Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    11 Dec '10 21:09
    Realisticly, who will be the candidate for the Republicans.

Now, if by some chance obama stepped down, who would be the candidate for the Democats?

Who do you think would win the election between your two candidates?
  2. 11 Dec '10 21:19
    I think the Republicans could win the next election if they find a credible candidate. But I don't really know who that would be.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Dec '10 22:57
    Originally posted by uzless

Now, if by some chance obama stepped down, who would be the candidate for the Democats?

1) I suppose Palin or Gingrich is possible, though people like Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty are the favorites. Personally, I could see someone like John Thune sneaking in and stealing the show.

2) Hillary Clinton, probably

3)

Obama > Palin
    Obama > Gingrich
    Romney <toss up> Obama
    Thune <toss up> Obama
    Obama > Pawlenty

Same basic thing for Hillary, though I think Hillary-Gingrich is also a toss up at this point.
  4. 11 Dec '10 23:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    1) I suppose Palin or Gingrich is possible, though people like Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty are the favorites. Personally, I could see someone like John Thune sneaking in and stealing the show.

2) Hillary Clinton, probably

3)

Obama > Palin
    Obama > Gingrich
    Romney <toss up> Obama
    Thune <toss up> Obama
    Obama > Pawlenty

Same basic thing for Hillary, though I think Hillary-Gingrich is also a toss up at this point.
    Is that an arrow or greater than?

If it's an arrow, do you really think that Palin could beat Obama? You need centrists and to pull a few from the other side in order to win the Presidency. I don't know anyone on the left nor any in the middle that would vote for Palin for Miss Alaska much less the Presidency. In fact, I have quite a few extremely right winged friends who abhor her.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Dec '10 23:18
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    Is that an arrow or greater than?

If it's an arrow, do you really think that Palin could beat Obama? You need centrists and to pull a few from the other side in order to win the Presidency. I don't know anyone on the left nor any in the middle that would vote for Palin for Miss Alaska much less the Presidency. In fact, I have quite a few extremely right winged friends who abhor her.
    Arrow means "I think would defeat" as in "Obama would defeat Palin or Gingrich."

Many Republicans would stand a good chance against Obama, but it's too early to tell how good. If the economy recovers in the next year or so, it may be near impossible to beat him. If unemployment is still 10%, he is very beatable.
  6. 11 Dec '10 23:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    Arrow means "I think would defeat" as in "Obama would defeat Palin or Gingrich."

Many Republicans would stand a good chance against Obama, but it's too early to tell how good. If the economy recovers in the next year or so, it may be near impossible to beat him. If unemployment is still 10%, he is very beatable.
    Ah, okay.
  7. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    12 Dec '10 20:15

I'd have to give Mitt Romney the nod as the leading candidate, he seems the most electable Republican out there. I'm sure the Democrats are hoping Sarah Palin gets the nomination though, that would be fun to watch!
  8. 12 Dec '10 20:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'd have to give Mitt Romney the nod as the leading candidate, he seems the most electable Republican out there. I'm sure the Democrats are hoping Sarah Palin gets the nomination though, that would be fun to watch!
    He's a Mormon, though. That makes him a lot less electable.

Still, being elected governor in a non-Mormon blue state does speak in his favour.
  9. 12 Dec '10 20:25

Whatever happened to Huckabee? or good old Michael Steele?
  10. 12 Dec '10 20:30
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Whatever happened to Huckabee? or good old Michael Steele?
    Michael Steele? Haha.
  11. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    13 Dec '10 06:58
    so it sounds like the republicans will have a tough time finding a credible candidate to run as president. Or put another way, they are no shoe-in to win despite obama's low rating and the recent mid-terms going republican.

I note none of you suggested Jeb Bush. Any thoughts on his chances? The Rep's would love to have another puppet in office. They could try again with Pallin but i think she's been exposed already and is damaged goods.

Whomever the cadidate is, i think they'll be in for a rough ride in 2 years. Although, Obama has to step up. So far, he's been abysmal in living up to expectations.
  12. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    13 Dec '10 11:06 / 1 edit
    Pun intended......the next GOP candidate will come out of left field so that he will get in under the media radar and have a triumphant run much like Obama's well orchestrated candidacy. My money's on someone in their 40's-50's with good looks and charm, but intelligent and razor sharp with the ability to talk off the cuff and on the back foot while chewing gum.
  13. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    13 Dec '10 11:08
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Pun intended......the next GOP candidate will come out of left field so that he will get in under the media radar and have a triumphant run much like Obama's well orchestrated candidacy. My money's on someone in their 40's-50's with good looks and charm, but intelligent and razor sharp with the ability to talk off the cuff and on the back foot while chewing gum.
    ...had a good look.....still nada!
  14. 13 Dec '10 14:47
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sure that is what they will do. They will find another McCain't out there to run.
  15. 13 Dec '10 14:50
    so it sounds like the republicans will have a tough time finding a credible candidate to run as president. Or put another way, they are no shoe-in to win despite obama's low rating and the recent mid-terms going republican.

I note none of you suggested Jeb Bush. Any thoughts on his chances? The Rep's would love to have another puppet in office. They ...[text shortened]... . Although, Obama has to step up. So far, he's been abysmal in living up to expectations.
    Jeb Bush? Are you serious? The American people voted against "W" in droves last election because they were sick of wars abroad and massive spending and ever increasing government. So then enters Obama to do more of the same.

Really the formula is simple, Introduce a candidate that is a conservative closer to Reagan, if not more so, who has camera appeal and a silver tongue and its over!!!

The only question remains, is the Repulican party conservative enough to offer such a candidate? I submit that the party is still drowning in Mitt Romney-like progressivism to do so.