Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    18 Nov '13 18:08
    Good article explaining what an idiot Obama truly is. Democrats won't win anything higher than Dogcatcher in 2016.

Marc A. Thiessen
    Opinion Writer
    The Obamacare time bomb
    Share to Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on LinkedIn
    Add to PersonalPost
    Share via Email
    Print Article
    More
    By Marc A. Thiessen, Monday, November 18, 9:38 AM
    There is an Obamacare time bomb set to go off just before the 2014 midterm elections — and President Obama’s purported “fix” for the millions of Americans losing their health insurance doesn’t defuse it. If anything, it could make the blast worse.

In truth, Democrats are damned if Obama’s fix works and damned if it doesn’t.

Marc A. Thiessen

A fellow with the American Enterprise Institute, Thiessen writes a weekly column for The Post.
    Archive
    Follow on TwitterFacebookRSS
    You may also like...

Charles Krauthammer
    Why liberals are panicked about Obamacare

George F. Will
    Building excitement for 2016

For three years, at Obama’s direction, insurers and state regulators have been planning to cancel millions of individual market plans and move those people into the Obamacare exchanges at the end of this year. That process cannot be easily reversed six weeks before the transfer was to take place. Insurers did not negotiate prices with doctors and hospitals, or put plans through the state regulatory process. There is no magic wand the president can wave to suddenly reinstate canceled plans.

If Obama’s fix fails, a humanitarian disaster will ensue. Come Jan. 1, millions of Americans could find themselves without the health coverage Obama promised they could keep. Suddenly, the horror stories we are hearing today of people getting cancellation letters will be replaced by horror stories of cancer patients having their treatment disrupted and sick children being cut off from their doctors and hospitals. The outrage Americans are expressing today will pale by comparison to the outrage that will ensue when people who had insurance before Obamacare can’t get medical care they are accustomed to because they lost their plans.

But let’s say, by some miracle, Obama’s plan does work, and many in the individual market now losing their plans get to keep them for a year. That just means they will start getting cancellation letters 90 days before the end of the year. In October 2014. One month before the midterm elections.

That is a political disaster for the Democrats.

It gets worse. As the American Enterprise Institute’s Dr. Scott Gottlieb has pointed out, there is already a second wave of cancellations set to come right before the 2014 mid-term elections. It turns out that many small businesses with fewer than 50 employees, who buy in the small-group market, were able to exploit a loophole in Obamacare and avoid for one year the mandates being placed on plans in the individual market. Those businesses get to keep offering coverage that does not meet Obamacare requirements until the end of 2014. But, Gottlieb writes, that means that “starting in October 2014, many employees of small businesses will start getting the same notices that are now being mailed to individuals, informing that their existing health plans are also being cancelled.”

In other words, right before Election Day 2014, people in the small-group market are scheduled to lose their plans. If the fix Obama announced last week succeeds, then many more in the individual market will also lose their plans at the very same time — and Democrats could lose control of the Senate.

Obamacare supporters argue that a year from now the Healthcare.gov Web site will be working (fingers crossed), in which case all those people losing plans will have somewhere to go. One problem with that. Most of the people in the individual market are young and healthy and don’t use a lot of services. It was Obama’s plan all along to forcibly move millions of those younger, healthier people into the exchanges next year to subsidize care for the old and the sick. But if those younger, healthier people don’t join the exchanges next year, as planned, then the risk pool in 2014 will be older and sicker than expected. That will cause premiums to skyrocket for 2015 — because insurers base their 2015 premiums on their 2014 experience.

So even if the Web site does work a year from now, it won’t matter because Obamacare will be unaffordable. Those losing their plans right before Election Day will be in the same bind they are in today. Except there will be potentially millions more of them than there are today.

There is little Obama can do to repair this mess. If his “fix” fails, then millions in the individual market will lose their insurance coverage on Jan. 1, causing a health-care catastrophe in a few weeks. If his “fix” works, then millions of people in the individual market will see their plans canceled a year from now (along with millions in the small-group market) — causing a health-care catastrophe right before Americans go to the polls.

As Obama and the Democrats are learning, there’s no magic reset button when government screws up one-sixth of the economy. Obamacare isn’t just a health-care disaster for the American people — it’s a political disaster for the Democratic Party.

Read more from Marc Thiessen’s archive, follow him on Twitter or subscribe to his updates on Facebook.
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Nov '13 18:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Good article explaining what an idiot Obama truly is. Democrats won't win anything higher than Dogcatcher in 2016.

Marc A. Thiessen
    Opinion Writer
    The Obamacare time bomb
    Share to Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on LinkedIn
    Add to PersonalPost
    Share via Email
    Print Article
    More
    Ther ...[text shortened]... ore from Marc Thiessen’s archive, follow him on Twitter or subscribe to his updates on Facebook.
    It's not just a health-care and political disaster either. It's going to hose the economy as well. Obama is a SCOAMF.
  3. 18 Nov '13 18:42
    Then why do republicans sound so desperate?
    I must also point out that Obama isn't standing in 2016.
  4. 18 Nov '13 18:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Devoid of anything themselves I suspect.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Nov '13 18:57 / 1 edit
    Right now, the ACA is a historic disaster and has a chance to go down as the worst piece of legislation since the Fugitive Slave Act.

Yes, the Dems have been on top until a few weeks ago, but check out the US media. It's the Dems who are desperate right now. There are even rumblings about repealing the ACA by veto-proof majority. If the website isn't fixed soon and if small business and individuals keep losing their policies, I'd say that is a distinct possibility.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57612721/is-the-affordable-care-act-in-serious-jeopardy/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelcannon/2013/11/18/yes-obamacare-repeal-is-still-in-the-cards/
  6. 18 Nov '13 19:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    Right now, the ACA is a historic disaster and has a chance to go down as the worst piece of legislation since the Fugitive Slave Act.

Yes, the Dems have been on top until a few weeks ago, but check out the US media. It's the Dems who are desperate right now. There are even rumblings about repealing the ACA by veto-proof majority. If the website isn't fixed s ...[text shortened]... all business and individuals keep losing their policies, I'd say that is a distinct possibility.
    Its not very hard to set up a website, there must be other problems rather than purely IT related.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Nov '13 19:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its not very hard to set up a website, there must be other problems rather than purely IT related.
    Yes, there are.

And they are legion.
  8. 18 Nov '13 20:25
    Someone asked not long ago in the debate forum why not give Obamacare some time and see how it goes. I replied that the damage will have already been done. As we can see it has now.
  9. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Nov '13 21:08
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Someone asked not long ago in the debate forum why not give Obamacare some time and see how it goes. I replied that the damage will have already been done. As we can see it has now.
    That's like saying lets just watch our house burn and see how we like it.
  10. Standard member Soothfast
    18 Nov '13 21:13

Marc A. Thiessen
    Opinion Writer
    The Obamacare time bomb
    Share to Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on LinkedIn
    Add to PersonalPost
    Share via Email
    Print Article
    More
    Ther ...[text shortened]... ore from Marc Thiessen’s archive, follow him on Twitter or subscribe to his updates on Facebook.
    This is all like saying, well, there's this car, see…and it's going straight on a straight stretch of road, see…but there's a curve five miles ahead, so since the car is going straight toward a curve in the road, it's going off the cliff and total disaster is inevitable.

Debating 2014 or 2016 based on the initial six-weeks of birth throes of the ACA is pointless. Come back in even 8 months, and we'll talk again.
  11. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Nov '13 21:17
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    This is all like saying, well, there's this car, see…and it's going straight on a straight stretch of road, see…but there's a curve five miles ahead, so since the car is going straight toward a curve in the road, it's going off the cliff and total disaster is inevitable.

Debating 2014 or 2016 based on the initial six-weeks of birth throes of the ACA is pointless. Come back in even 8 months, and we'll talk again.
    You just don't get it. It makes me happy. Yes, please do nothing for 8 months and lets just see. lol
  12. Standard member Soothfast
    18 Nov '13 21:18
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    That's like saying lets just watch our house burn and see how we like it.
    No it's not. You can't "unburn" a burnt house, but policies can always be replaced with new policies.

The private US health "system" is so ridiculously entangled and complicated that there really is no way to begin fixing it without making it worse for some in the initial stages. The public option would have been the "cleanest" way forward, but conservatives would never have allowed it to pass in 2009.

Oh, I forget, what's the Republican plan for health care reform again? Could you jog my memory?
  13. Standard member Soothfast
    18 Nov '13 21:24
    You just don't get it. It makes me happy. Yes, please do nothing for 8 months and lets just see. lol
    You're like a little kid. I mean, obviously I'm not going to be making course corrections for the ACA in my capacity as a semi-regular participant of a debate forum, am I? But others will be working on it. This is how anything is done in science and industry, and I mean anything. Devise a plan, implement it, and then optimize it as data comes in. Yeah, it's called data, dude. Sciencey stuff folks like you think is all just commie central planning and the parlor games of academicians in tweed coats atop ivory towers. But it's how the real world works -- the world of adults.

Little kids? They get to sit on the couch and whine and complain. That's you. That's Sasquatch. You got a plan? Put it on the table. Oh, no plan? Then shut up and let the adults get something done.
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Nov '13 21:27
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    No it's not. You can't "unburn" a burnt house, but policies can always be replaced with new policies.

The private US health "system" is so ridiculously entangled and complicated that there really is no way to begin fixing it without making it worse for some in the initial stages. The public option would have been the "cleanest" way forward, but conserv ...[text shortened]... Oh, I forget, what's the Republican plan for health care reform again? Could you jog my memory?
    There were many ideas floated by Republicans that got ignored while Obamacare was stuffed down our throats and sold to the public on a web of lies. Go find them yourself.
  15. Standard member Soothfast
    18 Nov '13 21:33
    There were many ideas floated by Republicans that got ignored while Obamacare was stuffed down our throats and sold to the public on a web of lies. Go find them yourself.
    Funny, I don't seem to remember any Republican plan for health care reform in 2009 that would help get over 30 million uninsured people some coverage. Or even 5 million. I do remember an insanely idiotic Repub plan to replace Medicare with "vouchers," though.