Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Jun '10 21:22
    got any off-topic Non-Debate topics?
  2. 19 Jun '10 21:25 / 1 edit
    a night or two ago i was watching Cops.

they were in Providence, R.I., but all the cops seem to have NY accents.

is this accent prevalent in the Northeast? or just around NYC and the cops may have all been from NYC?

P.S. the combatants had either black or Southern accents on one side, or Russian/Ukrainian/E. Europe on the other. the E. European guy was angry because the little black kids wouldn't stop playing in his apt complex's parking lot and dinging his car (the kids were from a different complex).
  3. 19 Jun '10 21:26
    like, how far IS Providence from NYC?

who here is from NYC? do y'all have NY accents? are NY accents distinguishable by district?
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Jun '10 03:55
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    like, how far IS Providence from NYC?

who here is from NYC? do y'all have NY accents? are NY accents distinguishable by district?
    I'm originally from NYC; now I live in the suburbs of NYC.

Providence is about 3 hours away once you're north of the city (which could take a while depending on where in the city you are).

I would figure people from Providence would have more of a Boston/ New England accent than a NY accent.
  5. 20 Jun '10 05:57
    i was at the NYC airport, once, and that's it . maybe i just couldn't tell the difference between the accents.
  6. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    20 Jun '10 08:00
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    i was at the NYC airport, once, and that's it . maybe i just couldn't tell the difference between the accents.
    I had a lecturer once(an American) who claimed that the average New Yorker spoke faster than anyone else in America and probably the rest of the world as well. He said most people speak around 160 wpm but New Yorkers will clock around 260 wpm.
  7. 20 Jun '10 09:37
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I had a lecturer once(an American) who claimed that the average New Yorker spoke faster than anyone else in America and probably the rest of the world as well. He said most people speak around 160 wpm but New Yorkers will clock around 260 wpm.
    I'm not a New Yorker, not even an old one, and now I suddenly understand why I have a very low wpm rate...