sprinting, than women do, Kraus said.

https://www.livescience.com/59289-why-men-run ...[text shortened]... ater in powerlifting. Can you honestly say that this makes for fair competition with women athletes?
    First of all, let's keep to the context of running (in the original post).

Transgender athletes are a small sample size. Nonetheless, at least a few transgender
    women runners have been studied in following how their performance changed
    from before and after their transitions. On average, they ran about 11% slower.

One transgender woman attested that she trained at least as hard as she had before her transition.
    She ran with the same technique that she had used when competing with men.
    So she trained as hard and ran in the same style. She simply ran slower.
    And there was nothing that could she do about it (short of using PEDs).
  6. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 14:43
    @kingdavid403 said
    I don't like it and I think it is unfair. This coming from a liberal. If you question that as I do, just ask whoedy or average joe etc.
    Of course it is not fair. I agree with KingDavid, help me Rhonda! This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 14:47
    @duchess64 said
    First of all, let's keep to the context of running (in the original post).

Transgender athletes are a small sample size. Nonetheless, at least a few transgender
    women runners have been studied in following how their performance changed
    from before and after their transitions. On average, they ran about 11% slower.

One transgender woman attested that she trained a ...[text shortened]... le. She simply ran slower.
    And there was nothing that could she do about it (short of using PEDs).
    being liberal sure puts you in some very awkward situations trying to defend it doesn't it? LOL
  8. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    26 Feb '19 15:23
    @averagejoe1 said
    Of course it is not fair. I agree with KingDavid, help me Rhonda! This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.
    I agree with KingDavid, help me Rhonda! This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.
    lol, 😉