Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Jun '17 17:20 / 2 edits
    I've often wondered about the mentality of those who read and believe the articles in supermarket tabloids.

I've also often wondered about the mentality of Trump Supporters.

Turns out that they are one and the same.

There is an extremely strong correlation between readers of supermarket tabloids such as "The National Enquirer" and Trump Supporters.

This helps explain how Trump supports differentiate between "real news" and. "fake news"

David Pecker runs "The National Enquirer" as well as several other supermarket tabloids:
    Pecker said that the Enquirer’s support of Trump is a straightforward response to its audience. Since January, 2016, Enquirer issues with Trump as the main image have sold between two and fifteen per cent more than the weekly average for non-Trump covers. “They voted for Trump,” Pecker told me, speaking of his readers. “And ninety-six per cent want him reëlected today. That’s the correlation. These are white working people, who love to see takedowns of celebrities, and they want to see—which is unusual, who would think these people would love a billionaire?—the billionaire’s pulpit. They know him from fourteen seasons on ‘The Apprentice’ as the boss, and they loved it when he fired those people and ridiculed them.” Pecker conveyed this admiration to Trump directly: “I’d tell him every time I’d see him. I’d say, ‘Who cares about governor or mayor, you should be President. They love you. These people love you.'”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/03/the-national-enquirers-fervor-for-trump

Background on David Pecker from the same article:
    Every Wednesday afternoon, in a windowless conference room in an office building at the tip of lower Manhattan, David Pecker decides what will be on the cover of the following week’s National Enquirer. Pecker is the longtime chief executive of American Media, Inc., which owns most of the nation’s supermarket tabloids and gossip magazines, including the Star, the Globe, the Examiner, and OK!, as well as the flagship Enquirer. Pecker’s tabloids have few subscribers and minimal advertising. Virtually all their revenue comes from impulse purchases at the checkout counter. A successful Enquirer cover can drive sales fifteen per cent above the weekly average of three hundred and twenty-five thousand copies, and a lemon can hurt sales just as badly, so the choice of cover headlines and photographs represents a nearly existential challenge every week.
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Jun '17 10:33
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I've often wondered about the mentality of those who read and believe the articles in supermarket tabloids.

I've also often wondered about the mentality of Trump Supporters.

Turns out that they are one and the same.

There is an extremely strong correlation between readers of supermarket tabloids such as "The National Enquirer" and Trump Supporte ...[text shortened]... f cover headlines and photographs represents a nearly existential challenge every week. [/quote]
    A real peckerhead for sure. Support the political party that results in the most profit.