Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 13:42
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-flees-london-bridge-terror-10557555

Man flees Islamic terrorists with pint of beer in his hand.

At least England has some leadership and inspiration.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 13:49
    I think the message here is crystal clear.

You can have our country but you can't have our beer! 😵

Run Forest, run!!!
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 17:15
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40156559/thingsthatleavebritainreeling-trends-after-london-attack-in-response-to-headline
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 02:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-flees-london-bridge-terror-10557555

Man flees Islamic terrorists with pint of beer in his hand.
    At least England has some leadership and inspiration.
    Here's some dialogue from the play _The Devil's Disciple_ by George Bernard Shaw:
    Anthony Anderson: It is in the hour of trial that a man finds his true profession.
    Richard Dudgeon: I have behaved like a fool.
    Judith Anderson: Like a hero.
    Richard Dudgeon: Much the same thing, perhaps.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attack-borough-market-martial-arts-expert-journalist-bouncer-stabbed-terrorists-bridge-isis-a7772191.html

"London terror attack: Martial arts expert stabbed while trying to protect bouncer
    says he thought: 'This isn't happening on my watch':
    'Don’t know whether it was stupid or noble,' Geoff Ho, who cannot speak after being stabbed in the neck, writes."

Geoff Ho, a business editor at the 'Sunday Express' newspaper, intervened to protect a man who was attacked.
    Ho (of Chinese heritage), who has training in martial arts, then apparently found himself
    fighting for his life against up to three terrorists armed with knives. He was stabbed in the throat.
    His intervention might have diverted the terrorists long enough to save other people's lives.
    Yet Ho was self-deprecating about his actions, wondering if he had acted out of bravery or stupidity.

Isabelle Oderberg, a journalist who's his close friend, said that she was not surprised by what
    Ho did because "he would have stood up and been counted because he's just that type of person."

Will Jet Li make a cameo appearance playing Geoff Ho in a film adaptation of this event?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 11:35

Run Forest, run!!!
    If you look really closely in the background, you can... almost... see...
    Can you make that out?
    Does it look like there's some kind of costume changing going on?

Is that bizarre, or is it--- once again--- just me who thinks it highly peculiar to see a cadre of police officers responding to yet another terrorist attack but taking the time to do a complete wardrobe change?
    On the side of the road?
    In the middle of the emergency?

I'm such a kook, amirite?

YouTube
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 11:39
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40156559/thingsthatleavebritainreeling-trends-after-london-attack-in-response-to-headline
    It's prolly nothing, but the fifth example they cite, "Biting into a chocolate bar to discover it's Hershey's and not Cadburys"?
    Yeah.
    KitKat is made by the water-grabbing Nestle, not Hershey.

Nice try, global cabal...
  7. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 12:34
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I'm such a kook, amirite?
    You are correct, although I would have chosen a different four-letter noun.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 12:58
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    You are correct, although I would have chosen a different four-letter noun.
    Funny, but you seem really good at insult, but you're awfully light on content.
    Did you have something to say about the video?
    Some explanation for it?
    Or is it just perfectly normal for such costume changes to occur during times of crisis?
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 14:41

Run Forest, run!!!
    Insulting people of other nations is a pretty stupid thing to do. Did "The Donald" teach you to do that?? 😞
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 17:25
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Here's some dialogue from the play _The Devil's Disciple_ by George Bernard Shaw:
    Anthony Anderson: It is in the hour of trial that a man finds his true profession.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attac ...[text shortened]... on."

Will Jet Li make a cameo appearance playing Geoff Ho in a film adaptation of this event?
    If he did, he would whoop all three in ten seconds🙂
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 Jun '17 21:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If he did, he would whoop all three in ten seconds🙂
    If knife-wielding terrorist ran into a Gurkha with a kukri, I would bet on the Gurkha.
    Even Japanese soldiers sometimes fled rather than face close combat with the Gurkhas.

I knew a Chinese man with martial arts training, including defending himself against knife attacks.
    As a final test, he had to defend himself against his teacher attacking him with a somewhat dulled knife.
    (Wooden blades were used in earlier training.) It was common for a student to get cut
    and bleed (perhaps requiring stitches) during this test. His teacher explained that most
    people have an inordinate fear of getting cut and bleeding at all. The student has to overcome
    that basic fear, which may include actually getting cut and bleeding (not fatally), in order
    to make the right moves needed to defend oneself in a potentially deadly confrontation.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 02:482 edits

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attac ...[text shortened]... on."

"The terrorist attackers arrived at the restaurant. Most of my friends and the staff hid under tables
    but one of my friends was frozen behind me. I knew I had to face the attackers down, they were
    armed and I had the best chance of delaying them until the police arrived or they'd get everyone.

I had to shield my friends and the people there. Then I noticed they had what looked like
    suicide vests on. I tried to slow them, they attacked. It happened so quickly. The b*****d
    in the Arsenal shirt came at me first. I think I got a hit in on one of them, but either he or
    his accomplice got me with a shot to the throat.
    Also, I want to make it clear that many of my friends are Muslim. The people who attacked me
    were not representative of Islam. I stand in solidarity with my Muslim brothers and sisters."
    --Geoff Ho

By the way, while still in hospital, Geoff Ho has joined Tinder in the hope of finding a woman to date.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 03:21
    "The terrorist attackers arrived at the restaurant. Most of my friends and the staff hid under tables
    but one of my friends was frozen behind me. I knew I had to face the attackers down, they were
    armed and I had the best chance of delaying them until the police arrived or they'd get everyone.

I had to shield my friends and the people there. Then I ...[text shortened]... way, while still in hospital, Geoff Ho has joined Tinder in the hope of finding a woman to date.
    It's so perfect, you'd almost think it's scripted.
    Next feel-good slogan for the campaign, ala Pulse's "Keep Dancing, Orlando," (that grief-inspired ode to fight terrorism with our secret weapon, Ms Whitney Houston, just ten days after the worst mass shooting in American historyReveal Hidden Content
    Sorry, Waco! Time to move on to bigger, better...
    "Just Keep Swiping, London!"
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 03:471 edit
    So what did we learn from this incident of the attack on London Bridge?

The Pope is right. We need to build "bridges", not "walls".

Mwhahahaha!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 04:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It's so perfect, you'd almost think it's scripted.
    Next feel-good slogan for the campaign, ala Pulse's "Keep Dancing, Orlando," (that grief-inspired ode to fight terrorism with our secret weapon, Ms Whitney Houston, just ten days after the [b]worst
    mass shooting in American history[hidden]Sorry, Waco! Time to move on to bigger, better... [/hidden]...
    "Just Keep Swiping, London!"[/b]
    Shut up, dick.