Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Nov '09 15:46
    I quote Stephen Colbert: "Unplug your ears and listen."

How would it be if abortion was illegalized unless the woman's life or health was at risk? Before the leftists start yelling "traitor" and the right-wingers start cheering me on, here's the catch.

In every county, or state, there is a massive state-sponsored orphanage propped by by donations and taxes. Children whose parents cannot care for them (for whatever reason, valid or not) would be taken to these orphanages, where they would be fed and well-cared for. At the age of 10, the children would be trained to either (a) be an industrial laborer, (b) be a collective farm laborer, or (c) be a soldier. (Naturally, in my ideal world, wars would be justified by fighting capitalism or fascism and there's a Communist government set up.) At age 18, these children would be released into their services for the State, where they would continue to be cared for until age 21, at which point food and shelter depend on service to the State.

How does it sound?
  2. 07 Nov '09 16:18
    Originally posted by scherzo

How would it be if abortion was illegalized unless the woman's life or health was at risk? Before the leftists start yelling "traitor" and the right-wingers start cheering me on, here's the catch.

In every county, or state, there is a massive state-sponsored orphanage propped by by donations and t ...[text shortened]... 21, at which point food and shelter depend on service to the State.

How does it sound?
    You forgot option D which is to send them to Palestine to become human mushrooms in the streets of Israel.

Believe it or not, human beings have a worth far beyond money and warfare. Most just never realize it.
  3. 07 Nov '09 16:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    You forgot option D which is to send them to Palestine to become human mushrooms in the streets of Israel.

Believe it or not, human beings have a worth far beyond money and warfare. Most just never realize it.
    The State cannot exist without the People, but the People cannot exist without the State.
  4. 07 Nov '09 18:04

In every county, or state, there is a massive state-sponsored orphanage propped by by donations and t ...[text shortened]... 21, at which point food and shelter depend on service to the State.

How does it sound?
    you use a quote from colbert and you still want us to take you seriously?
  5. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Nov '09 18:11
    The State cannot exist without the People, but the People cannot exist without the State.
    The State may not exist without the People, but the People can do just fine without the State.
  6. 07 Nov '09 18:14
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The State may not exist without the People, but the People can do just fine without the State.
    the People can do just fine without the State.

people do just fine without law and order? really?
  7. 07 Nov '09 20:25
    Oh, yeah, that always works really well.

[sarcastic]
  8. 07 Nov '09 20:25
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    you use a quote from colbert and you still want us to take you seriously?
    You've take far funnier people seriously.
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Nov '09 22:19
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]the People can do just fine without the State.

people do just fine without law and order? really?[/b]
    People can have law and order without a State to administer them. Need I remind you of the glorious example of the Spanish anarchists who collectivized much of Catalonia during the Spanish Civil War. The people organized and ran the factories, the utilities and even organized their own militias without the need of a 'State' to govern over them. Your incredulity notwithstanding, it can be done.
  10. 08 Nov '09 01:18
    People can have law and order without a State to administer them. Need I remind you of the glorious example of the Spanish anarchists who collectivized much of Catalonia during the Spanish Civil War. The people organized and ran the factories, the utilities and even organized their own militias without the need of a 'State' to govern over them. Your incredulity notwithstanding, it can be done.
    That was, excuse me, during a civil war. Anarchism does not work when people aren't desperate.
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    08 Nov '09 01:49
    That was, excuse me, during a civil war. Anarchism does not work when people aren't desperate.
    They weren't desperate. It worked just fine. Read Orwell's Homage to Catalonia sometime. He describes it quite well.
  12. 08 Nov '09 02:34
    then what happened?
  13. 08 Nov '09 02:35

How does it sound?
    baby farms!
  14. 08 Nov '09 03:29
    What about the people who had farms and suddenly had them "collectivized" or stolen from them by anarchists? Did they consider this a glorious example, or were these farms just empty land owned by no one?
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    08 Nov '09 04:27
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    What about the people who had farms and suddenly had them "collectivized" or stolen from them by anarchists? Did they consider this a glorious example, or were these farms just empty land owned by no one?
    I suppose, ideally, those people would be so wealthy they would still be just fine financially even without all their zillions of farms. That's the image we're supposed to see when we think about these nationalization or anarchization schemes.