Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 14:29 / 3 edits
    YouTube : Bill Maher

Why is America the Republicans bitch, where only they can do things and get away with it, in a way Democrats never can. Please watch and comment.
  2. 18 Feb '17 14:35
    Originally posted by kmax87
    [youtube Bill Maher] watch?v=JFWv42U1l4A [/youtube]

Why is America the Republicans bitch, where only they can do things and get away with it, in a way Democrats never can. Please watch and comment.
    Link doesn't work. This one might:

YouTube
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 14:39
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Link doesn't work. This one might:

[youtube]JFWv42U1l4A[/youtube]
    Cheers, its good to see someone's on the ball. In the time it took me to work out its the bits after v=, you posted. It is all instant!
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 15:24 / 1 edit
    [youtube Bill Maher] JFWv42U1l4A [/youtube]

come on folks roll up to the magical r mystery tour.

YouTube : Bill Maher
  5. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    18 Feb '17 15:32
    [youtube Bill Maher] JFWv42U1l4A [/youtube]

Too much of anything (ice cream, dessert, coffee, self) is never a good thing.
    Balance is crucial to critical thinking, and, unfortunately, Bill Maher has shown very little balance over his career with respect to politics.
    He falls prey to the same trap as anyone else who 'preaches to the choir,' in that he mistakes the laughter and applause for a barometer of accuracy, yet it is clear that regardless of political leanings, the cheers of others so persuaded are inconsequential.
    The speaker of truth will realize more agitation than comfort as a response to his words.

Pandering to the crowd will eventually lead to an abandonment of one's stated values simply to keep the juice flowing in one's direction.
    For instance, Bill espouses a libertarian perspective on the issue of sexuality--- one which doesn't allow scrutiny of private matters--- and yet less than five minutes into his monologue, likens Trump and Putin's relationship to the homosexual-themed movie "Brokeback Mountain," in a dismissive sneering manner as though it's a bad thing.

Subtle, perhaps, but certainly at odds with any progressive stance he claims otherwise.
  6. 18 Feb '17 15:48
    Americans view R as the only alternative to D.

True Americans can't stomach the message from the D leadership in Washington DC.
  7. 18 Feb '17 18:08
    There is the DNC, there is the GOP, and then there is Trump.
  8. 18 Feb '17 18:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    I hope you are correct.
  9. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 23:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Too much of anything (ice cream, dessert, coffee, self) is never a good thing.
    Balance is crucial to critical thinking, and, unfortunately, Bill Maher has shown very little balance over his career with respect to politics.
    He falls prey to the same trap as anyone else who 'preaches to the choir,' in that he mistakes the laughter and applause for a barome ...[text shortened]... hing.

Subtle, perhaps, but certainly at odds with any progressive stance he claims otherwise.
    Thank-you for conwaying the question.
  10. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 23:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Americans view R as the only alternative to D.

True Americans can't stomach the message from the D leadership in Washington DC.
    Thanks for conwaying the question.
  11. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Feb '17 23:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ditto, etc, etc...
  12. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    19 Feb '17 01:25
    Thank-you for conwaying the question.
    Perhaps this will be more to your liking.
    I think Maher suffers from the same plight which plagues us all: he can only be so honest.
    Without failure, we are imperfect.
    Were he a bit closer to honest, however, his acerbic wit would be applied in all directions instead of nearly universally along party lines.
    No one party embodies all that is wrong; no one party employs crime as part of their agenda; no one party is the only source of lies; they both are.
    Maher is just another distraction in the Punch-n-Judy show, so pass the bread, please.
  13. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    19 Feb '17 02:17
    Perhaps this will be more to your liking.
    I think Maher suffers from the same plight which plagues us all: he can only be so honest.
    Without failure, we are imperfect.
    Were he a bit closer to honest, however, his acerbic wit would be applied in all directions instead of nearly universally along party lines.
    No one party embodies all that is wrong; no o ...[text shortened]... oth are.
    Maher is just another distraction in the Punch-n-Judy show, so pass the bread, please.
    I don't want pablum. Maher's piece identifies a trend that I myself, little old me, have observed in American politics. I was old enough to see the news of the unfolding Iran/Contra affair. And yet that did nothing to damage Reagan's legacy among Republicans.

So my question is, what exactly, in Maher's argument do you reject, apart from an ad hominem of his worldview.
  14. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    19 Feb '17 02:32
    I don't want pablum. Maher's piece identifies a trend that I myself, little old me, have observed in American politics. I was old enough to see the news of the unfolding Iran/Contra affair. And yet that did nothing to damage Reagan's legacy among Republicans.

So my question is, what exactly, in Maher's argument do you reject, apart from an ad hominem of his worldview.
    They are all crooks in varying degrees, all liars in varying degrees.
    Making a piece which describes the shortcomings of the other (thus inferring strength on the part of party not under 'scrutiny' at the moment) pointing out the obvious sin, while being a sinner of the same nature is childish, retrograde.
    Actual crimes committed by rank and file career politicians along both sides of the aisle is how America does business.
    Any reasonable person would insist that commission of crime is warrant to remove from office and prosecute.
    The media plays it like politics as usual.
  15. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    19 Feb '17 03:35
    They are all crooks in varying degrees, all liars in varying degrees.
    Making a piece which describes the shortcomings of the other (thus inferring strength on the part of party not under 'scrutiny' at the moment) pointing out the obvious sin, while being a sinner of the same nature is childish, retrograde.
    Actual crimes committed by rank and file career ...[text shortened]... rime is warrant to remove from office and prosecute.
    The media plays it like politics as usual.
    Once again, thank you Kellyanne!