Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Jan '11 16:28
    Interesting article:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748703808704576062064022541024.html

Hiring a veterinarian to euthanize and dispose of a horse can cost hundreds of dollars. Horse-rescue groups take in some unwanted animals, but they don't have the resources to care for them all.

"The slaughterhouses disposed of the thousands of horses abandoned or relinquished each year by owners who find them too old or temperamental to be useful or who simply can no longer afford to care for them. Now, many of those horses are sold for $10 or $20 at low-end auctions and packed on crowded trailers to be slaughtered in Mexico. Animal-welfare experts say the horses often suffer greatly on the journey. [...] Every day, I'm turning horses away. I feel like I'm playing God, because I have to pick and choose," said Whitney Wright, director of Hope for Horses, a rescue group in Asheville, N.C. She worked to shut down slaughterhouses but now would like to see a few reopen under strict guidelines for humane handling.
  2. 06 Jan '11 16:33
    Why did Congress shut down the US slaughterhouses?
  3. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Jan '11 16:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Why did Congress shut down the US slaughterhouses?
    The article says that they were pressured by animal rights groups to stop subsidizing mandatory inspections and this made most slaughterhouses insolvent.
  4. 06 Jan '11 16:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The article says that they were pressured by animal rights groups to stop subsidizing mandatory inspections and this made most slaughterhouses insolvent.
    It does indeed, why didn't Congress tell the animal rights groups to bugger off?
  5. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Jan '11 16:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It does indeed, why didn't Congress tell the animal rights groups to bugger off?
    Are you kidding me? Public pressure to cut expenditure somewhere? Done!

Now, where can we spend this money?...
  6. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    06 Jan '11 17:30
    Anyone eaten horse? The price of meat is outrageous these days - I'd be happy to buy some horse meat on the cheap. Sounds like a cross between beef and venison.

If we stop sending it all to France and have a local market maybe we can afford to treat the animals humanely. Just market it as "la viande de cheval" -- your local specialty market can charge a fortune.
  7. 06 Jan '11 17:32
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Anyone eaten horse? The price of meat is outrageous these days - I'd be happy to buy some horse meat on the cheap. Sounds like a cross between beef and venison.

If we stop sending it all to France and have a local market maybe we can afford to treat the animals humanely. Just market it as "la viande de cheval" -- your local specialty market can charge a fortune.
    more than likely, you have eaten horse meet and not even known it.
  8. 06 Jan '11 17:33

I remember eating it fairly frequently when I was younger, unfortunately supermarkets don't sell it anymore. Shame.
  9. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    06 Jan '11 17:40 / 1 edit
    When news rains, it pours:

Van full of horse meat leads to Florida arrest
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40931082/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

New push to slaughter horses for food:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40913910/ns/us_news-life/
  10. 06 Jan '11 17:42
    Where I grew up there was a very popular chineese joint w/meet balls to die for! Come to find out, the health inspectors found tons of empty dog food cans in the dumpster ( horse by-products) apparently to make the meat balls with, and shut them down.
    Is there some sort of health hazard with eating horse meat? I truly do not know.
  11. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    06 Jan '11 17:46
    When news rains, it pours:

[b]Van full of horse meat leads to Florida arrest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40931082/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

New push to slaughter horses for food:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40913910/ns/us_news-life/[/b]
    "...as he spoke at a horse slaughter summit in Las Vegas."

Mmm... Lobbies gonna lobby?
  12. 06 Jan '11 18:12
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Is there some sort of health hazard with eating horse meat? I truly do not know.
    No - there's just a taboo, left over from the time when Northern European pagans converted to Christianity. Horse flesh was consumed as part of pagan rituals, so its consumption was subsequently discouraged by the church.
  13. Standard member joneschr
    Some guy
    06 Jan '11 20:00
    more than likely, you have eaten horse meet and not even known it.
    Entirely likely, I've eaten things far less appetizing than horse meat. But if I did, I guess it was before 1998, or someone was being bad:

Evidently sale of horse meat for human consumption is actually illegal in my state (California), since 1998:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuscacalpencode598d.htm

My grand plans to open a "Mr. Ed" food chain dashed...
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Jan '11 00:39
    Where I grew up there was a very popular chineese joint w/meet balls to die for! Come to find out, the health inspectors found tons of empty dog food cans in the dumpster ( horse by-products) apparently to make the meat balls with, and shut them down.
    It seems like fraud to serve "meat balls" and not tell the customer it's horse meat. Unless stated otherwise, people assume "meat" is cow.
  15. 07 Jan '11 01:05
    Originally posted by sh76
    Unless stated otherwise, people assume "meat" is cow.
    What if it was in an Indian restaurant? Then you would have to assume that it was sheep.