Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 10:56
    Republicans would be well advised to vote to send Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. If they do not, they not only run the risk of looking like hypocrites in not backing a judge they previously supported, but that Bernie or Hillary will nominate a judge even more liberal than Garland. This could very well happen, since Trump is now behind both Clinton and Sanders in the polls, and there is a decent chance the Democrats will retake control of the Senate this fall. Cut your losses republicans, and vote to confirm judge Garland now...while you have the chance.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 14:58
    Originally posted by bill718
    Republicans would be well advised to vote to send Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. If they do not, they not only run the risk of looking like hypocrites in not backing a judge they previously supported, but that Bernie or Hillary will nominate a judge even more liberal than Garland. This could very well happen, since Trump is now behind both Clinton and ...[text shortened]... Cut your losses republicans, and vote to confirm judge Garland now...while you have the chance.
    the RISK of looking like hypocrites? They passed that redline years ago.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 15:05
    Republicans would be well advised to vote to send Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. If they do not, they not only run the risk of looking like hypocrites in not backing a judge they previously supported, but that Bernie or Hillary will nominate a judge even more liberal than Garland. This could very well happen, since Trump is now behind both Clinton and ...[text shortened]... Cut your losses republicans, and vote to confirm judge Garland now...while you have the chance.
    I'm sure they need your advice, and it is given to help them.
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 15:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'm sure they need your advice, and it is given to help them.
    Judging by how the two GOP frontrunners are doing, maybe they do need my advice. 😀
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 15:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    the RISK of looking like hypocrites? They passed that redline years ago.
    Agreed...but I was trying to be polite.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 15:33
    Judging by how the two GOP frontrunners are doing, maybe they do need my advice. 😀
    I'm pretty certain that whatever they say or do, your assessment will not change.

Repeat this, and remember it. Conservatives will not win trying to pretend to be liberal. Genuine liberals will always out-liberal them. It'll be a cold day in a very hot place before you vote for anyone from the GOP, no matter what they say. 😀
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:043 edits
    I'm pretty certain that whatever they say or do, your assessment will not change.

Repeat this, and remember it. Conservatives will not win trying to pretend to be liberal. Genuine liberals will always out-liberal them. It'll be a cold day in a very hot place before you vote for anyone from the GOP, no matter what they say. 😀
    Yes, this is very true. I believe the conservative agenda is self defeating, and I will not vote republican. By selling people on the old Reagan era "trickle down" economic theory, the GOP has convinced many of their own if we continue to enrich the rich, through tax cuts, tax loopholes, and ever more corporate welfare money, some day it will trickle down to the working class. Today the richest 1% own half this country's wealth. I was in my 20's during the Reagan years, and the economy was no better in the 80's than it is now. We've been waiting decades for it to trickle down, so....when is this golden event going to occur?
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:12
    Yes, this is very true. I believe the conservative agenda is self defeating, and I will not vote republican. By selling people on the old Reagan era "trickle down" economic theory, the GOP has convinced many of their own if we continue to enrich the rich, some day it will trickle down to the working class. Today the richest 1% own half this country's wealth. ...[text shortened]... 've been waiting decades for it to trickle down, so....when is this golden event going to occur?
    The problem, bill, is that you are waiting for "the economy" as defined by liberals to improve, which will never happen except if they are in charge.

Is the "economy" better for you, than it was years ago? If it is, be happy. My economy is far better, and I only worry about that. The rest is too esoteric to try to interpret. Leave that to the talking heads on TV, and remember that they are wrong more than they are right.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:19
    The problem, bill, is that you are waiting for "the economy" as defined by liberals to improve, which will never happen except if they are in charge.

Is the "economy" better for you, than it was years ago? If it is, be happy. My economy is far better, and I only worry about that. The rest is too esoteric to try to interpret. Leave that to the talking heads on TV, and remember that they are wrong more than they are right.
    That's cute little response Norm, but you're still not answering my question. This has nothing to do with the Liberals. All I've heard from Republicans for decades is corporate America needs tax cuts, and less government interference and they'll be prosperity for all. So, now that the richest 1% have gotten richer than they've ever been before....when is it going to trickle down???
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:20
    Yes, this is very true. I believe the conservative agenda is self defeating, and I will not vote republican. By selling people on the old Reagan era "trickle down" economic theory, the GOP has convinced many of their own if we continue to enrich the rich, through tax cuts, tax loopholes, and ever more corporate welfare money, some day it will trickle down to ...[text shortened]... 've been waiting decades for it to trickle down, so....when is this golden event going to occur?
    It isn't a golden event! It is happening as we speak. Are you doing better? If not, you aren't trying. There have always been the rich, and the poor. That will not end outside of communism, and then everyone is poor.
  11. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:262 edits
    It isn't a golden event! It is happening as we speak. Are you doing better? If not, you aren't trying. There have always been the rich, and the poor. That will not end outside of communism, and then everyone is poor.
    It's happening as we speak??? In the 1980's the Fortune 500 employed 12% of Americans, in 2015 the Fortune 500 employed 8% of Americans. It looks like it's still trickling UP to me. I see no mass hirings by the 1%. It's small and medium sized businesses like mine that are doing the hiring. It's seems like there are some very large holes in your argument Norm....
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:391 edit
    That's cute little response Norm, but you're still not answering my question. This has nothing to do with the Liberals. All I've heard from Republicans for decades is corporate America needs tax cuts, and less government interference and they'll be prosperity for all. So, now that the richest 1% have gotten richer than they've ever been before....when is it going to trickle down???
    Be realistic bill. Anti corporate rhetoric gets you what? Higher prices? Unavailable products? What do you get out of revenge against corporations? You may even work for one. You certainly are enabled to invest in one or many.

Think about this. Corporations pay taxes, and pass the costs on to you. Actually corporations don't pay taxes, people do, you and me.

It is not likely that rich getting richer is going to change, other than a State takeover of all assets, such as the Soviet takeover of Russia.

There are two ways of earning money. You work for it, or your money works for it. You can combine the two.

There is one way of becoming rich, which is to save and invest part of your earnings. Let your money work for you.

I have no favoritism for corporations, nor do I have envy of them. If a corporation produces a better good or service, I'll buy it. If that better widget comes from a sole proprietor, I'll buy it from him.

Thing is, that taxing corporations simply increases prices, and punishes those who invest.

I suspect that if you are truthful, you will see a whole lot of trickling down going on.
  13. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 16:49
    Be realistic bill. Anti corporate rhetoric gets you what? Higher prices? Unavailable products? What do you get out of revenge against corporations? You may even work for one. You certainly are enabled to invest in one or many.

Think about this. Corporations pay taxes, and pass the costs on to you. Actually corporations don't pay taxes, people ...[text shortened]... est.

I suspect that if you are truthful, you will see a whole lot of trickling down going on.
    I may even work for a corporation Norm? I own my own company. And....I'm still waiting for an answer....
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 17:12
    I may even work for a corporation Norm? I own my own company. And....I'm still waiting for an answer....
    Where I live, a huge portion of workers are employed by the big three auto makers. They are well paid, get great health care insurance, and have among the most secure positions in the world. That's a lot of trickling down. Compare that to the trickling up of those around Detroit that are dependent on welfare, many of them permanently, and generationally.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Mar '16 17:12
    You're part of the solution.