Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:32
    The most successful religion in the last 100 years is Leftism.

This is what Dennis Prager had to say about it.

Dennis Prager had this to say about it.

For at least the last hundred years, the world’s most dynamic religion has been neither Christianity nor Islam.

It is leftism.

Most people do not recognize what is probably the single most important fact of modern life. One reason is that leftism is overwhelmingly secular (more than merely secular: it is inherently opposed to all traditional religions), and therefore people do not regard it as a religion. Another is that leftism so convincingly portrays itself as solely the product of reason, intellect, and science that it has not been seen as the dogma-based ideology that it is. Therefore, the vast majority of the people who affirm leftist beliefs think of their views as the only way to properly think about life.

That, in turn, explains why anyone who opposes leftism is labeled anti-intellectual, anti-progress, anti-science, anti-minority and anti-reason (among many other pejorative epithets): leftists truly believe that there is no other way to think.

How successful has leftism been?

It dominates the thinking of Europe, much of Latin America, Canada, and Asia, as well as the thinking of the political and intellectual elites of most of the world. Outside of the Muslim world, it is virtually the only way in which news is reported and virtually the only way in which young people are educated from elementary school through university.

Only the United States, of all Western countries, has resisted leftism. But that resistance is fading as increasing numbers of Americans abandon traditional Judeo-Christian religions, lead secular lives, are educated by teachers whose views are almost uniformly left-wing and are exposed on a daily basis virtually exclusively to leftist views in their news and entertainment media.

And when there is resistance, the left declares it “extremist.” Merely believing that marriage should remain defined as it has been throughout recorded history, as between a man and a woman, renders you an extremist. So, too, belief that government should be small — the Tea Party position — renders one an extremist. Last week, the managing editor of Time Magazine, Richard Stengel, said on MSNBC that the Salafis, the most radical Islamist sect, are “the Tea Party of Muslim democracy.”

Even Christianity and Judaism, the pillars of Judeo-Christian values, the moral value system upon which America was founded and thanks to which it became the world’s beacon of liberty, have been widely influenced by leftism. Many priests, ministers, rabbis and many Jewish and Christian seminaries are leftist in content and Jewish or Christian only in form.

Years ago, I debated one of the most prominent rabbis in the Conservative movement of Judaism on the issue of whether morality must be God-based. The Ivy League Ph.D., yarmulke-wearing rabbi argued that God was not morally necessary. If you want to understand why so many Jews vote left while nearly all the Western world’s opposition to — and frequently hatred of — Israel emanates from the left, one explanation is this: For most American Jews, their religion is leftism, while Judaism is their ethnicity and culture. The Reform, and increasingly the Conservative, movements have, to a large extent, become political movements that use Hebrew and Jewish rituals to equate Judaism with progressive politics.

Within mainstream Protestantism and Catholicism, the same dominance of leftist values exists. The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops largely holds the same social and economic views as the Democratic Party and The New York Times editorial page. It differs with the left with regard to same-sex marriage, abortion and religious freedom issues such as those pertaining to Catholic hospitals and government-funded contraception. As for mainstream Protestant denominations, they, too, are largely indistinguishable from leftism. Proof? Ask a liberal Protestant minister to name one important area in which he and leftism differ. Ask a liberal Reform or Conservative rabbi the same question. Their silence will be telling.

The truth is that the left has been far more successful in converting in converting Jews and Christians to Leftism than Christianity and Judaism have been in influencing leftists to convert to Christianity or Judaism.

Finally, leftism has even attained considerable success at undoing the central American values of liberty, “In God We Trust,” and “E Pluribus Unum,” supplanting liberty with egalitarianism, a God-based society with secularism, and “E Pluribus Unum” with multiculturalism. (I make this case at length in “Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph” [HarperCollins].)

This triumph of the twentieth century’s most dynamic religion — leftism — is why, even in the midst of an ongoing recession, the leftist candidate may win. As I wrote in my last column, it’s not just the economy, stupid
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:33
    re·li·gion
    [rəˈlijən]

a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

archaic : scrupulous conformity

a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:43
    Is "Rightism" also a religion?

No need to answer, I don't really care :/
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:46
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Is "Rightism" also a religion?

No need to answer, I don't really care :/
    Sure.

However, Leftism is the most successful religion globally.

Just look at such places as corporate America. Dennis Prager is suing Youtube for censoring his videos.

https://www.prageru.com/press-release-prager-university-prageru-takes-legal-action-against-google-and-youtube-discrimination

I'm guessing, with a liberal court system, he loses.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:503 edits
    I love this quote from Dennis.

"If you want to understand why so many Jews vote left while nearly all the Western world’s opposition to — and frequently hatred of — Israel emanates from the left, one explanation is this: For most American Jews, their religion is leftism, while Judaism is their ethnicity and culture."

This answers my question as to why so many American and European Jews are left leaning even though the left targets Israel the most over any despotic regime on the globe. The Catholic church is another example as many seem to be left leaning.

Secular Jews and Christians tend to fall in line with Leftist ideology because theirs is an empty vacuum that must be filled with something. Conversely, those of faith who practice their faith and serious about it tend to oppose Leftism.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:51
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Sure.

Just look at such places as corporate America. Dennis Prager is suing Youtube for censoring his videos.

https://www.prageru.com/press-release-prager-university-prageru-takes-legal-action-against-google-and-youtube-discrimination

You feel that the company Google does not have a right to restrict certain videos on Youtube?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:53
    You feel that the company Google does not have a right to restrict certain videos on Youtube?
    I am not questioning their right to do so, but Dennis is in a court of law and we will see where that leads.

I'm just telling you how the world is.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 15:59
    I am not questioning their right to do so, but Dennis is in a court of law and we will see where that leads.

I'm just telling you how the world is.
    So you would agree with the "liberal court" if he lost the case?

Don't hesitate to be a bit clearer about your viewpoints, Whodey.

You would be in agreement with these "leftists", no?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 16:22
    So you would agree with the "liberal court" if he lost the case?

Don't hesitate to be a bit clearer about your viewpoints, Whodey.

You would be in agreement with these "leftists", no?
    I am free to question court rulings, as we all should.

History is ripe with horrible rulings, even the Fab 9 in black robes.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 16:40
    I am free to question court rulings, as we all should.

History is ripe with horrible rulings, even the Fab 9 in black robes.
    But you would agree with the "liberal, leftist" court in this case, right? Or not?

Let's see how many ways you can find to dodge the question...
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 16:57
    Sure.

It is frankly astounding how unprincipled right wingers are. Normally any type of interference with a company's ability to control content on their business property evokes shrieks of outrage from the laissez faire adherents on the right BUT when a conservative radio shock jock complains that some of his videos have been placed on the "Restricted Mode" on YouTube (a voluntary setting chosen by a mere 1.5-2% of users which is essentially a parental control function which omits videos deemed not suitable for younger audiences) it suddenly becomes proof of the vile censorship directed at these fearless purveyors of the truth.

What a laugh.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 17:01

For at least the last hundred years, the world’s most dynamic religion has been neither Christianity nor Islam.

It is leftism.

Most people do not recognize what is probably the single most ...[text shortened]... , the leftist candidate may win. As I wrote in my last column, it’s not just the economy, stupid
    An old and worn out tactic of the right is to call anything that opposes them a religion. They did the same with atheism (which doesn't believe in a god), science (which disproved the claims of their god), and now "leftism" (which they claim shuns god).

This is basically a game of "I know you are but what I am I?".

Left: "You're blinded by religion."
    Right: "Nuh-uh, YOU are!!!!"
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 19:45

It is leftism.

Most people do not recognize what is probably the single most ...[text shortened]... , the leftist candidate may win. As I wrote in my last column, it’s not just the economy, stupid
    “Merely believing that marriage should remain defined as it has been throughout recorded history, as between a man and a woman, renders you an extremist. So, too, belief that government should be small — the Tea Party position — renders one an extremist.”

How can a government remain small while interfering with people’s choice of who to marry?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:14
    But you would agree with the "liberal, leftist" court in this case, right? Or not?

Let's see how many ways you can find to dodge the question...
    I have seen the videos and have no idea how they would be offensive to a younger audience.

Have you seen them?

That is the question here.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 20:15
    Originally posted by @js357
    “Merely believing that marriage should remain defined as it has been throughout recorded history, as between a man and a woman, renders you an extremist. So, too, belief that government should be small — the Tea Party position — renders one an extremist.”

How can a government remain small while interfering with people’s choice of who to marry?
    I would agree that the state should not be in the marriage business. However, big government just keeps getting bigger and refuses to relinquish such powers.