Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:13
    @no1marauder said
    Renters who get an increase in income might be more willing and able to seek to buy houses which would probably be a good thing since the US housing market didn't do particularly well last year.
    Nah, the pressure on housing prices for affordable homes is the same, obviously. To make housing affordable for lower incomes, you have to build social housing or subsidize private rental housing (the latter increases rents even further). People with low incomes in Nordic countries are exponentially better off than those in the U.S. but they still can't afford to buy private homes or build capital.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:13
    @averagejoe1 said
    This is not 1800 and there is no depression. Whew.

Capitalist 'gods' hire people, who, by working at the business of the capital god, who took a risk and built the thing, will be able to actually enjoy the concept of increasing his net worth, saving money, supporting his family, and, thanks to that capitalist, will be able to go out and START his OWN business,,,,,and hire people!

Help me Rhonda. Do y'all a default in your brains that says ignore logic?
    Your idea that the great mass of the People would be impoverished and clueless if not for the Great Rich Men, is offensive and ridiculous no matter how many times you slavishly repeat it.

Economic systems are not self-regulating and long experience has shown that capitalism in particular generates a host of unpleasant externalities (like pollution, mass poverty, etc. etc.) if not restrained by government (naturally a democratic one).
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:20
    @kazetnagorra said
    Nah, the pressure on housing prices for affordable homes is the same, obviously. To make housing affordable for lower incomes, you have to build social housing or subsidize private rental housing (the latter increases rents even further). People with low incomes in Nordic countries are exponentially better off than those in the U.S. but they still can't afford to buy private homes or build capital.
    How can it be the "same"? Do you want me to send you to a simple supply and demand model? Your own home is a desired item in the US and if people have more money they will use it to buy one. One doesn't need the entire sale price up front, ya know - there are these things called "mortgages" which people able to afford a higher down payment and having a better debt to income ratio find easier to get.

Home ownership in all the Nordic countries, esp. Norway, is higher than in the US. https://www.norwegianamerican.com/business/the-cost-of-living-home-ownership-is-high-in-norway/
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:24
    @no1marauder said
    Do tell, how is the present level of national debt negatively impacting us? What is your solution for dealing with these negative effects?

While you're at it maybe you could spell out your program to deal with the negative effects of climate change and to reduce carbon emissions that are contributing to it.
    How does debt negatively impact a country?

Well there are a whole host of examples. Perhaps the US is immune to it.

I marvel at how they can keep inflation down with such towering amounts of debt. I'll be honest, I have no idea how they do it.

So perhaps their magical powers will continue to allow the US to go hundreds of trillions of dollars in debt. I sure hope so cuz that is where we are headed.

As for the Green Deal, I hear that AOC wants to ban such things as cows and air travel.

Any truth to that?
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 15:37
    @whodey said

I marvel at how they can keep inflation down with such towering amounts of debt. I'll be honest, I have no idea how they do it.

So perhaps their magical powers will continue to allow the US to go hundreds of trillions of dollars in debt. I sure hope s ...[text shortened]... e Green Deal, I hear that AOC wants to ban such things as cows and air travel.

Any truth to that?
    So you have no ideas at all. Thanks for that.

No, there is no truth, as you surely know, to the idea that AOC wants to ban cows and air travel.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 16:42
    @no1marauder said
    So you have no ideas at all. Thanks for that.

No, there is no truth, as you surely know, to the idea that AOC wants to ban cows and air travel.
    Then what is the truth regarding the national debt? Is there no limit? How much is too much since you pretend to know.

Also, what will she do in term so of air travel and cows then?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 16:50
    @whodey said

So perhaps their magical powers will continue to allow the US to go hundreds of trillions of dollars in debt. I sure hope s ...[text shortened]... e Green Deal, I hear that AOC wants to ban such things as cows and air travel.

Any truth to that?
    I didn't realize it was possible for someone to be stupid and gullible enough to believe that anyone would want to ban cows and air travel.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 16:53
    @no1marauder said
    How can it be the "same"? Do you want me to send you to a simple supply and demand model? Your own home is a desired item in the US and if people have more money they will use it to buy one. One doesn't need the entire sale price up front, ya know - there are these things called "mortgages" which people able to afford a higher down payment and having a better debt to inco ...[text shortened]... US. https://www.norwegianamerican.com/business/the-cost-of-living-home-ownership-is-high-in-norway/
    The point is that housing and rent prices are driven primarily by people's ability to pay for one (rather than by the cost of constructing and maintaining homes). So, yes, reducing income inequality will help, but much of it is offset by increases in rent and property prices.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:25
    @whodey said
    Then what is the truth regarding the national debt? Is there no limit? How much is too much since you pretend to know.

Also, what will she do in term so of air travel and cows then?
    Please answer my questions and describe what "negative effects" the present debt is having and what steps you would take to eliminate and/or reduce these "negative effects".

I have no idea what level of debt is "too much" as you haven't specified what it would be "too much" for. In 1946, the US had a debt level 119% of yearly GDP which is higher than the 107% now. https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/debt_deficit_history

Somehow the country survived.

I realize that all the right wing outlets are screaming the line you keep repeating, but that doesn't make it true. The Green New Deal supports the "elimination of pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agriculture sector as much as is technologically feasible https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=5729033-Green-New-Deal-FINAL Section (G)

So, no it is not a call to eliminate cows. Similar language is used in the transportation section (H).

The goal is net zero emissions which does not mean that we must achieve the impossible i.e. release NO pollution and greenhouse gas emissions BUT:

We do this by reducing the volume of greenhouse gas emissions that human activity releases into the atmosphere until our total output is no greater than the emissions we remove, through activities like planting carbon forests, reducing deforestation and using technologies like carbon capture and storage. So no more goes out than goes in = net zero.

https://www.generationyes.com.au/why_net_zero

That is a feasible, if difficult, goal which doesn't mean what you and Tucker Carlson think it does.
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:331 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    The point is that housing and rent prices are driven primarily by people's ability to pay for one (rather than by the cost of constructing and maintaining homes). So, yes, reducing income inequality will help, but much of it is offset by increases in rent and property prices.
    That assumes that there is no present slack in the market and that housing supply would remain static even with increased demand. The first is not true ("Housing units that are considered temporarily vacant—that are neither on the market, being held for future occupancy, or being used seasonally—have increased by more than 50 percent, from 3.7 million in 2005 to 5.8 million in 2016" https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/07/vacancy-americas-other-housing-crisis/565901/" ) and the second is highly unlikely.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:36
    @kazetnagorra said
    I didn't realize it was possible for someone to be stupid and gullible enough to believe that anyone would want to ban cows and air travel.
    Google "aoc wants to ban air travel and cows".

Be reminded once more of the folly of Man.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:43
    @kazetnagorra said
    Well, when AOC says stupid stuff like, "I want to make the Electoral college free for everyone", I put nothing past her.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:45
    @no1marauder said
    Please answer my questions and describe what "negative effects" the present debt is having and what steps you would take to eliminate and/or reduce these "negative effects".

I have no idea what level of debt is "too much" as you haven't specified what it would be "too much" for. In 1946, the US had a debt level 119% of yearly GDP which is higher than the 107% now. htt ...[text shortened]... That is a feasible, if difficult, goal which doesn't mean what you and Tucker Carlson think it does.
    So for the record, no amount of debt is too much in your opinion?

Why not pay off everyone's debt then?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 17:55
    @whodey said
    Well, when AOC says stupid stuff like, "I want to make the Electoral college free for everyone", I put nothing past her.
    Huh, that's odd. I don't get any hits on Google for that quote.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Feb '19 18:42
    @whodey said
    So for the record, no amount of debt is too much in your opinion?

Why not pay off everyone's debt then?
    Non sequitur.

I asked you to specify "too much" for ....................................... what?

Are you ever going to meaningfully respond to this and my other questions?