Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 22 Jan '17 18:38
    Read it and weep. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-pope/the-most-dangerous-bill-y_b_14067390.html
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '17 18:41
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Read it and weep. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-pope/the-most-dangerous-bill-y_b_14067390.html
    Been there, done that: http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/from-the-party-that-brought-us-the-great-depression.171462

    I remain skeptical the REINs Act will ever become law.
  3. 22 Jan '17 18:42 / 1 edit
    So dangerous requiring that Congress approve laws passed by unelected officials. So dangerous indeed.
  4. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    22 Jan '17 20:12
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Read it and weep. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-pope/the-most-dangerous-bill-y_b_14067390.html
    Do you know why they applaud (well, at least in ceremony) at the opening and ending bell on Wall Street, no matter how the market fared?
    Because as long as people are trading, the traders are making money.
    Do you know why the legal system hasn't been fixed in the two plus centuries we've been a country?
    Because it isn't about justice, but billable hours.
    Do you know why the Senate doesn't simply make laws which abide by common sense?
    Because they would be out of a job.
  5. 22 Jan '17 20:19
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So dangerous requiring that Congress approve laws passed by unelected officials. So dangerous indeed.
    We are talking about laws that mean you can trust that when you buy a toy for your children it will not harm them. That cars will remain safe. That the food you buy in the store packaged or fresh produce or meat meets standards so you and yours do not become ill or worse. Not to mention chemicals in products, the air we breath, etc. are safe for humans. I tend to avoid products from China because I do not trust their safety rules and regs. Starting with the Trump administration, Made in the USA will be suspect. It will hurt our exports. Those of us close to the Canadian border will spend our money there as they tend to have sound rules and regs protecting consumers.
  6. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Jan '17 20:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Been there, done that: http://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/from-the-party-that-brought-us-the-great-depression.171462

    I remain skeptical the REINs Act will ever become law.
    In a world where Donald Trump actually became the current president (and Republicans control both houses), can you reasonably be skeptical of this?

    This is the same party that voted to eliminate the Office of Congressional Ethics. Had Trump tweeted approval of the measure rather than distancing himself from it, chances are that Reps would not have reversed their decision.
  7. 22 Jan '17 20:26
    Originally posted by Phranny
    We are talking about laws that mean you can trust that when you buy a toy for your children it will not harm them. That cars will remain safe. That the food you buy in the store packaged or fresh produce or meat meets standards so you and yours do not become ill or worse. Not to mention chemicals in products, the air we breath, etc. are safe for humans. I ...[text shortened]... order will spend our money there as they tend to have sound rules and regs protecting consumers.
    Constitution gives Congress the right to pass laws, not unelected officials. Do you think Congress shouldn't be trusted with its Constitutional obligation?
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Jan '17 20:43
    Originally posted by Phranny
    We are talking about laws that mean you can trust that when you buy a toy for your children it will not harm them. That cars will remain safe. That the food you buy in the store packaged or fresh produce or meat meets standards so you and yours do not become ill or worse. Not to mention chemicals in products, the air we breath, etc. are safe for humans. I ...[text shortened]... order will spend our money there as they tend to have sound rules and regs protecting consumers.
    To Republicans, this translates to "being ruled by the government", and could limit the power of Big Business (which Reps are in love with). The power to pursue personal gain, even at the expense of others, has been has become tranparent as the COP's MO, to the point that they're not even trying to hide it. Just look at their vote to abolish the power of the Congressional Ethics department.

    Taking the position that the welfare of the people is more important than unrestricted practices for personal or corporate gain, falls on deaf ears when speaking with conservatives.
  9. 22 Jan '17 20:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    To Republicans, this translates to "being ruled by the government", and could limit the power of Big Business (which Reps are in love with). The power to pursue personal gain, even at the expense of others, has been has become tranparent as the COP's MO, to the point that they're not even trying to hide it. Just look at their vote to abolish the power of the ...[text shortened]... d practices for personal or corporate gain, falls on deaf ears when speaking with conservatives.
    The Lying Simpleton Vivify once again simply spews bigoted statements rooted in ignorance and hate.
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Jan '17 20:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Constitution gives Congress the right to pass laws, not unelected officials. Do you think Congress shouldn't be trusted with its Constitutional obligation?
    During the last presidency, Reps set a record number of filibusters, and even shut down the government. Programs affected by this include WIC, a program designed to assist women with giving food to infants and children. Should such an organization be trusted to approve laws that benefit the public, when they've proven time and again that they side with Big Business rather than the people? Should a Congress controlled by a party that voted to abolish the Ethics department be trusted to do this?
  11. 22 Jan '17 20:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    During the last presidency, Reps set a record number of filibusters, and even shut down the government. Programs affected by this include WIC, a program designed to assist women with giving food to infants and children. Should such an organization be trusted to approve laws that benefit the public, when they've proven time and again that they side with Big ...[text shortened]... ongress controlled by a party that voted to abolish the Ethics department be trusted to do this?
    The lying bigoted vivify said Republicans, not some Republicans. The bigoted vivify is too simple minded to make the distinction.
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Jan '17 21:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The Lying Simpleton Vivify once again simply spews bigoted statements rooted in ignorance and hate.
    You and Duchess share the same mindset of personally attacking anyone who disagrees with you, and are both highly despised on this forum. It's no surprise that you'd eventually post alike.
  13. 22 Jan '17 21:18
    Originally posted by vivify
    You and Duchess share the same mindset of personally attacking anyone who disagrees with you, and are both highly despised on this forum. It's no surprise that you'd eventually post alike.
    The Lying Simpleton vivify is unable to see that there is no debate in this forum, just a majority of libtards trying to force their point of view down the throat of the minority. Get over yourself leftist pig.
  14. 22 Jan '17 21:24 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    You and Duchess share the same mindset of personally attacking anyone who disagrees with you,
    and are both highly despised on this forum. It's no surprise that you'd eventually post alike.
    I would have written nothing in this thread *if* the troll Vivify had not started lying about me again.
    The lying troll Vivify shows his desperation and extreme dishonesty in attempting to conflate Eladar and me.
    In fact, it's long been well-known that Eladar, an extreme right-wing racist sexist white
    American man, and I are about the most permanent of enemies at RHP.

    Here's the praise that the lying troll Vivify recently wrote about the lying troll Whodey,
    another extreme right-wing racist sexist white American.

    "You've always been one of the funnier posters on this site.
    You're always interesting, even when I disagree with you."
    --Vivify (to Whodey, 14 January 2017)

    The lying troll Vivify craves popularity in this forum dominated by white men.
    But the overwhelming majority of writers have dismissed Whodey as a pathological liar,
    a troll who tirelessly spews nonsense, worthless to them but 'interesting' to the idiotic Vivify.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    23 Jan '17 05:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    You and Duchess share the same mindset of personally attacking anyone who disagrees with you, and are both highly despised on this forum. It's no surprise that you'd eventually post alike.
    Except she's more intelligent by an order of magnitude.